Raspberry PI3 Reducing Network Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry PI3 Reducing Network Performance

For the last few days I've experienced a general network performance reduction. Pages take much longer to load, sometimes failing to load and requiring a refresh etc.

My desktop PC is Ethernet connected, and the issue occurs here and on Wi-Fi devices.

When I run Broadband diagnostics, Jitter, PING, and download/upload speeds are all as I'd expect. ( 30ms, 3ms and 200mb/13mb)

I've isolated the issue to only occurring when I have my Raspberry PI3 connected and acting as a feeder (That's all it's used for) which is Wi-Fi connected.

I've been running a Broadband Quality monitor since it started to happen. I have attached a link to the results here: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broad...e38-04-03-2018

660775e5dde13b4ffa3a35775ec3aaf95b0d6e38-04-03-2018.png

It's quite self explanatory, however one thing to note is that the area between 9pm - 10pm (where there is little to no red/packet loss) is when I had my PI switched off to testing. This was also the time when the network performed as it should have. The BQM runs to the Router, not my PI or Desktop PC etc. It requires the router to be configured to respond to ping requests on its WAN/Internet port, which it has.

The BQM seems to suggest that the PI is having a considerable packet loss if I've read it correctly.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the issue could be?

Only if you have added some incorrect port mappings in the router thinking it needs them (generally do not) and its causing the router CPU to overload?

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

How close to the router is your RPi and are you using on-board WiFi (if your RPi model has it) or a USB WiFi adapter?
      Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Many thanks for the quick replies.

RE the port mappings - Nothing has been monified and there are no port mappings set. I had also tried disabling the Router Firewall, all to no avail.

RE proximity to Router - maybe 5-8m, upstairs but no concrete walls to get though. Signal on Wi-Fi analyser is always strong with no channel congestion where the Pi was. The PI had on-board Wh-Fi built in.

Update:Related or not, I don't know...however I am now unable to SSH into my PI ("Access Denied") and this is both via Wi-Fi and Ethernet cable.

When inserting the MicroSD (SanDisk Ultra HC-I 8GB) into a computer it's only occasionally recognising it and kicking back errors. The card can't be formatted via Disk Management or SD Card Formatter either. Errors again/not recognised/connected/not connected.

If memory serves this MicroSD has been used as a PI feeder device quite regularly since around Aug 2016 so i suspect the MicroSD has finally died!
        Last edited by Graeme2812; 2018-03-04, 11:57. Reason: Missed a reply to thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Graeme2812 View Post
          Many thanks for the quick replies.

RE the port mappings - Nothing has been monified and there are no port mappings set. I had also tried disabling the Router Firewall, all to no avail.

RE proximity to Router - maybe 5-8m, upstairs but no concrete walls to get though. Signal on Wi-Fi analyser is always strong with no channel congestion where the Pi was. The PI had on-board Wh-Fi built in.

Update:Related or not, I don't know...however I am now unable to SSH into my PI ("Access Denied") and this is both via Wi-Fi and Ethernet cable.

When inserting the MicroSD (SanDisk Ultra HC-I 8GB) into a computer it's only occasionally recognising it and kicking back errors. The card can't be formatted via Disk Management or SD Card Formatter either. Errors again/not recognised/connected/not connected.

If memory serves this MicroSD has been used as a PI feeder device quite regularly since around Aug 2016 so i suspect the MicroSD has finally died!
          It may not be this case, but I had similar problems. I found out that there was two identical ip on the network

Comment

Just a quick update on this thread.

I have since re-installed everything and all appears to be working fine across the network again (see graph)

3bcf40fd9f66608e3060af349eb908e262bd6182-16-03-2018.png

I can't rule 100% that it was a hardware issue, but I did find it a bit of a coincidence than the SD card failed soon after the issues started!

Comment

Dragging an old thread up...apologises.

Having created a fresh install on a new SD card...I'm back to the same issue. Huge latency and packet loss and 'Access Denied' when trying to SSH into the PI. (Via PuTTY on W10)

I'm running the install as detailed here https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...-extra-feature

Incidentally, FR24 still reports my feed as being connected and "Online" and I can still see the aircraft I am receiving in RadarView. I can also still access my live map via http://192.168.*.**/dump1090/gmap.html

Other devices on my network (wired and wireless) are laggy, and sometimes require a little more persuasion to load (reload...reload), or more patience than usual.

What i've tried so far;

- Tried connecting the Pi via different IP addresses
              - Tried removing all other devices (phones/laptops etc) from the network to reduce the risk of conflicting IP's
              - Tried different distances from Router. From a few inches to the other side of house.
              - Tried booting with only the PI (i.e no ADS-B / FlightAware connected)
              - Tried blocking the Pi from the wireless list on the router, connecting only via LAN (Same issues - I can't disable the on-board Wi-Fi as i can't SSH or gain access)

The challenge is not being able to SSH into the device to problem solve.

The fact it seems to still be feeding data successfully but won't allow me to SSH in is whats confusing me! I'll try and plug in an HDMI and see if i can get some screenshots.

Comment

Try telnet option, not SSH. Access denied is quite likely the secure console SSH server option not being enabled if you used a precompiled image.

They do differ (encrypted port 23) vs unencrypted Port 22

Or at the least install telnet and test for flashing cursor (port open) - bottom of this page https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...ll=1#post74834

If one device is on LAN, and the other wifi, and your router does not NAT correctly, or is misconfigured in an attempt to fix something else or allow monitoring, it could also do similar as it doesn't know where to send the destination traffic to that range/device once it gets to the router and will loop or drop it.
                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                  Try telnet option, not SSH. Access denied is quite likely the secure console SSH server option not being enabled if you used a precompiled image.

They do differ (encrypted port 23) vs unencrypted Port 22

Or at the least install telnet and test for flashing cursor (port open) - bottom of this page https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...ll=1#post74834
                  I was able to SSH into the device before this issue so i think SSH is (was?) enabled on the build. I tried the Telnet option and was given the connection error/no flashing cursor.

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                  If one device is on LAN, and the other wifi, and your router does not NAT correctly, or is misconfigured in an attempt to fix something else or allow monitoring, it could also do similar as it doesn't know where to send the destination traffic to that range/device once it gets to the router and will loop or drop it.
                  I've tried running the device exclusively on the network, with nothing else connected (LAN or Wi-Fi) and the same issues persist.

I've managed to hook the PI up to a HDMI output and the attached image is what it is displaying after it boots. Sorry that the image is of poor quality. A picture taken of the output was the only think i could think of trying!

20180421_105514.jpg

This output is what continues to cycle for a short while until the screen goes blank.

Comment

Not much of a surprise now we see that

SSH: No Process Found.. Answers there.

And unless you are with Solarus internet in Wisconson USA.. your Pi is doing something or being probed by something dodgy

It appears to be doing non stop polling (traffic being killed in the logs right there) to a CSV file using Zmap...
                    https://github.com/zmap/zmap which is by its own admission

"ZMap is a fast single packet network scanner designed for Internet-wide network surveys. "

So no wonder your traffic dies?

Someone whos familiar might have a better idea, but looks like its doing some heavy port scans
                    Last edited by Oblivian; 2018-04-21, 10:26.

Comment

It's beginning to sound to me like it's been hacked then? I don't use the reviever for anything else other than FR24 and observing locally received ADS-B traffic. It's connected via Wi-Fi via a secure / PSK network.

The package install I used was from this site and from this thread -> https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...-extra-feature

I'm going to try a fresh install again from the above thread and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                      X