Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Network Connection be made through Cell Towers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Network Connection be made through Cell Towers?

Was wondering if a Rasp Pi or laptop can be connected to the FR24 via the cellular phone towers. If so what wold need to be installed on an Android device.

I am feeding currently from down in a river valley but would like to drive up a mountain and test out my range.

PS: I have never subscribed to cell data so any method might be obvious to those who have experience.
    Last edited by Robbwell; 2018-06-08, 19:20.

Upload will be slower (unlikely to help if others in area have faster connection)

And usually CGNAT is used for IP allocation, which means remote access isn't possible. Only requests for data by device.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

You need to have one way to access the internet through mobile access, so you need to have a provider for that.
      If you have no mobile data I would say: no way.

Otherwise, for your mentioned test purposes:
      - activate a hotspot on your mobile phone with internet access
      - connect the RPi or laptop with an already running FR24 installation to the hotspot through WiFi
      - test at home
      - test remote (you might need to adjust the position data on your FR24 installation)

Be aware: for 24/7 access you may need a remote power source for RPi/laptop and cell phone hotspot and a lot of mobile data.
      JRF: T-EDNY19
      South Germany

Comment

Originally posted by jrf View Post
        You need to have one way to access the internet through mobile access, so you need to have a provider for that.
        If you have no mobile data I would say: no way.

Otherwise, for your mentioned test purposes:
        - activate a hotspot on your mobile phone with internet access
        - connect the RPi or laptop with an already running FR24 installation to the hotspot through WiFi
        - test at home
        - test remote (you might need to adjust the position data on your FR24 installation)

Be aware: for 24/7 access you may need a remote power source for RPi/laptop and cell phone hotspot and a lot of mobile data.
        I tested this out today and it worked ... but a few improvements and glitches remain.

I drove the laptop, antenna and Pi to some high ground and operated from the vehicle.

The first issue was the Pi was powering out from a cigarette lighter USB - just 1000 ma output. I then powered it from the laptop. Fine but the laptop battery died sooner.

To check success you need to see your planes on the Hotspot network. This took a bit of fiddling and needs more work.

Used about 50 MB of data over 3 hours. Next time I must take my mouse and mosquito dope.

Comment

You dont need a Pi, only a laptop and phone with data connection.

You can install Oracle VM box on laptop, then install Raspbian Jessie x86 in VM, Install dump1090-mutability and fr24feed on Jessie. Plug your DVB-T dongle into laptop (you may need to install on Windows, the dongle's windows driver Zadig from https://zadig.akeo.ie/ ) . Connect laptop charger from cigarett lighter of the car.

(1) Install Oracle VM Virtual Box on Laptop
          Download page: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

(2) Install in VM, Raspbian OS (.iso file): 2017-06-22-rpd-x86-jessie

Download Page: http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/rpd...86-2017-06-23/

Direct Download link: http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/rpd...x86-jessie.iso

(3) Install in VM/Raspbian, dump1090-mutability and FR24 data-feeder

Automated Installation of Dump1090-Mutability, Data Feeders, and Performance Graphs
          Last edited by abcd567; 2018-06-18, 05:40.

Comment

Working...
          X