Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie needs help to increase range

Hello,

I've managed to successfully set up a receiver consisting in a raspberry pi 3 connected to an inexpensive DVB-T usb stick with the following specs: DVB-T+DAB+FM+RTL2832U R820T2 & SDR. Using the small antenna that came with the DVB-T I can detect about 800 aircraft per day within a maximun range of 45 nm. I live on a 5th floor in a densely populated city, with no access to the roof, just a small balcony. I know these are not ideal conditions, but I would like to increase the range of detection, if possible.

What would be the best shot?

1) Use the home TV/FM antenna outlet. The building contains a community antenna on the rooftop, and I've tried to plug the stick to the antenna outlet on the wall. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get any signal so far. Maybe the distance to the antenna on the rooftop is too long, maybe it has some sort of filter. Would a signal booster help in this case? Should I use the TV or FM connector on the outlet, if it matters? Is it worth at all pursuing this option?

2) Remain indoors, as placing the small antenna in the balcony vs indoors makes no difference as far as I can tell. In this case should I try to invest in a 26'' FlightAware 1090Mhz ADS-B antenna + blue SMA fiter + orange FlightAware stick? I live near a huge cell phone tower. But maybe I'm lucky and get a more decent range with this option, despite all the limitations?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by paume; 2018-07-10, 17:57.

Inside my apartment, near a large window

Last edited by abcd567; 2018-07-11, 01:46.

Comment

Run a scan to see how much noise you have in you area before you go and purchase any more equipment. If you have heaps of noise then you can decide if you need a filter, a dongle with lna etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Coxy View Post
        Run a scan to see how much noise you have in you area
        This is a good advise, but you forgot to tell him how to run a scan.
        Last edited by abcd567; 2018-07-11, 05:05.

Comment

Scan Cell and other RF signals in your area using method given in this thread. Based on scan results decide if you need a filter:

Do I need a Filter? - Find RF Signals In Area

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
            This is a good advise, but you forgot to tell him how to run a scan.
            Thanks abcd567 i was going to attached link later after i found it. I know where the link is on another site haha
            Last edited by Coxy; 2018-07-13, 07:15.

Comment

Thanks for the link, I'll defintely check the noise in the area before purchasing any filter. As for the type of antenna vs range, and assuming I place the equipment indoors, are there chances I get the same level using the cookie box setup, which is what I have now (minus the lid) and the one seen in the picture below, which seems rather more complex? Does it all depend on the location? Any word on attempting to use the standard rooftop TV antenna in combination with some booster because of the length of the cable, if that makes any sense? Thanks.

Comment

TBH the best Ant i have used so far is the Franklin spider EASY ANTENNA # 3 : QUICK SPIDER as detailed by abcd567 https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...light=franklin

it has a great gound plane and take no time to make. Currently beats my FA Ant hands down.
                Last edited by Coxy; 2018-07-13, 07:16.

Comment

Inside my apartment, near a large window
                  @abcd567 Hi, I have the DVB-T type antenna. I clipped it to it's propper lenght having a significant boost in performance. My doubt come from the can below. Does it affect the performance?

Would a home made spider antenna improve the performance? What do the spider "legs" actually do?

Comment

the one seen in the picture below, which seems rather more complex
                    Whilst some readers might be stunned by abcd567's complex/technical installation, I'm more concerned about his diet of cookies and coke ...........

ylis

Comment

I've had to manually take time to approve posts again due to use of @s

Vbulletin does NOT use @s to tag like Twitter and other software platforms.

New users using it are considered spamming an email. I again implore people to use quote function and not @.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
                      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by ylis View Post
                        Whilst some readers might be stunned by abcd567's complex/technical installation, I'm more concerned about his diet of cookies and coke ...........
                        Thanks for your concern... in spite of eating lot of cookies and drinking lot of coke, my weight, sugar, and chalestrol are normal..

Comment

After not much improvement after changing from the dvbt clipped antenna to a home made spider antenna, I found a massive improvement in performance (a 30% boost) after moving the spider antenna just half a meter higher (a couple of feet).

Comment

Originally posted by goku1976 View Post
                            After not much improvement after changing from the dvbt clipped antenna to a home made spider antenna, I found a massive improvement in performance (a 30% boost) after moving the spider antenna just half a meter higher (a couple of feet).
                            (1) For any antenna, increase in height makes a big difference if there are surrounding tall objects like buildings or trees.

(2) For DVB-T stock whip, the magnetic base provides a very small and insufficient ground plane. You have to place it over a metallic plate such as cookie can or a food can to provide it a good ground plane. You will notice substantial improvement when you add a ground plane. The downward radial wires of Spider provide a good ground plane, and it does not need a can or metallic plate.

Comment

(1) For any antenna, increase in height makes a big difference if there are surrounding tall objects like buildings or trees.

(2) For DVB-T stock whip, the magnetic base provides a very small and insufficient ground plane. You have to place it over a metallic plate such as cookie can or a food can to provide it a good ground plane. You will notice substantial improvement when you add a ground plane. The downward radial wires of Spider provide a good ground plane, and it does not need a can or metallic plate.
                              Thanks. I had always wandered what the downward radial wires where actually for.

Comment

Working...
                              X