No announcement yet.

Problems with feeder statistics and data sharing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you noticed the max range used to be rounded to the nearest 5 - now it seems it isn't rounding. It's also updating more regularly than the recent discussion about it being the max distance recorded in the last 30 days!

... and I wish I'd kept a screenshot of my rank increasing by 3322 in a single bound during the midst of the problem - not likely to ever see that again.

ylis

Comment

• Updated info from Mr Khan in 1st post of this thread

ylis

Comment

• The only not fixed still the IPV6. If the Raspberry Pi Raspbian is fresh installed, the IPV6 is enabled and during the setup of the FR24feed sign-up procedure, it will not let us to key in anything after the verification of of sharing key, then the setup ended. Have to disable the IPV6 then can proceed with the setup.

Comment

• Yep.

Keeping in mind we are only 20 or so users engaging the thought of a possible 5000? Feeders that may have fire and forget installs that have not uploaded for over a month and not yet realised, so coverage accuracy may be down with the stats

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• I rarely check my FR24 stats page. Last I checked was in the beginning of 2018. This saves me frustration.

Comment

• FR24 really takes time to fix and don't know when all these issues will be fixed? Pending all these and made me would like to quit from providing data to them. We did all this using our own devices, internet, electricity and so on and share data to them for free. And what we got from them only a BUSINESS account and most of the time those data they can provided to us not really useful, the only advantages are no ads and no timeout. FR24 really earned these profits from all over the world T-Stations. If all the T-Stations stop providing the data to FR24, who will be the losser? FR24 also very stingy to provide the feeders to most of the area as their reason is there already feeders (F-Station - 2 ONLY) in your area abut we will re-consider your application and keep in the list..... Is this a best way which compared to other ADSB company (as long as you can provide the data for free, and willing to run for 24/7/365, normally they will provide you the ADSB feeders for free...). Sometimes really up sad when deal with FR24...
              And the feeders you can register with the same email is 3 MAX, if more than that, have to email them and request ..... Such a stupid way of doing business...

Most important is IPV6 issue, for those users who wants to contribute to FR24, will have to disable the IPV6 before signup / fill in details during setup...
              Last edited by fungsaihou; 2018-07-17, 22:37.

Comment

• Originally posted by fungsaihou View Post
                FR24 really takes time to fix and don't know when all these issues will be fixed? Pending all these and made me would like to quit from providing data to them. We did all this using our own devices, internet, electricity and so on and share data to them for free. And what we got from them only a BUSINESS account and most of the time those data they can provided to us not really useful, the only advantages are no ads and no timeout. FR24 really earned these profits from all over the world T-Stations. If all the T-Stations stop providing the data to FR24, who will be the losser? FR24 also very stingy to provide the feeders to most of the area as their reason is there already feeders (F-Station - 2 ONLY) in your area abut we will re-consider your application and keep in the list..... Is this a best way which compared to other ADSB company (as long as you can provide the data for free, and willing to run for 24/7/365, normally they will provide you the ADSB feeders for free...). Sometimes really up sad when deal with FR24...
                And the feeders you can register with the same email is 3 MAX, if more than that, have to email them and request ..... Such a stupid way of doing business...

Most important is IPV6 issue, for those users who wants to contribute to FR24, will have to disable the IPV6 before signup / fill in details during setup...
                You are correct about the ipv6, i did a fresh install and made sure i didn't select DVBT ... (thanks ABCD....) but got stuck on the Feeder id. Took a fewattempts before the penny dropped.

You mention no time out, i am a Business user and i am still getting the 'I am not a robot' check every time i have re check the map in Firefox....

Comment

• Originally posted by Coxy View Post
                  ......but got stuck on the Feeder id...
                  If you already have a feeder id, follow these steps:
                  1. When you reach the stage where your email address is asked, press Ctrl+c. This will break signup process, and you will see a command prompt like below
                    Code:
                    pi@raspberrypi:~ $
                  2. Now give following command
                    Code:
                    sudo nano /etc/fr24feed.ini
                  3. The above command will open a file with 3 lines of text. Above those 3 lines of text Copy-Paste following 3 lines
                    Code:
                    receiver="beast-tcp"
                    host="127.0.0.1:30005"
                    fr24key="xxxxxxxxxxxx"

NOTE:Replace xxxxxxxxx by your actual key.

