Questions about High Level Significant Weather and Aeronautical Charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about High Level Significant Weather and Aeronautical Charts

I recently got a business subscription for feeding and honestly some features I don't really understand.

When I enable aeronautical charts, it seems to me that almost no planes are following the routes (at least in Europe, Africa seems a bit different). Why is that? Sometimes I see a plane navigate to beacons (those little triangles), but not always. The numbers next to the routes are just names or do they have some information?

About the High Level Significant Weather. The yellow dashed lines are areas of turbulence, correct? I read the two numbers are intensity and altitude. What is the scale of the intensity and mostly I see XXX for altitude. That supposedly means it's below base level. What does that mean?

The green lines should be jetstreams. What do the black triangles and lines indicate, the wind speed? How exactly?

The scalloped red circles are areas of cumulonimbus clouds, is that right? Again there are those two numbers, are those intensity and altitude?

And last, I sometimes see just the white boxes but without anything else. The text reads simply 550 H or 220. What is that about?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Standard aeronautical weather sites will explain the symbols on weather, such as https://flightplanning.navcanada.ca/...TypeDoc=wxsymb

If you follow the provider links to the other addons most are shown there (for instance cloud/weather overlays say who the provider is)

The little ? beside each also has brief explanation when viewing in browser mode.

Majority are 3rd pty so little is known by FR24 peeps
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Thanks for the link!

About the aeronautical charts, do you know why so few planes seem to follow the routes?

Comment

Only guides, as long as they reach certain waypoints off the coast of land they will take whatever route suits fuel economy vs trade winds and such. SYD-SCL for instance will go anywhere from halfway between Antarctica and NZ, to as far north as Norfolk Islands
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by bur View Post
          About the aeronautical charts, do you know why so few planes seem to follow the routes?
          Free route airspace (FRA) is a specified airspace within which users can freely plan a route between a defined entry point and a defined exit point
          http://www.eurocontrol.int/articles/free-route-airspace

Comment

Working...
          X