"Talking" to the raspberry pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Talking" to the raspberry pi

I'm trying to set up a Raspberry with WiFi.
    I'm an absolute noon on this.

Will I be able to hook the pi up to a TV with HDMI and configure the password etc from there, or is there no OS on a raspberry or was it an OS that I installed on it when I downloaded that file from flightradar24?

If there is no graphics, I read the alternative was to type in a bunch of commands in to the pi.

Sounds easy enough, IF YOU KNOW WHERE TO TYPE THEM!

Any help guys?

This is in a vacation house so I have to be prepared when I go there.

Best regards

With a headless Pi, you communicate by SSH:ing to it.

On any decent operating system, you just do

ssh <ip-of-Rpi> -l root

(or "pi" or whetever the root user is called in your image.)

If you are not on a decent operating system, like Windows, you need to download an ssh client first, like PuTTY, and go from there.

/M
    F-ESDF1, F-ESGG1, F-ESGP1, F-ESNK1, F-ESNV2, F-ESNV3 F-ESSL4, F-ESNZ7, F-LFMN3
    T-ESNL1, T-ESNL2, T-ESGR15
    P-ESIA, P-ESIB, P-ESGF, P-ESSN, P-EFMA
    mrmac (a) fastest.cc

Comment

^^

Remember these are development/enthusiast devices. Your audience of users is a lot better in the real-world than a bunch of people mainly interested on simple ADSB reception side of their capabilities

Ala generic pi questions are a lot more explanatory on Google

In this tutorial we will go over how to connect to your Raspberry Pi in headless mode, without a monitor and with a keyboard and without a mouse.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by MrMac View Post
        With a headless Pi, you communicate by SSH:ing to it.

On any decent operating system, you just do

ssh <ip-of-Rpi> -l root

(or "pi" or whetever the root user is called in your image.)

If you are not on a decent operating system, like Windows, you need to download an ssh client first, like PuTTY, and go from there.

/M
        I downloaded putty when I tried to find out the ip# of the pi. Also, I'm using windows.
        One thing is still unclear, the main question: where to type this epic line?
        In notepad, in the calculator or other?

Comment

First plug in to wired ETH. The IP you need to find with an IP scanner in your phone if you have Wifi, or by logging into your router and check the DHCP table.

With PuTTY, the ssh setup is different, use google.

/M
          F-ESDF1, F-ESGG1, F-ESGP1, F-ESNK1, F-ESNV2, F-ESNV3 F-ESSL4, F-ESNZ7, F-LFMN3
          T-ESNL1, T-ESNL2, T-ESGR15
          P-ESIA, P-ESIB, P-ESGF, P-ESSN, P-EFMA
          mrmac (a) fastest.cc

Comment

Originally posted by MrMac View Post
            First plug in to wired ETH. The IP you need to find with an IP scanner in your phone if you have Wifi, or by logging into your router and check the DHCP table.

With PuTTY, the ssh setup is different, use google.

/M
            I found the IP when I plugged the pi directly to the router instead of the computer.
            I could very well see myself using putty with some research but out of curiosity I still must ask, where are all those lines going in? Is it always putty when people are talking about communication with the pi. Did you mean putty when you suggested to type ssh <ip-of-Rpi> -l root?

Comment

CLick the link I posted...

Putty is a CONNECTION app. The same as the browser you are typing these messages on.

Once CONNECTED, It opens a command interface to allow you to type commands.

The SSH command he mentions, is what someone already running linux or MAC would do. Putty is the graphical version on windows.
              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by AMdinSTratus View Post
                I found the IP when I plugged the pi directly to the router instead of the computer.
                I could very well see myself using putty with some research but out of curiosity I still must ask, where are all those lines going in? Is it always putty when people are talking about communication with the pi. Did you mean putty when you suggested to type ssh <ip-of-Rpi> -l root?
                - Open installed PuTTY. Toward the right side, select radio button "SSH".
                - Once you do that, you'll see above "Host Name (or IP address)". Enter here the IP address of the RPi, as you got it off the router. Leave "Port" at 22.
                - Click on "Open button" at the bottom. A (big) black DOS-like window will open, with lines like
                "Login as:" Enter "root" here, or whatever user name you're told to enter.
                "root@<ip-address-of-pi>'s password": Enter the password

Edit: Latest Windows 10 revisions (mine is 16299) have installable command-line OpenSSH client.
                Settings | Apps and Features, Manage Optional Features. Select "OpenSSH client (beta)", you might have to restart Windows after that.
                Now, open Command prompt, and "ssh <ip-of-pi> -l root".
                Last edited by ggeorgiev2001; 2018-01-19, 16:43. Reason: Windows 10 specific

Comment

If your still having problems getting putty to work, hit me with an email at jimfire@jps.net

I can talk you through it. I'm not much more experienced than you, but I've been screwing with putty for a while and I can get it to work and help you get to where you want to be in terms of typing the commands

Comment

Working...
                  X