Wind direction in map and plane doesn't match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wind direction in map and plane doesn't match

When comparing the wind direction given by the overlay in barbs and what the planes are reporting it often doesn't match. For example the plane is reporting 300° and the overlay gives approxcimately 260°. I even had differences of 90°.

Is the difference simply caused by the planes reporting the actual direction while the overlay can be outdated or is it something else? Sometimes nearby planes report different directions even though they are close to each other and the overlay indicates similar wind conditions for both locations.
    Last edited by bur; 2017-11-12, 16:13.

Standard adsb that we are all uploading does not include weather from aircraft.

Your question would need to go to the supplier that is giving fr24 the data.

Different adsb (us only mainly) is needed that our receivers don't do for extra data like weather

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Bit more searching has found the explanations of the ES data. Which means yes, accuracy and amount will be limited.

With the release of the latest version of the Flightradar24 website we introduced new flight details called Extended Mode S data.

There has been cases of the weather also being able to be estimated from data and SDR/usb sticks.

Not sure which methods/suppliers fr24 use

But the overlay is only updated 12 times 'a day' so we can guess that's only every 2hrs.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

If I understand that blog post about extended Mode-S correctly, then the wind direction and speed is indeed sent by the plane? I compared planes close to AMS and it seems to be an individual number for each plane, so no general forecast, and most planes give very similar data.

However, the post says it's limited to planes supporting extended Mode-S. But I see this data for every plane, even MLAT. Maybe FR24 uses actual ADS-B data if possible and if not it uses another source?

Should I mail support to ask or do officials read here as well?

Comment

Working...
        X