Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLAT Not Running

Hi there,

Today I received my ADS-B dongle and ariel. Set up FR24 Feed on my Raspberry Pi. I have various challenges, including the IPv6 issue not allowing initial validation of my email address/location and the an error with DUMP1090 not working. I have, with the helpof this forum overcome all of these issues. I am now down to my last problem with MLAT. When I run sudo fr24feed-status I get the following:

[ ok ] FR24 Feeder/Decoder Process: running.
    [ ok ] FR24 Stats Timestamp: 2018-09-15 07:41:34.
    [ ok ] FR24 Link: connected [UDP].
    [ ok ] FR24 Radar: T-YPPH91.
    [ ok ] FR24 Tracked AC:.
    [ ok ] Receiver: connected (0 MSGS/0 SYNC).
    [FAIL] FR24 MLAT: not running ... failed!

I have stopped and started fr24feed and it occasionally works. But only brielfy when it does. I can use localhost and dump1090...gmap.html to view tracked aircraft when it does connect and occasionally it shows me online via the FR24 app on my iPad.

What have I done/missing to get MLAT working? I am fairly new to the Raspberry Pi so it could be something obvious!

Thank you in advance.

Richard.

I believe I have solved this. I post this as it may help others as previous posts hinted at my solution in the end.

I "logged" on to the DVBT Stick via the HTTP interface (IP of the Raspberry Pi:8754) and went to Settings.

Setting Live setting
    Sharing key: Some letters and numbers!
    Receiver: dvbt
    Host/IP:
    COM/DEV/PATH:
    Process arguments: --net --net-http-port 8080
    Baudrate: Default
    RAW data (30002/30334): no
    SBS Feed (10001): no
    Decoded data (30003): yes
    Logfile mode: 1
    Log file location: /var/log/fr24feed
    Window mode: 0
    MLAT: yes

I needed to add the process arguments and then everything "worked",,,,been up and running for about an hour now, aircraft come and go and all seems OK.

Hope this may help others...

Comment

The "Process arguments: --net --net-http-port 8080" has nothing to do with MLAT, or Tracked A/C or Uploded A/C.

It is for the dump1090 map.
      Even for map, only "--net" is needed.
      You can then see map at

IP of Pi/dump1090/gmap.html

Comment

Thanks for the input. Odd. Not sure how to respond other than that was the only change I made and then everything was ok. Perhaps it refreshed the dongle?

Comment

After making and saving changes in setting, you restarted the fr24feeder by clicking Restart button. Seems restart solved your problem

Comment

If you add your latitude and longitude to Process arguments, making it like this:
            (Replace xx.xxxx and yy.yyyy by your actual latitude and longitude in decimal)

Process arguments: --net --lat xx.xxxx --lon yy.yyyy

Clear browser cache and reload map.

Your map will start showing a marker at your location, with 3 corcles at 100 nm, 160 nm, and 200 nm from receiver location

Comment

Thanks for that. Will do.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                If you add your latitude and longitude to Process arguments, making it like this:
                (Replace xx.xxxx and yy.yyyy by your actual latitude and longitude in decimal)

Process arguments: --net --lat xx.xxxx --lon yy.yyyy

Clear browser cache and reload map.

Your map will start showing a marker at your location, with 3 corcles at 100 nm, 160 nm, and 200 nm from receiver location
                Sorry, I know I'm refloating this very old thread, but I had to decide wether to open a new thread speaking of the very same issue or to refloat this one.

And refloating is much better because there was already a base on the problem I am facing now.

I discovered that, if you set --lat xx.xxxx --lon yyy.yyyyy the MLAT feature stops working.

I presume it has to do with precedence on the position we set in the FR24 config (which is saved at FR24 servers) and the one we set into Dump1090 that might be slightly (or not) different.

I was trying to get my station location showed in the Dump 1090 map, but whenever I set my geocoordinates into Dump1090, MLAT stops working.

It's quite frustrating.

Anyone was able to manage having --lat & --lon parameters and at the same time MLAT working?

If so... how did you do that?!

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by FenixDigital View Post

Sorry, I know I'm refloating this very old thread, but I had to decide wether to open a new thread speaking of the very same issue or to refloat this one.

And refloating is much better because there was already a base on the problem I am facing now.

I discovered that, if you set --lat xx.xxxx --lon yyy.yyyyy the MLAT feature stops working.

I presume it has to do with precedence on the position we set in the FR24 config (which is saved at FR24 servers) and the one we set into Dump1090 that might be slightly (or not) different.

I was trying to get my station location showed in the Dump 1090 map, but whenever I set my geocoordinates into Dump1090, MLAT stops working.

It's quite frustrating.

Anyone was able to manage having --lat & --lon parameters and at the same time MLAT working?

If so... how did you do that?!

Thanks!
                  Hi there,

I have the same issue - I have also change my map to the FLight Aware (SkyAware) version and still have the same issue. How are you removing the -lat and -lon to get MLAT back? My MLAT has not worked for a while and I cannot for the life of me work out why.

Thanks,

R

Comment

***ABOVE IS FIXED***

--My Solution--

I have now fixed it...I "played" with some settings and read opther pages/forums reporting issues. My fix was to select ModeS Beast (TCP) and the IP/Host as 127.0.0.1:30005 (not ending 0002). MLAT then ran after a restart. Note I have the DVBT-Stick...but that doesn't work as an option.

Hope it helps others.

Comment

Yeah it shows running but supposedly (comments from FR24 people) MLAT will only be used if you use the dvb-t option and don't run an external decoder.
                      Yes you heard correctly it shows running but it's all for naught. (one might think it should just show disabled in that case but ... that seems to be too much to ask)

I find for that reason getting MLAT to run for FR24 is a useless endeavor, there are other MLAT networks that contrary to FR24 also give you the results back for local display.
                      I'd like to not depend on the fr24feed internal decoder .....
                      Solutions to common problems using dump1090 variants and ADS-B feeders - wiedehopf/adsb-wiki

Comment

This worked for me. thank you

Originally posted by Richard-Aus View Post
                        ***ABOVE IS FIXED***

--My Solution--

I have now fixed it...I "played" with some settings and read opther pages/forums reporting issues. My fix was to select ModeS Beast (TCP) and the IP/Host as 127.0.0.1:30005 (not ending 0002). MLAT then ran after a restart. Note I have the DVBT-Stick...but that doesn't work as an option.

Hope it helps others.

Comment

Working...
                        X