Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scripts from google-analytics really required to make web page menues work normally ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scripts from google-analytics really required to make web page menues work normally ?

Hello!

Since a few days I am encountering problems with the FR24 web frontend, especially with the menu bar: Clicking on an item (e.g. "Data / History") opens the corresponding submenu, but when thereafter clicking on a specific menu item (e.g. "Airports") nothing happens! Right click and chosing "open in a new tab" will do it as a workaround, but that is very inconvenient. Also clicking on the FR24 logo in the upper left corner does not reload the page as normally.

I am using Firefox with latest updates and the ingenious NoScript-AddOn which limits the execution of JavaScipt only to those from whitelisted origins. Since many years I have blacklisted scripts from google-analytics.com. All other JavaScript sources required by FR24 are manually whitelisted. Today I found out that the only way to make the FR24 menues work normally is to whitelist google analytics too.

Why??? I do not want to start a discussion why I want to blacklist google analytics, that is not the topic. But in all the years of using NoScript I never detected a webpage with a deficiency of basic functionality caused by blocking JavaScripts from google analytics!!! That includes also FR24 until a few days ago …

Why are the Java scripts from google analytics now required for the functionality of the FR24 web menues??? Do you want to analyze every menu click we make?!?!?

I am a paying user with a Gold subscription plan. And I am not willing to whitelist google-analytics.com permanently only for making the FR24 web frontend work normally! So please return to normal web frontend functionality without depending on the google analytics scripts, as it was before.

Regards,
    Jörg
    Last edited by MQT66J; 2018-02-21, 21:24.

Sorry for the inconvenience!!

Please be aware that we have indeed added a few tracking options to our main site, temporarily, in order to collect some data to help us improve our site and design. Collecting data through analytics is common practice by companies to collect sample information and understand the behaviour of users, fix problems and correct things that don't work so well, while focusing on the ones that work!

Rest assured, this is only temporary in order to collect some data, and it will be disabled shortly so you can continue using our site, without making any changes from your side.

Should you have any questions at all, please feel free to email support@fr24.com

Comment

Thank you Juan for your immediate answer!

So, if it is only for a few days, I have no problems using the workaround with the right click and open in a new tab!

And just to clarify - I forgot this in my initial post: I agree in the requirement of analytics in and of itself. As you pointed out, this is very useful for content providers of any kind to improve their service, and in best case it has a benefit for all, including the users, to whom a more suitable offer can be made.

But my concerns are about transfering this task to a third party company, which at least is suspected to use the collected data for its own purposes.

Again thank you,
      Jörg

Comment

Thanks for the understanding Jörg, it will indeed be just a matter of days or less until this is removed. It's understandable to be concerned when it comes down to data being collected over the internet, and to wonder why this happens or what happens with the data! Like you mention in your response, analytics are common and used to understand behaviours (let's say, it's like asking users what they like and what they don't, without having to ask). Rest assured the data we are collecting is minimal and regards simply to our website design, so we can understand what areas work in our website and which ones need to be moved or redone completely (if a specific icon is never clicked on, it's likely a sign it's not that useful or it's simply misplaced!).

If you have any concerns about this at all, please contact us in support@fr24.com and we'll be glad to talk discuss this further
        Last edited by Guest; 2018-02-22, 15:21.

Comment

Working...
        X