Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Raspberry Pi

Hi.

I've used my DVBT stick on my Mac and it's been working fine. Now I'm trying to move it to a new Raspberry Pi (with Raspbian Stretch). I've been trying it on both a Raspberry Pi Zero W and a Rapsberry 3, but my stick doesn't seem to be working on either on them. I know the stick is fine because it works on my Mac and it has no trouble tracking aircrafts. I've started installation from scratch a few times already, to no avail.

Am I missing something? Is there a driver that I need to install?

This is what I'm getting for my status:

FR24 Link: Connected via UDP
    FR24 Radar Code: T-EGEF1
    Aircraft Tracked (ModeS & ADS-B): 0
    Aircraft Uploaded: N/A
    Receiver: dvbt, Connected
    MLAT running: N/A

● fr24feed.service - LSB: Flightradar24 Decoder & Feeder
    Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/fr24feed; generated; vendor preset: enabled)
    Active: active (running) since Thu 2017-10-26 14:59:19 UTC; 3min 39s ago
    Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
    Process: 424 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/fr24feed start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    CGroup: /system.slice/fr24feed.service
    └─498 /usr/bin/fr24feed -- --monitor-file=/dev/shm/fr24feed.txt --write-pid=/var/run/

Oct 26 14:59:19 marcpi systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Flightradar24 Decoder & Feeder...
    Oct 26 14:59:19 marcpi fr24feed[424]: Starting FR24 feeder: fr24feed.
    Oct 26 14:59:19 marcpi systemd[1]: Started LSB: Flightradar24 Decoder & Feeder.

I'm getting this error:
    2017-10-26 16:20:16 | [reader][i]Connecting to DVBT-TCP-BEAST-RAW receiver via (tcp://localhost:30005)
    2017-10-26 16:20:16 | [reader][e]Could not connect to tcp://localhost:30005

I've checked the help page but I can't quite figure out what I'm supposed to do.

Comment

Originally posted by massisi View Post
      I'm getting this error:
      2017-10-26 16:20:16 | [reader][i]Connecting to DVBT-TCP-BEAST-RAW receiver via (tcp://localhost:30005)
      2017-10-26 16:20:16 | [reader][e]Could not connect to tcp://localhost:30005

I've checked the help page but I can't quite figure out what I'm supposed to do.
      This is a bug in Raspbian Stretch, and occurs when settings are as follows:

receiver = "avr-tcp"
      host = "127.0.0.1:30002"

(Please also see this post for details: https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...erminating-BUG)

WORKAROUND

Change settings to following:
      receiver = "beast-tcp"
      host = "127.0.0.1:30005"

You can change these settings in any one of the following two ways:

(1) By editing file "fr24feed.ini:
      Code:
      sudo nano /etc/fr24feed.ini
      #after editing, Save (Ctrl+o) and close editor (Ctrl+x)

#now restart fr24feed
      sudo systemctl restart fr24feed

#Wait for few minutes, then check status by typing ip-of-your-pi:8754 in your Mac's Browser. 
      #You can also check status by following command
      cat /var/log/fr24feed.log

(2) By editing settings page from Browser of your Mac:
      type address ip-of-your-pi:8754/settings.html in address bar of your Mac's Browser and change setting there.
      --For "Receiver", choose ModeS Beast (TCP)
      --For "Host/IP" change 127.0.0.1:30002 to 127.0.0.1:30005
      Now click the "Save" button on bottom-Right of this page, and then click "Restart" button adjacent to "Save" button. (These buttons are not visible in the screenshot below as screenshot was cut on right side to reduce its width)

Last edited by abcd567; 2017-10-26, 17:33.

Comment

Surely it should be set to dvbt USB not Avrtcp.. he didn't indicate hes followed the standalone dump1090 instructions so it's probably not running an open port open

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
          Surely it should be set to dvbt USB not Avrtcp.. he didn't indicate hes followed the standalone dump1090 instructions so it's probably not running an open port open

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
          Thanks for both replies.
          13abcd567's solution worked.

When I couldn't get FR24 to work, I tried installing PiAware and PiAware worked. So when I set-up FR24 again, the setup chose avr-tcp automatically. So 13abcd567's solution worked. I was able to get this to work on the Raspberry Pi 3. However, I still can't get this to work on the Raspberry Pi Zero W.

Comment

Originally posted by massisi View Post
            When I couldn't get FR24 to work, I tried installing PiAware and PiAware worked. So when I set-up FR24 again, the setup chose avr-tcp automatically. So 13abcd567's solution worked.
            Piaware installation works means either you have dump1090-fa or dump1090-mutability installed on Pi 3.

I was able to get this to work on the Raspberry Pi 3. However, I still can't get this to work on the Raspberry Pi Zero W.
            What software have you installed on Pi Zero? If you have NOT installed dump1090-fa (or dump1090-mutablity), then you have to set receiver DVB-T USB, as advised by Oblivian.

Please note if you have a working Piaware on Pi Zero W, then sure you have one of the two decoders (dump1090-fa or dump1090-mutability) installed on Pi Zero W, as Piaware cannot work alone without a decoder.

To check if dump1090-fa or dump1090-mutability exists on your Pi Zero W, give following 2 commands one by one, and post in forum the output generated by each command

Code:
            apt-cache policy dump1090-fa

apt-cache policy dump1090-mutability
            Last edited by abcd567; 2017-10-26, 21:22.

Comment

I just transferred the SD card with the working FR24 (with your solution) from the Pi 3 to the Pi Zero W. When I contacted support about an issue with the Pi Zero W wireless, they told me they transferred the SD card to the Pi Zero W and it worked.

The only source of the Pi Zero W problem I could think of is the USB-Micro USB cable (which works for the wireless keyboard).

(I have dump1090-fa.)

Comment

To check if the dvbt dongle is ok and is properly connected (i.e usb to micro usb cable is ok), try rtl_test on Pi Zero, and post outcome.

Below are the test results of a healthy and working DVB-T on my Pi.

TEST - 1

Code:
                rtl_test -t

Found 1 device(s):
                  0:  Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
                usb_claim_interface error -6
                Failed to open rtlsdr device #0.

TEST -2

Code:
                #first make dvbt dongle free by stopping apps which grab it. 
                sudo systemctl stop piaware
                sudo systemctl stop dump1090-fa
                sudo systemctl stop fr24feed

#now conduct the test of dvb-t
                rtl_test -t

Found 1 device(s):
                  0:  Realtek, RTL2832U, SN: 00000001

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U
                Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
                Supported gain values (29): 0.0 0.9 1.4 2.7 3.7 7.7 8.7 12.5 14.4 15.7 16.6 19.7 20.7 22.9 25.4 28.0 29.7 32.8 33.8 36.4 37.2 38.6 40.2 42.1 43.4 43.9 44.5 48.0 49.6
                Sampling at 2048000 S/s.
                No E4000 tuner found, aborting.

#after test is finished, restart all stopped apps by rebooting the Pi
                sudo reboot

#alternatively if you dont want to reboot the pi, use systemctl command to restart these apps individually

sudo systemctl restart dump1090-fa
                sudo systemctl restart fr24feed
                sudo systemctl restart piaware
                Last edited by abcd567; 2017-10-27, 15:10.

Comment

Talking of Pi Zero W, thought should post photo of a nice portable setup of Pi Zero W by user TomMuc

Comment

Working...
                  X