Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry PI installation made too easy with extra feature.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basically you want to change the fr24feed.ini to what i posted (except the key)
    Just change it and save it.

Then you need to install dump1090-fa
    Code:
    wget http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/pool/piaware/p/piaware-support/piaware-repository_3.6.3_all.deb
    sudo dpkg -i piaware-repository_3.6.3_all.deb
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install dump1090-fa
    sudo lighty-disable-mod dump1090
    sudo reboot
    That should do it. You don't need piaware for dump1090-fa to work.
    Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-02-12, 05:52.

Comment

I spy type=dvbt

And we all know what that does...

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
        Basically you want to change the fr24feed.ini to what i posted (except the key)
        Just change it and save it.

Then you need to install dump1090-fa
        Code:
        wget http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/pool/piaware/p/piaware-support/piaware-repository_3.6.3_all.deb
        sudo dpkg -i piaware-repository_3.6.3_all.deb
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get install dump1090-fa
        sudo lighty-disable-mod dump1090
        sudo reboot
        That should do it. You don't need piaware for dump1090-fa to work.
        Thanks! Will try this during the day today and see how it works. Looking forward to optimizing my setup!

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
          I spy type=dvbt

And we all know what that does...

I don't know.... Can you clarify? Something else I should change while optimizing my setup?

Comment

Originally posted by anydanow1 View Post
            I don't know.... Can you clarify? Something else I should change while optimizing my setup?
            It blindly installs fr24s dump1090 on-top of any other app/setting already there.

Often breaking maps etc or causing conflicts with the stick depending on what starts first. The other add-ons will often fail as a result.

Is why the suggested options given earlier say "DO NOT CHOSE DVBT"

But we can't unfortunately control other people's blogs/guides for older versions of the software where this change wasn't implemented

Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

If you change /etc/fr24feed.ini to what i posted, what Oblivian mentioned won't be a problem.

Also following the guide he followed, which basically only installs fr24feed, using dvbt as a type is perfectly fine as it does not mention separate installation of dump1090.

Apart from that you should read this thread on optimizing the small antennas that come with the dongle:
              STARTER When DVB-T Dongle is purchased, a whip antenna is supplied with it. Every beginner uses this whip in his starter setup. Improve the performance of this whip antenna by three simple steps given below: (1) Whip is too long for 1090 MHz. Cut it to 67mm. (2) Magnetic base provides an insufficient ground-plane. Enlarge

Comment

I read the map API warning and
                It's all running reliably now...and THEN I found this forum and what seem like better options for viewing my personal receiver data.

Is there any way to "fix" what I've already done to give me the better looking dump1090-fa output, or do I have to wipe out my whole Pi setup and start from scratch?

My ini file looks like this:

receiver="dvbt"

fr24key="
                As the remainder of instructions (here) have/are possibly been followed while still in dvbt and needed to be fixed

Just wanted to make sure the start point is infact the 3rd party guide position (and no further adjustments in abcds guide tried.)

Comment

Are you using the pi24 image right now?

I would recommend option 3 or option 4 from here: https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...24-Data-Feeder

In option 3 using dump1090-fa is probably easier than dump1090-mutability 1.15 as the second one needs to be compiled.
                  Anyway it is all explained quite well in the thread.

If you are currently using the sd-card image from this thread then you probably used the DVBT(USB) option in the fr24 configuration. That is the wrong option, it leads to installation of an old version of dump1090 with the mentioned google maps. (the new versions use openstreetmap)

(/etc/fr24feed.ini should look like this:

Code:
                  receiver="beast-tcp"
                  fr24key="xxxxxxx_your_key_xxxxxx"
                  host="127.0.0.1:30005"
                  bs="no"
                  raw="no"
                  logmode="1"
                  logpath="/var/log/"
                  mlat="yes"
                  mlat-without-gps="yes"
                  use-http=yes
                  http-timeout=20
                  )
                  Hi wiedehopf....In your ini file changes above, the line host="127.0.0.1:30005" should be changed to host="myPiIP:30005", is that correct?

Thanks, John

Comment

.... the line host="127.0.0.1:30005" should be changed to host="myPiIP:30005", is that correct?
                    Wrong.
                    It should remain host="127.0.0.1:30005"

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                      Wrong.
                      It should remain host="127.0.0.1:30005"

OK, thanks abcd......I'm definitely not a developer and I'm just learning the ropes, so I appreciate the quick feedback.

John

Comment

Hi wiedehopf and abcd....

It worked! Thank you for the guidance to get this done. The dump1090-fa map (aka PiAware Skyview) and its features are much nicer/readable/usable than the old setup.

Minor question: In the settings area on the FlightAware/PiAware map screen, I selected to show 'Site Position and Range Rings' but neither one is showing on the map. Is there a trick to get that working? i.e., Are the range rings absent because I only installed dump1090-fa, and not also PiAware?

I always like to generally understand what I did when using someone's guidance about stuff like this so I learn something for next time, so in summary is this what this was about:

1) The FR24 package (image?) contains an old version of the DUMP1090 application that's installed by default and was using Google Maps.

2) Flight Aware modified DUMP1090 (into the fa version) and packages that updated version with their installation image and it uses OpenStreetMap.

3) The terminal commands that wiedehopf gave me downloaded the Flight Aware image from their website and subsequently unpacked and installed it. The commands also disabled the old DUMP1090.

4) The ini file was changed to include two mainly different lines of receiver="beast-tcp" and host="127.0.0.1:30005". Can you tell me what those two lines are doing?

5) When the machine boots and executes that ini file then I'm in business.

Any further comments on the above would be great. Thanks!

John
                        Last edited by anydanow1; 2019-02-13, 01:58.

