Better MLAT data?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better MLAT data?

One of my pet peeves is the daft way fr24feed uses NTP (it requests time from servers in Oceania, South America, Africa, Europe, North America and Asia every eleven minutes... (I've contacted FR24 and they say they may fix it in future versions...)).

I had a lightbulb moment and as I have a GPS stratum 1 NTP server on site I've edited /etc/hosts to point all those ntp pool hosts to my local NTP server. It may be coincidence but around the same time the "mlat-last-push_count" on the monitor.txt page jumped much higher, so I guess my client is now supplying more MLAT data to FR24?

MLAT use data with ~0,0001 second time accuracy, so NTP is way too bad data to be used for MLAT.

Comment

Cool, so my FR24feed log file is now full of messages like this...
      Code:
       [time][i]Time synchronized correctly, offset -0.0000 seconds, drift 0.0000 seconds/minute
      ...since I updated /etc/hosts to point the ntp pool servers the client looks at to my local GPS stratum 1 server, so I guess it would be good for people with a local stratum 1 NTP server to point their clients to that? My GPS NTP server usually reports its offset is less than 0.00000004s (40ns).

I'm running abcd567's excellent frfeed24, flightaware, planefinder bundle, so I've set my /etc/hosts to redirect the ntp pool lookups from all the clients (I can't see the Flightaware client looking up any ntp pool addresses):

Code:
      #Frfeed24 NTP Pool lookups
      [I]<ipv4 address of local ntp>[/I] 1.africa.pool.ntp.org
      [I]<ipv4 address of local ntp>[/I] 1.asia.pool.ntp.org
      [I]<ipv4 address of local ntp>[/I] 1.europe.pool.ntp.org
      [I]<ipv4 address of local ntp>[/I] 1.north-america.pool.ntp.org
      [I]<ipv4 address of local ntp>[/I] 1.oceania.pool.ntp.org
      [I]<ipv4 address of local ntp>[/I] 1.south-america.pool.ntp.org

#Planefinder NTP Pool lookups
      [I]<ipv4 address of local ntp>[/I] 0.planefinder.pool.ntp.org 1.planefinder.pool.ntp.org 2.planefinder.pool.ntp.org 3.planefinder.pool.ntp.org
      [I]<ipv6 address of local ntp>[/I] 0.planefinder.pool.ntp.org 1.planefinder.pool.ntp.org 2.planefinder.pool.ntp.org 3.planefinder.pool.ntp.org

Comment

Working...
      X