Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPS Antenna - is it weatherproof and which way is up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Antenna - is it weatherproof and which way is up?

Got my receiver kit yesterday and was wondering if the GPS antenna that comes with it is weatherproof? I could put it on a windowsill but putting it outside would get a better view of the sky. The cable is long enough to allow this.

Also, I'm assuming the bottom of the antenna is where the word 'Glonass' is written. Hard to tell what side should be facing up.
    F-KEKO2 hosted in northern Nevada, US

Hi - I received a Trimble GPS with a magnetic base - not sure which model you were given. Most are designed to go outside - and as long as they get at least 50% coverage, it should work. I've even had a temporary installation work in the vertical position on one side of a metal shed. Enjoy !

ylis

Comment

I got a small square antenna with Glonass on one side and a magnet in the what I assume is the base. Sitting on the window sill now stuck to the metal frame. Antenna on the roof, receiver powered up and connected to router and running, though it appears I have a new version (v1.1) receiver. The lights are a different color to what the equipment instruction guide online says they should be. Power is steady red, GPS is steady flashing blue (1 sec on, 1 sec off) and Mode S is green flickering randomly. Hopefully these are what they are supposed to be.
      F-KEKO2 hosted in northern Nevada, US

Comment

Working...
      X