Comment

1) The FR24 package (image?) contains an old version of the DUMP1090 application that's installed by default and was using Google Maps.
                          Yep, to 2 and 3 too - 1.14, and setting 'DVBT' triggers its forced install
                          4) The ini file was changed to include two mainly different lines of receiver="beast-tcp" and host="127.0.0.1:30005". Can you tell me what those two lines are doing?
                          Expected type of data https://wiki.jetvision.de/wiki/Mode-...Output_Formats
                          Beast is 'raw' binary with MLAT time tag included
                          30005 is port that raw data being sent out from the decoder that is talking to the stick

Multiple other applications can use the same port to daisy-chain.

5) When the machine boots and executes that ini file then I'm in business.
                          It's more a config page, and looks at it for settings during startup of fr24

And as this has now branched away from being a 'guide' thread. Expect posts to disappear when I clean it back up to raw informative-for-all info rather than specific which can lead others astray.

Comment

1) It's called a package (debian package in this case). An image file would be something you overwrite the complete sd-card with, containing operating system and with some provided images having a feeder package already set up. But yes you installed fr24feed, which when set to dvbt, installs an old version of dump1090 automatically.

2) for you to download/install dump1090-fa via "apt-get install dump1090-fa" (apt-get is using the debian package system) you need to teach that system to trust and look for packages provided by flightaware. That is what downloading/installing the first package did.

3) the dump1090 installed by fr24 is not started automatically, it is instead started by fr24feed when it is started. so when you change the fr24feed settings to beast, no dump1090 is started anymore.
                            then the lighty-disable-mod removes the webserver (lighttpd) configuration for the old dump1090 so the dump1090-fa webpage is displayed properly (the configurations don't work together).
                            you can still uninstall the dump1090 but it shouldn't really matter. (sudo apt-get purge dump1090)

4) before changing the settings fr24feed would start dump1090 and just process its output directly. But with a separate dump1090 (-fa) installation you want the communication to happen via network. Now while this is from the technical standpoint using the TCP protocol to get data from dump1090-fa to fr24feed, it all stays on the same computer.
                            127.0.0.1 is the address for the current computer, called localhost. So you basically tell fr24feed to look for data on port 30005, on the computer it is running on.
                            (using the IP of your pi would have also worked, but that IP could change so using 127.0.0.1 is better because it does not change)

5) Well as soon as dump1090-fa is installed it will start automatically with default settings and provide data on port 30005. fr24feed with the new config will get its data there.

Installing piaware and specifying your location on the flightaware website might get you location and distance rings in dump1090-fa.
                            But it is easier just to put your location into the configuration:
                            Edit /etc/default/dump1090-fa
                            In one of the lines, inside the ".....", add: --lat 50 --lon 10
                            Be sure to have spaces with the other options already present.
                            then use: sudo systemctl restart dump1090-fa
                            for the settings to take effect.

(This file is also where you would change gain, which is likely not necessary with your current setup, only needed with an amplifier in front of the receiver)

Comment

1) It's called a package (debian package in this case). An image file would be something you overwrite the complete sd-card with, containing operating system and with some provided images having a feeder package already set up. But yes you installed fr24feed, which when set to dvbt, installs an old version of dump1090 automatically.

2) for you to download/install dump1090-fa via "apt-get install dump1090-fa" (apt-get is using the debian package system) you need to teach that system to trust and look for packages provided by flightaware. That is what downloading/installing the first package did.

3) the dump1090 installed by fr24 is not started automatically, it is instead started by fr24feed when it is started. so when you change the fr24feed settings to beast, no dump1090 is started anymore.
                              then the lighty-disable-mod removes the webserver (lighttpd) configuration for the old dump1090 so the dump1090-fa webpage is displayed properly (the configurations don't work together).
                              you can still uninstall the dump1090 but it shouldn't really matter. (sudo apt-get purge dump1090)

4) before changing the settings fr24feed would start dump1090 and just process its output directly. But with a separate dump1090 (-fa) installation you want the communication to happen via network. Now while this is from the technical standpoint using the TCP protocol to get data from dump1090-fa to fr24feed, it all stays on the same computer.
                              127.0.0.1 is the address for the current computer, called localhost. So you basically tell fr24feed to look for data on port 30005, on the computer it is running on.
                              (using the IP of your pi would have also worked, but that IP could change so using 127.0.0.1 is better because it does not change)

5) Well as soon as dump1090-fa is installed it will start automatically with default settings and provide data on port 30005. fr24feed with the new config will get its data there.

Installing piaware and specifying your location on the flightaware website might get you location and distance rings in dump1090-fa.
                              But it is easier just to put your location into the configuration:
                              Edit /etc/default/dump1090-fa
                              In one of the lines, inside the ".....", add: --lat 50 --lon 10
                              Be sure to have spaces with the other options already present.
                              then use: sudo systemctl restart dump1090-fa
                              for the settings to take effect.

(This file is also where you would change gain, which is likely not necessary with your current setup, only needed with an amplifier in front of the receiver)

Thanks Oblivian....I understand about the need to clean up.

Thanks wiedehopf....Yours and Oblivian's answers have cleared this up to the point where I confirmed my understanding now.

I will edit the /etc/default/dump1090-fa file and add my specific lat lon information in the RECEIVER_OPTIONS line as:

Old version:

RECEIVER_OPTIONS="--device-index 0 --gain -10 --ppm 0 --net-bo-port 30005"

New version:

RECEIVER_OPTIONS="--device-index 0 --gain -10 --ppm 0 --net-bo-port 30005 --lat XX --lon XX"

Have a good day...

John

Comment

Been a fresh change to have someone look into the workings of it first, then get their head around what they're doing and how it will effect each step vs. blindly doing it (and more) and expecting to get a quick fix without knowing all the details/pausing during changes

Comment

Working...
                                X