Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pi24 Fails on startup.

Fix #1
    As a temporary measure, FR24 admin suggested to block IPv6 by giving this command

Code:
    sudo sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1
    However this command is to be re-issued at every reboot of Pi.

Fix #2
    A FR24 forum member JohnnyBravo gave a better solution. Instead of totally blocking IPv6, he suggested following method to change preference to IPv4.

It has advantage that it is not lost on reboot. I have tested it, and it works fine. Here is this method:

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/gai.conf
    In this file scroll down to find following line:

#precedence ::ffff:0:0/96 100

Uncomment this line so it looks like:

precedence ::ffff:0:0/96 100

Save file. Now Pi will prefer IPv4

Reboot Pi

Code:
    sudo reboot
    Last edited by abcd567; 2018-09-03 at 01:24.

Passenger
    That worked, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wx4tcc View Post
    That worked, thanks!
    Glad to know it works now.

As regards to your permissions problem, did it get resolved by rebooting the Pi?

If not, then run following command to see if you have any issues related to the filesystem / journaling system itself.
    Code:
    dmesg | grep "EXT4-fs error"
    To see what is status
    Code:
    dmesg | grep "EXT4-fs"

#Above command gave following output on my Raspbian Stretch

[    2.353718] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
    [    5.726176] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): re-mounted. Opts: (null)
    To list your drives/partitions
    Code:
    lsblk

#Above command gave following output on my Raspbian Stretch

NAME      MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    mmcblk0   179:0    0  7.4G  0 disk
    ├─mmcblk0p1
    │         179:1    0 43.2M  0 part /boot└─mmcblk0p2
              179:2    0  7.4G  0 part /
    Last edited by abcd567; 2018-09-03 at 04:15.

Passenger
    I discovered I never logged in as the root user so I logged out and logged in with the default username and password tho I currently dont have anything I need to fix or add to see if I have root access.

Does dump1090 happen to also decode data from 978mhz? Of course after I bought my parts I see there is a Stratux dual band receiver and wonder if I should swap. Thankfully these arent expensive.

I purchases the NooElec NESDR Mini 2+ 0.5PPM TCXO RTL-SDR & ADS-B USB Receiver but I cant tell if it picks up 978mhz transmissions.

I discovered I never logged in as the root user so I logged out and logged in with the default username and password tho I currently dont have anything I need to fix or add to see if I have root access.
    If you login as default user pi, then this user already has sudo powers, and will do most of the jobs needed like editing, deleting, creating, copying and moving files and folders, as well as changing file and folder permissions. The only thing you have to do is to start commands with word sudo.

Does dump1090 happen to also decode data from 978mhz? Of course after I bought my parts I see there is a Stratux dual band receiver and wonder if I should swap. Thankfully these arent expensive.

I purchases the NooElec NESDR Mini 2+ 0.5PPM TCXO RTL-SDR & ADS-B USB Receiver but I cant tell if it picks up 978mhz transmissions.
    The dump1090 picks and decodes only 1090 mhz signals. To pick and decode 978 mhz signals, you need dump978.

Please see this thread for installing dump978. This method can install dump1090, dump978, FR24 feeder, Flightsware feeder, Planefinder feeder and Web Portal/Performance Graphs. As you already have everything you need, say NO to all options, and say OK to dump978 only.

Automated Installation of Dump1090-Mutability, Data Feeders, and Performance Graphs

NOTE:
    (1) To run dump1090+dump978 on same Pi, you will need two dongles, one for dump1090 other for dump978.

(2) The Nooelec bundle for Stratux has 2 dongles, one serialized and marked for 1090 and other serialized and marked for 978.

(3) If you use any other dongle, these have all same serial number by default. In this case you will need to serialize the two dongles yourself, so that ech dump uses only the dongle+antenna assigned to it. Please see following post for how to serialize:

Is My DVB-T RTL SDR Dongle Healthy? >> Post #3: How to Change Serial Number of Dongle
    Last edited by abcd567; 2018-09-03 at 17:17.

Passenger
    Perfect! I have a dedicated statux 978 dongle on the way. I have the next three days off so hopefully I can get dump978 up and running.

EDIT: After looking at that page it seems the script will shutdown if I say no to dump1090 and im hoping that auto install will work on my 3 B+.
    Is there a manual way of installing dump978?
    Last edited by wx4tcc; 2018-09-03 at 17:40.

wx4tcc

Where are you located? The 978UAT transponder is fitted in aeroplanes in USA only. If you are in any other country, there will be no planes with UAT 978, and you wont receive any 978 signal.

Passenger
    Oklahoma. US - guess i should update my profile and add that .

EDIT: After looking at that page it seems the script will shutdown if I say no to dump1090
    The script will shutdown ONLY if it does not detect any dump1090 already installed, and then you say NO.

If the script detects a version is existing, it will offer to upgrade it like this:

"dump1090-mutability (upgrade)"

In this case if you dont say OK, script will not stop. It will move to feeder options.

and im hoping that auto install will work on my 3 B+.
    Yes, sure.

Is there a manual way of installing dump978?
    If script can install it, then it can also be manually installed.
    Unfortunately I dont know it.

Why not you try the script, and if it fails then think of manual method.

NOTE
    Do OT select any option except dump978, otherwise the script will install unnecessary apps.
    Last edited by abcd567; 2018-09-03 at 21:42.

Passenger
    I had to install 1090 manually and actually enjoyed doing it but of course I will try the installer first.