Thread: Broad spectrum interference - FR24 box

Passenger

Broad spectrum interference - FR24 box

Anyone else have interference problems with RF radiation from the FR24 ADS-B base unit?

It was the first time I had powered up my VHF systems since the unit was delivered and powered up and initially I had a lot of data carrying RF interference around the 70 and 145Mhz band. Pulling the power from the FR24 unit stopped all noise. As a quick 'fix' I have fitted about 20 turns of the PSU cable around a ferrite rod which has reduced the noise but it is still there so the unit/antenna must be radiating.

Paul
    Radar code - F-EGFH1 Locator square IO81BW GPS Position: 51.9459,-3.9112 70.0m

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin.45 View Post
    Anyone else have interference problems with RF radiation from the FR24 ADS-B base unit?

It was the first time I had powered up my VHF systems since the unit was delivered and powered up and initially I had a lot of data carrying RF interference around the 70 and 145Mhz band. Pulling the power from the FR24 unit stopped all noise. As a quick 'fix' I have fitted about 20 turns of the PSU cable around a ferrite rod which has reduced the noise but it is still there so the unit/antenna must be radiating.

Paul
    Has no one else never noticed this problem or is this only the unit I have, maybe?

Flight attendant
    Have you tried another PSU to confirm if its the switch mode PSU or the box itself?

Purser
    Had problems on one site, but it was the PSU that was causing interference when under load.

/M
    F-ESDF1, F-ESGG1, F-ESGP1, F-ESNK1, F-ESNV2, F-ESNV3 F-ESSL4, F-LFMN3
    P-ESGR, P-ESIA, P-ESIB, P-ESGF

Flight attendant
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMac View Post
    Had problems on one site, but it was the PSU that was causing interference when under load.

/M
    Yes, pretty much what I was alluding to. Many of these PSUs are built for not much more than a few cents.

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    Yes, pretty much what I was alluding to. Many of these PSUs are built for not much more than a few cents.
    Yep the problem is either when the PSU is under load or radiation from the FR ADS unit. I think the former as the ferrite choke has reduced the problem on the 144mhz band.

I will contact FR24 and see what they recommend. Invoice states the PSU value at 3 Euro so..... I will also look in my junk box and see whether I have a suitable replacement to try?

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin.45 View Post
    I will contact FR24 and see what they recommend.
    Is the FR24 receiver from Germany or Sweden?

The German device was using a BeagleBone board (round pin power connector) whereas the Swedish one looks to be using a Raspberry Pi (Micro USB B connector).

Is the power adapter the original supplied by FR24? If you try an alternative, check the rating is the same - volts and amps.
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Anmer View Post
    Is the FR24 receiver from Germany or Sweden?

The German device was using a BeagleBone board (round pin power connector) whereas the Swedish one looks to be using a Raspberry Pi (Micro USB B connector).

Is the power adapter the original supplied by FR24? If you try an alternative, check the rating is the same - volts and amps.
    Hi Anmer, The rx is from Sweden. I haven't had a chance to try an alternative PSU (I have been away for several weeks) yet.

First officer
    My cause on HF was the power supply, i simply replaced it:

FR24 receiver turned on:

FR24 receiver turned off:

Long story short, always check the power supply first.

To keep my bands clean, i had to:
    - Replace my modem PSU
    - Replace my loop antenna PSU
    - Replace my FR24 PSU
    - Get rid of a Mikrotik wifi device
    - Get better USB cables (not required for FR24)

And still not all QRM has gone. But my spectrum 10 kHz to 1800 MHz is free of big QRM sources.

Flight attendant
    It pays to look at any switch mode PSU. For example, Panasonic produced some awful ones in their TV sets that caused interference across a very wide band. I gave away one TV due to it.