No announcement yet.

Run dump1090-mutability interactive mode without stopping Flightradar24 feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run dump1090-mutability interactive mode without stopping Flightradar24 feed

Hi all,

I run a FR24 feeder for some time now on a raspberry pi, I just set it up following FR24 instructions in the beginning and it has been running ok without any issues.

I'm not a pro on these things so I come here looking for some expert support

When I try to see the dump1090-mutability interactive mode (dump1090-mutability --interactive) I receive this message:

pi@rpi2:~ $ dump1090-mutability --interactive
    Wed Aug 8 06:21:20 2018 UTC dump1090-mutability v1.14 starting up.
    Found 1 device(s):
    0: Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001 (currently selected)
    usb_claim_interface error -6
    Error opening the RTLSDR device: Device or resource busy

I believe this is because I have FR24 feed running. If I stop the process (sudo /etc/init.d/dump1090-mutability stop) and try again the interactive mode works fine but the FR24 feed stops (because the receiver is off it seems).

My question is: is it possible to get this dump1090-mutability interactive mode running whithou interrupting the FR24 feed?

Many thanks in advance!

Nope.

Interactive changes the output format to 'screen format' from standard data format

You have one. Or the other.

But then that is why they all come with their own web display of contacts.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Many thanks for your reply!

I see, I will get a second receiver then to have both working at the same time.

Comment

What is the advantage you see in interactive, over the supplied web map that can look up more details and show graphical plotting?
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Sometimes I just want to display the list of aircraft in range and it’s faster doing that on terminal window (for me at least). I know about the interactive web mode, it’s just a personal thing, as you say no big advantage by using the terminal.

But by the way, if the issue comes from changing the output format from standard to screen, running the command with no options at all, dump1090-mutability should provide the table with instantaneous (no updates) captured traffic, right? I get the same error message if I try this command...

Comment

By default, FR24 installs Dump1090 in auto start

If you stop dump1090 but not fr24, it will likely restart. If you stop fr24feed, dump1090 may keep running.

So running it in another command won't help. usb_claim_interface error -6 Is 99.9999% gauranteed to be a copy of dump1090 running. Being started by something else.

The only way to run it in the start/stop method you want. Is remove it all. Install dump1090-mutability first (not run at startup). DONT install fr24feed with 'DVBT' (but AVRTCP mode) before anything else. And then you have more control over stopping/starting the services

Feel free to post/discuss suggestions here http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...4840#post74840 (http://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/9875-Info-Updates-Ammendments-Placeholder?p=74840#post74840) This guide is not to be taken as officially sourced support information. It is contributor-made Information has been repeated many

pgrep -l fr24feed - list running FR24 processes
            pgrep -l dump1090 - list dump1090 instances
            But if you only want a basic active list

http://<ip of pi>:8754/tracked.html is designed for just that.

Comment

And from the dump1090 manual

To run the program in interactive mode, with networking support, and connect with your browser to http://localhost:8080 to see live traffic:

./dump1090 --interactive --net
              However I think that still effects the way FR24feed captures data. But not tested if AVRTCP/BeastTCP still works

Comment

Working...
              X