Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHY ISN'T GOLD EDITION REPORTING OUTSIDE AIR TEMPERATURE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anmer View Post
    My guess is the ground stations in the US are not requesting the "missing" data.

Just a guess mind you.

FR24 could easily confirm this (or what is happening - shame these posts don't appear to be monotored by it).
    Indeed, I too come to the conclusion theres various reasons the DF20/21 data isn't included directly. But it also appears as long as some of the other data is not skewed, it can be manually calculated. And I do wonder if the table of pulled data isn't quick enough to do so in some cases before display

sesar.jpg

(you can't make it out but this shows that Bit register 44 in the extended can xmit it directly if requested as part of the packet)

DF20.jpg

Originally posted by Stealth View Post
    I wasn't interested in their conspiracy theories, just the absence of the data.
    Well, a big tip for the absense of data does appear to have been provided early on. Yet still trying here to find reasons. So already indirectly roped in

Flightradar24.com said, "Hi YVWJudson, we're able to see Outside Air Temperature at the Gold level. Please note that the information is sent directly from the aircraft and that not all aircraft broadcast extended Mode S data, of which air temp is a part. Thanks!"
    Last edited by Oblivian; 2018-06-09, 07:45.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post

Well, a big tip for the absense of data does appear to have been provided early on. Yet still trying here to find reasons. So already indirectly roped in
      Just had a look at the North Atlantic traffic over the US East Coast, most of which is Eastbound at this time of day. Inbound to US aircraft are showing the temp and wind (including European airlines and an AA flight) over Maine, but east bound none of those that I checked were showing the data, even when well into Moncton area. Maybe aircraft are designated to report weather?

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth View Post
        Inbound to US aircraft are showing the temp and wind (including European airlines and an AA flight) over Maine, but east bound none of those that I checked were showing the data, even when well into Moncton area.
        Maybe inbound were "interrogated over Canadian airspace and FR24 retains last known data. Eastbound traffic not interrogated over the US?
        Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Anmer View Post
          Maybe inbound were "interrogated over Canadian airspace and FR24 retains last known data. Eastbound traffic not interrogated over the US?
          I checked Flightaware to see if it was the same, but I can't see any option to select to display that sort of data.

Comment

As Oblivian wrote, the data need to be requested from a ground station. More information about Extended ModeS in this blog post
            With the release of the latest version of the Flightradar24 website we introduced new flight details called Extended Mode S data.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              As Oblivian wrote, the data need to be requested from a ground station. More information about Extended ModeS in this blog post
              https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/u...flightradar24/
              Yes it seems that an ATC ground station has to initiate the extended reporting, but from the mixed returns over the US seaboard, it also stays on unless told to stop. That would explain why aircraft into the US displayed it, but not outbound.

Reception of Extended Mode S data also requires that the air navigation service provider where the flight is operating is interrogating the aircraft’s transponder to request the data. While this is increasingly common, it is not yet universal.

Comment

Working...
              X