Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FR Receive Antenna + DVB-T Dongle

Hi all,

I used to host a FR Feed box but due a power outage the unit burnt and was returned to FR24. However they didn't ask me to ship back the antenna and cables.

So, to keep contributing with this community, I've bought again a DVB-T Receiver to use. My idea was to connect the antenna that is already mounted to this new receiver but it didn't work!

Do you have any idea of what may be happening? Any suggestions of tests that I shall perform?

Does the DVB-T Stick have enough power to get the antenna signal or an amplifier is recommended?

My best regards,

What are you using to decode the DVB-T data and share it with FR24? Are you using an RPi with the DVB-T?
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Anmer View Post
      What are you using to decode the DVB-T data and share it with FR24? Are you using an RPi with the DVB-T?
      I'm using a computer running Ubuntu. That's not the problem because using the dvbt antenna it works (with a bad range).

I've even tried to use a SDR application to see the spectrum. When I connect the external antenna it gives me the same spectrum as with no antenna... That's what.is strange for me.

Thanks for helping!

Comment

To what are you connecting the FR24 antenna?
        Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

So, this is what I have running now (a DVB-T receiver to its original antenna):
          2018-02-21-193054_1680x1050_scrot.png

And I just removed the whole antenna+cable installation to verify if all is right:
          2018-02-21-193052_1680x1050_scrot.jpg

Problem is, when I connect the receiver to the big antenna, I get no signal.
          I'll run GQRX again and send some screenshots!
          Last edited by lucianosr; 2018-02-21, 22:33.

Comment

With the small antenna:
            2018-02-21-171022_1680x1050_scrot.jpg

With the big one:
            2018-02-21-171122_1680x1050_scrot.jpg
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks.

Check that the DVB-T antenna connection is the same as the one on the FR24 receiver. Are both SMA?
              Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Thanks.

Check that the DVB-T antenna connection is the same as the one on the FR24 receiver. Are both SMA?
                Yes, I got an adapter on Amazon, check the second picture.

Also, I already tested for conductivity between the adapter end (the one that goes on the Rx) and the antenna end with a multitester, and there is connection between everything.

Last edited by lucianosr; 2018-02-21, 22:34.

Comment

Have you also checked for continuity/short circuit in the Flightaware coax cable?

Comment

Originally posted by lucianosr View Post
                    Yes, I got an adapter on Amazon, check the second picture.

Also, I already tested for conductivity between the adapter end (the one that goes on the Rx) and the antenna end with a multitester, and there is connection between everything.

I think Stealth might be onto something here as regards a short circuit. I worry when you say you have a connection between 'everything' when testing with a multimeter. I'm not familiar with the FR24 antenna but some antennas have a DC short and some don't. (My SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 does have a DC bridge). The fact that you are getting no signal (aircraft) after a power surge which destroyed the FR24 box but have a connection between the conductor and sheath??? may be problematic. Perhaps some one with knowledge of the FR24 antenna might clear this up for you.

My feeling is that if you're picking up aircraft with the dvb-t antenna inside, you should get at the least something similar with the FR24. Whether it requires an amp for better performance is another question altogether.

Just had another look at your pics of the FR24 antenna and you have a lot of cable and connections that could conceivably have a short circuit anywhere in there. I'd start by getting rid of all that and try testing the antenna itself with known good cable/connectors.

Regards, and good luck
                    Gregg
                    Last edited by fungus; 2018-02-22, 04:40.
                    YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Originally posted by lucianosr View Post
                      Yes, I got an adapter on Amazon
                      Since my post others have made useful suggestions.

But also check that the "adapter" is SMA and not RP-SMA.

RP-SMA Connector.jpg
                      Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Originally posted by fungus View Post
                        I think Stealth might be onto something here as regards a short circuit. I worry when you say you have a connection between 'everything' when testing with a multimeter. I'm not familiar with the FR24 antenna but some antennas have a DC short and some don't. (My SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 does have a DC bridge). The fact that you are getting no signal (aircraft) after a power surge which destroyed the FR24 box but have a connection between the conductor and sheath??? may be problematic. Perhaps some one with knowledge of the FR24 antenna might clear this up for you.

My feeling is that if you're picking up aircraft with the dvb-t antenna inside, you should get at the least something similar with the FR24. Whether it requires an amp for better performance is another question altogether.

Just had another look at your pics of the FR24 antenna and you have a lot of cable and connections that could conceivably have a short circuit anywhere in there. I'd start by getting rid of all that and try testing the antenna itself with known good cable/connectors.

Regards, and good luck
                        Gregg
                        Thanks for the ideas, I'll test the conductivity and see if I find any short on the cables. Making a new cable will be harder as I don't have the hardware (connectors, new cable) readily available.

The antenna has some type of short in it. I openned but found nothing burnt, so looks like there is also a "DC bridge" there.

After testing the cabling, I'll update you guys! Thanks!

Comment

Since my post others have made useful suggestions.

But also check that the "adapter" is SMA and not RP-SMA.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9267[/ATTACH]
                          Wow, didn't know that there was this "RP-SMA" connector, I'll check.

Comment

Normally FR24 will ship you a replacement box, did you not get any message about a replacement?

1. You don't have any waterproofing on the outdoor connector. It will get water ingress and corrode. The N connector must be sealed, one layer of self-fusing tape and one layer of electrical tape.

2. If the FR24 box died from a lightning strike, the antenna could be broken, there are only thin PCB strips inside. I have seen an antenna that was completely burnt up inside but nothing showing outside.

3. Like others have said check the RP-SMA possibility.

/M
                            F-ESDF1, F-ESGG1, F-ESGP1, F-ESNK1, F-ESNV2, F-ESNV3 F-ESSL4, F-ESNZ7, F-LFMN3
                            T-ESNL1, T-ESNL2, T-ESGR15
                            P-ESIA, P-ESIB, P-ESGF, P-ESSN, P-EFMA
                            mrmac (a) fastest.cc

Comment

Ok guys, got a little bit of courage, two beers and opened the antenna!

Here are the pictures. Looks like no damage on the PCB nor the connector.

20180226_111149.jpg

Next step is to test the cabling for shorts.

Comment

Working...
                              X