MLAT for ADS-B Aircraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLAT for ADS-B Aircraft

I have noticed that here in NW Germany a lot of aircrafts who send full ADS-B position data (says my sbs basestation) are tracked by MLAT (T-MLAT1). I always thought MLAt was for AC that do not send position data (mode-s only). Why are ADS-B AC tracked with MLAT? Thank You!

Can you provide examples - mode-s hex code/registrations?
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Sure: This evening

B-2005
      D-ATCE
      N-428UP
      EI-GDB

All ADS-B AC and T-MLAT1 tracking

Rgds

Comment

Thank you.

I replayed EI-GDB, Ryanair B738, operating Dublin-Munich on 17th Sept 2018 as FR8896 and the return flight as FR8897. I assume these are flights you tracked on BaseStation.

FR8896 left Dublin being tracked by ADS-B F and T radars, changing to T-MLAT1 over North Wales then back to ADS-B radars until Norwich when it switched back to T-MLAT1 until it reached the Stuttgart area. Descending to Munich it was tracked by ADS-B T and then F radars.

The return flight, FR8897, was mostly showing ADS-B radars but there were some stages of the flight where it showed T-MLAT1.

Assuming your BaseStation was tracking the flight's position at the same time as FR24 was attributing the T-MLAT1 radar source, it looks like an FR24 issue. Especially if you tracked other positional flights on BaseStation that FR24 showed as MLAT.

I won't speculate the cause as there could be a number of possibilities.

Thanks for picking this up. Maybe FR24 will appreciate it too.
        Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Thanks Anmer for the confirmation! Yes, it is an ongoing issue - radar switching from MLAT to ADS-B and back. I was also surprised to learn that one of the Top 20 feeders comes right from my area but I have not seen his radar ID on der FR24 screen yet - go figure!

Rgds sitko

Comment

Working...
          X