4. Save (Ctrl+o) and Close (Ctrl+x)

5. Now restart fr24feed
                    Code:
                    sudo systemctl restart fr24feed
                  6. Go to page ip-of-pi:8754
                  Last edited by abcd567; 2018-07-18, 05:11.

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                    If you already have a feeder id, follow these steps:
                    1. When you reach the stage where your email address is asked, press Ctrl+c. This will break signup process, and you will see a command prompt like below
                      Code:
                      pi@raspberrypi:~ $
                    2. Now give following command
                      Code:
                      sudo nano /etc/fr24feed.ini
                    3. The above command will open a file with 3 lines of text. Above those 3 lines of text Copy-Paste following 3 lines
                      Code:
                      receiver="beast-tcp"
                      host="127.0.0.1:30005"
                      fr24key="xxxxxxxxxxxx"

NOTE:Replace xxxxxxxxx by your actual key.

4. Save (Ctrl+o) and Close (Ctrl+x)

5. Now restart fr24feed
                      Code:
                      sudo systemctl restart fr24feed
                    6. Go to page ip-of-pi:8754
                    abcd567,

Thanks for the sharing info.

Regards.

Comment

• Another good workaround for IPv6 problems is to:

In the file /etc/gai.conf find the following line:

#precedence ::ffff:0:0/96 100

Uncomment this line so it looks like:

precedence ::ffff:0:0/96 100

Your Pi will now prefer IPv4 over IPv6 without disabling IPv6.
                      I've done this and the feeder now happily connects over IPv4, system updates run smoother as well, and I still have IPv6 available.

If you have previously disabled IPv6 then you need to re-enable it for this solution to work properly.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
                        Another good workaround for IPv6 problems is to:

I've done this and the feeder now happily connects over IPv4, system updates run smoother as well, and I still have IPv6 available.

If you have previously disabled IPv6 then you need to re-enable it for this solution to work properly.
                        Bravo! Your method is working. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
                          Another good workaround for IPv6 problems is to:

thumb-single.jpg thumb-single.jpg thumb-single.jpg

Originally posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
                          If you have disable IPv6 by following command, rebooting Pi will enable IPv6
                          sudo sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1

If you have disable IPv6 by editing some file, undo the edits, and reboot Pi.
                          Last edited by abcd567; 2018-07-20, 18:20.

Comment

• I wonder what happened here though and why FR24 can't just pull the AAAA records from DNS so feeders will stop trying to connect to what they don't yet support? Or is this entirely outside their control and only with CloudFlare? Surely you could ask CloudFlare to disable IPv6/AAAA records for your hostnames? :-/

Some stracing showed me that fr24feed does DNS in interesting ways:

Code:
                            2351  <... read resumed> "PING feed.flightradar24.com(2400:cb00:2048:1::6814:65 (2400:cb00:2048:1::6814:65)) 56 data bytes\n", 511) = 97'
                            2351  connect(9, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(80), sin_addr=inet_addr("255.255.255.255")}, 16) = -1 ENETUNREACH (Network is unreachable)
                            It runs ping $HOSTNAME, tries to find an IPv4 address in the output, which isn't there anymore and it fails? :-(

Nice workaround idea though: The ping command only recently started supporting IPv6, in the past you'd have to use ping6. You can get this old behaviour back though:

Code:
                            sudo apt-get install inetutils-ping
                            That'll get you an IPv4-only ping so stuff will work again, without disabling IPv6 for other things. Also, I strongly prefer this over adding entries to /etc/hosts that are bound to get stale at some point and cause different issues..

I also noticed a "DNS mode:" bit in my logs (and apparently a "dns-mode" fr24feed.ini directive) which could be used to switch to libc DNS mode, but I couldn't figure out how to actually enable that. Would've been helpful..

Comment

• I asked this a few weeks ago:

Any thoughts on what the average range is measuring?
                              FR24 Support advised me that Average range = max for each direction / 8, we have north, north west, west etc..(8 directions)

ylis

Comment

• Originally posted by ylis View Post
                                I asked this a few weeks ago:

FR24 Support advised me that Average range = max for each direction / 8, we have north, north west, west etc..(8 directions)
                                Spose that could work. Would give a circular range plot from your location somewhere in the middle of all if location was perfect and 360deg view. But may hurt a bit for those on the side of a thin island with single direction view like here?...
                                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Working...
                                X