Ground movements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground movements

I noticed that BKK airport in Bangkok not show any ground movements, taxiing. (maybe thats the case for some other airports too). Can only see planes till they touch down, then they dissappear qickly. Same thing with departures. The planes emerge only after take off. Its like the transponder is switched off shortly after landing and turned on only after airborne. Someone that can explain why this is?

I get this a lot when looking at Glasgow Airport. Usually happens more with smaller aircraft. While watching a plane landing it gets about 5 miles from the airport then freezes.

Comment

Its line of sight, if receivers are blocked by buildings (not AT the airport) then it can't receive signal to plot them.

Same reason MLAT doesn't work well under 3000ft
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Still odd though, since Bangkok Airport and the entire Bangkok is a very plain area, and there is no problem seeing airplanes on ground at other airports with much hillier surrounding.

Comment

Originally posted by stapeln View Post
          Still odd though, since Bangkok Airport and the entire Bangkok is a very plain area, and there is no problem seeing airplanes on ground at other airports with much hillier surrounding.
          If I use my external antenna, I see to 75ft (sometimes 0 but not constant) from 14kms away. If I put it inside, I see a lot less.

It all comes down to receiver location and antennas nearby.
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
            If I use my external antenna, I see to 75ft (sometimes 0 but not constant) from 14kms away. If I put it inside, I see a lot less.

It all comes down to receiver location and antennas nearby.
            Sorry if not allowed here. Wondering what set-up you (Oblivian) have and where it's located in (or around) your dwelling (or wherever). Thanks in advance.

As to the original question and while I cant speak to FR24 receivers as I don't have one I can say that this happens with GPS transceiver hardware I've had to use. The more of them in a given area the better coverage of exact point location we had on X, Y, and Z points. Think like triangulation.

(As a side note minor things like dust/sand, clouds, heavy precipitation and flocks of birds or mosquitoes could mess up the readings sometimes. Though through advancements in technology has mostly become not the case all that often.)

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

I just had a look at BKK. What you're seeing is pretty common at airports that don't have a feeder either at the airport itself or very close, like on a roof just outside the perimeter and overlooking the runways or on a highrise a couple of km away still with a good view. BKK seems to have heaps of feeders judging by the numbers assigned to them but there may just not be one quite close enough to get ground traffic. Perhaps there used to be one or more at the airport but they have gone away - only someone who watches that airport frequently would know. Another good example of this effect has always been Honolulu but I confess I have not looked at it at recently. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
              X