Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic RaspberryPi with FR24 - halted as so many others - got it running again

There are numerous threads here about all sorts of configs, it is very confusing to read as a non-regular user of FR24.
    Last year I just had a raspberry pi lying arond doing nothing, and so I bought the usb dongle, and set it up, it has worked nicely for quite a while.
    Or, at least I thought so, because some ninkapoo 'upgraded' the software, and everything went dark.

The least you can expect is that the software works in the most basic setup, no extra frills, features or anything, and almost no direct access to it, it just feeds the FR24 site.
    I got it quick fixed yesterday, the faulty software was at 1.0.19-2, by reimaging it to 1.0.18... and I was happy.
    This morning I oddly went it to look at it again (I never do that), and it was now upgraded to 1.0.19-5, and AGAIN it didn't work.
    Come on, how can you build an update package that doesn't work in the most basic form, on a clean install???

So digging in to it, it seems that the problem is the dump1090 package, I read through most of the posts, and read a lot of 'definite solutions', that seemed to be a lot of work, and with a lot of extra's in it, I don't need that.

So now I've followed the advice in dump1090-issues-in-latest-feeder-package
    It got it updated to 1.0.19-5, but still didn't work after that.
    The dump1090 wasn't installed.

So I executed the lines from a bit further up in the thread that was highlighted in red.
    That got it installed, and it started working immediately.
    Now I have to spend my time observing that it works, sigh, why?

One good thing came of all this, I found the /dump1090 page, never knew that was there. Pretty fancy watching the neighboorhood airplanes as seen by you own receiver (though i haven't gotten it to know where I am, as of yet ).

P.S. Sorry about no links to the articles, I've been on a lot of forums, but never experienced one that was this restricted, stupid.

Originally posted by ylis
    Please clarify which steps in red you are referring to in which earlier post. I think I need a neck-brace for the whip-lash injury I have from flipping around the various posts ....

Thank you
    1. These "red lines" of code are for installing dump1090-mutability ver 1.14.
      I can tell you where are these "red lines of code", but since the time I posted these lines, so many changes were made in fr24feed, and users have made so many attempts to fix, I feel the best (cleanest and easiest) fix for those using Pi24 is to re-image (i.e. format microSD card, download latest Pi24 image, and write the latest image to microSD card), then run update script as follows:

Code:
      cd /usr/lib/fr24
      sudo ./fr24feed_updater.sh
    2. First give us more information about your existing install. Which one of following you have?
      1. Pi24 image
      2. Raspbian image + fr24feed
      3. Raspbian image + dump1090-mutability + fr24feed
      4. Raspbian image + dump1090-fa + fr24feed
      5. Piaware SD card image + fr24feed
      6. Other (Please give details)

3. Run following command and post output
      Code:
      apt-cache policy fr24feed
      apt-cache policy dump1090
      apt-cache policy dump1090-mutability
      apt-cache policy dump1090-fa
    Last edited by abcd567; 2018-01-22, 06:49.

Comment

Originally posted by fribse View Post
      One good thing came of all this, I found the /dump1090 page, never knew that was there. Pretty fancy watching the neighboorhood airplanes as seen by you own receiver (though i haven't gotten it to know where I am, as of yet ).
      Dump1090 plots the plane position on map using the airplanes's latitude and longitude, and dont need to know where you are (i.e. where is your receiver).

The aeroplanes get their position by their GPS and transmit it alongwith other info. Your receiver (Antenna+DVB-T) picks these signals, dump1090 decodes these and gets the airplane's current latitude and longitude.

If you let dump1090 know your receiver's latitude and longitude, it uses it to:
      • Calculate distance of an aeroplane from the receiver, and displays this info for the plane clicked and highlighted.
      • Optionally can place a marker on map showing your receiver's location, and range circles at 100, 150, and 200 nm from your receiver. This is optional, and you can enable it by steps described in this thread:

Tweak - Add Site Circles to Map

Comment

Working...
      X