Problems with feeder statistics and data sharing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by elljay View Post
    It's true, with respect, that the support isn't the greatest and the stats aren't fantastic either, but don't forget we get $499.99 a year worth of Business subscription for feeding data for free! That pretty much covers the cost of a Pi, our time and the electricity I think...
    thumb-single.jpg thumb-single.jpg thumb-single.jpg

Comment

but don't forget we get $499.99 a year worth of Business subscription for feeding data for free! That pretty much covers the cost of a Pi, our time and the electricity I think...
      True. But I have two takes on this:

1. It's not cash and doesn't cost FR24 very much to provide. And I suspect not too many individuals would subscribe if they were paying it themselves.

2. The FR24 volunteer feeds outnumber the free receivers more than 3:1. Letting us know when we're offline makes good business sense and will help maintain the feed.
      Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

• Totally agree. The cost to FR24 is only some server time and a bit of bandwidth. Beats me too why they don't invest a bit more effort into supporting 75% of their data feed. At least Khan posts every now and again and we did eventually get a banner on the stats page, which is better than it used to be but that the fact that the banner is now out of date; there's a mixture of Pis out there with hacked host files &/ IPv6 disabled looks like a problem waiting to happen...

Comment

• Hello abcd567,

the second link in your post (#106) isn't actually a link.

( http://how%20to%20get%20vrs-like%20c...ap%20on%20rpi/ )

Thanks for fixing it!

T-EDDV13

Comment

• Originally posted by neroon79 View Post
            the second link in your post (#106) isn't actually a link.
            Oops....
            Thanks for pointing out, fixed now.

Comment

• abcd567.... many of us don’t operate pi.......

And as we can only seem to accrue 14 days feed time in stats, perhaps all T-feeds should switch off for the rest of the month?

Reckon they would notice?
              Last edited by GraemeH; 2018-07-14, 14:24. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Correct - as they supply the F-feed boxes they monitor them closely, I think these are only a few percent of the total, and looking at stats most T-Feeds are not 24/7 so they'd be sending out 10,000+ emails daily! - I agree global stats should be removed till sorted, but as a programmer myself I know it's easier to fix if left online - Looks like the post I was answering has disappeared...
                Last edited by mem0tap; 2018-07-14, 17:08. Reason: Post being replied to seems to have disappeared?

Comment

It's true, with respect, that the support isn't the greatest and the stats aren't fantastic either, but don't forget we get $499.99 a year worth of Business subscription for feeding data for free! That pretty much covers the cost of a Pi, our time and the electricity I think...
                  Happy to do it to 'put something back' - and as a radio Ham it's a nice side project - at nearly 70 years old got to occupy my time with something!

Comment

• Originally posted by mem0tap View Post
                    Happy to do it to 'put something back' - and as a radio Ham it's a nice side project - at nearly 70 years old got to occupy my time with something!
                    One more thing to do: as you have vast ham experience, try to make different types of 1090Mhz DIY antennas. It is a good pass time and challenging job to make a high gain collinear antenna (wire collinear & coaxial collinear).

Comment

I think these are only a few percent of the total, and looking at stats most T-Feeds are not 24/7 so they'd be sending out 10,000+ emails daily!
                      Not necessarily. It depends on the the offline period set for an alert to be sent. A competitor allows one to set the period - 6, 12, 24 or 48 hours after the first outage.

Furthermore, most RPi feeds are 24x7.
                      Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

• Originally posted by Anmer View Post
                        Not necessarily. It depends on the the offline period set for an alert to be sent. A competitor allows one to set the period - 6, 12, 24 or 48 hours after the first outage.

Furthermore, most RPi feeds are 24x7.
                        I was told by an F-Feeder at Lands End, that he gets an email after two hours if his feed goes down, remember this is a supplied set up by FR24 - if T-Feeds can 'specify' that's news to me.

Comment

if T-Feeds can 'specify' that's news to me.
                          I didn't say T-Feeds can specify. That's the point, T-Feeds aren't advised if the feed is offline.

And I was responding to your assertion that alerting T-Feeds would generate 10,000 emails daily.
                          Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                            One more thing to do: as you have vast ham experience, try to make different types of 1090Mhz DIY antennas. It is a good pass time and challenging job to make a high gain collinear antenna (wire collinear & coaxial collinear).
                            I have one underway at the moment, using (don't laugh.. Water pipe, Bamboo and 18gauge plated copper wire. (Characteristic impedance approx 45.5 ohms so a 50ohm Feeder should be fine). CIMG3757.jpgCIMG3757.jpg

Comment

• I do not wish to add to the controversy about statistics, but I have also noted something strange. In the past when on the main Flightradar dsplay, dislpaying the map and aircraft, clicking on any aircraft would show (in my area at least) a fair mix of 'F-' and 'T-' radars, now they all seem to be mainly 'F-' radars and rarely a 'T-' radar. Is it just my obversation?

Comment

I have one underway at the moment, using (don't laugh.. Water pipe, Bamboo and 18gauge plated copper wire. (Characteristic impedance approx 45.5 ohms so a 50ohm Feeder should be fine).
                                (1) This looks great. What velocity factor you took for bamboo insulation you slipped over copper wires?
                                (2) Discussion about antennas is off-topic for this thread. Let us continue antenna discussion in relevant thread:

best antenna

The "best antenna" thread was started in November 2011, and due to very active discussions, has by now grown to 273 pages

Comment

Working...
                                X