Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any flights that fly east both from origin to destination and from destinat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any flights that fly east both from origin to destination and from destinat

Flying east is faster so I expect that if the destination are on opposite points or closer, that the flights between them always be to the east.

For Example Los Angeles to Delhi. I see the fly is over the north pole.

Wouldn't it be faster to always go east?

What are the reasons that flight paths (especially for long haul flights) are seen as curves rather than straight lines on a screen? Is map distortion the only reason? Or do flight paths consider the rotation of the Earth? - Quora http://bit.ly/Great_Circle_Routes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How does it answer the question?

Comment

Originally posted by ronenfe View Post
        How does it answer the question?
        It doesn't but it poses another related question. Firstly, travel towards the east in only faster because that is the direction of the prevailing wind (the jet stream) that circles the earth. Secondly, the shortest distance between any two points on Earth is a curve that closely follows the Earth's curvature. Known as great circles ,they are the reason why the shortest route between places in say, North America and Asia, is often over the polar regions. Great circle navigation is used by aircraft and ships but would be equally applicable if it were possible to build a railway or road to the same nearly perfect curve across, for instance, the Eurasian continent.

Comment

Working...
        X