Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry PI installation made too easy with extra feature.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm like that with most things. I need to understand what I'm doing and why it's working so that I can get a full appreciation for it. My next step is to figure out how to finish installing PiAware as well so that I can feed both FR24 and FlightAware with my receiver data without causing any conflicts between the two applications.

Comment

there won't be any conflicts if fr24 and dump1090-fa are already working at the same pi.

piaware by default looks for data on 127.0.0.1:30005, so that works out of the box.

after the sudo apt-get install piaware you just wait 5 minutes, then claim the receiver: https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/claim
      create an account and configure the location on the stats page clicking the cog wheel at the right side of the orange bar.

(if you want to read a bit more about people tinkering the forum over at flightaware is also not a bad place)

(don't scold me oblivian, this time someone asked you can of course clean it up when you collect the rest of the posts)

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
        there won't be any conflicts if fr24 and dump1090-fa are already working at the same pi.

piaware by default looks for data on 127.0.0.1:30005, so that works out of the box.

after the sudo apt-get install piaware you just wait 5 minutes, then claim the receiver: https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/claim
        create an account and configure the location on the stats page clicking the cog wheel at the right side of the orange bar.

(if you want to read a bit more about people tinkering the forum over at flightaware is also not a bad place)

(don't scold me oblivian, this time someone asked you can of course clean it up when you collect the rest of the posts)
        Oh, wow.....OK, that's great! I didn't realize that they could both run in parallel off of the same receiver data without a conflict surfacing. I'll work on setting that up later today.

Comment

dump1090 is "listening" on port 30005 (running a server on that port).

So you can have as many clients connect as you want and they will all get the beast data.
          (until you run out of computing power that is, or if the clients connect over the network, bandwidth.
          many people run 5 or even more feeders without a problem.)

Comment

I can't do anything with the /etc/default/dump1090-fa file.

I can open it and add the lat and lon parameters to the RECEIVER_OPTIONS line as we discussed above, but when I try to save the edited file it launches the save as dialog box, then I click OK and it asks me if I want to overwrite, I say 'Yes', and then it gives me an error and does not save my changes.

I then tried to rename that file so that I could make a new version of it with my parameters in it, but I can't do that either.

Which begs the question......how the heck do I edit this file?

Comment

anydanow1
              Did you use sudo at start of command to open the file?

If not, then add sudo at start of command
              Code:
              sudo nano /etc/default/dump1090-fa
              If you used sudo, and still got the problem, then first give following command, and after that edit and save the file dump1090-fa
              Code:
              sudo mount -o remount,rw /
              Last edited by abcd567; 2019-02-19, 17:09.

Comment

Interesting. Thanks.

I'm new to Linux/Raspian/Pi, so I had just opened the file with File Manager and tried editing it with that typical Windows-like UI approach. Lesson learned that that doesn't seem to work properly on Raspian (?) and I need to use a Terminal window instead.

So now I have the 100/150/200 rings around my black-dotted location on the PiAware Skyview screen. Done! Would be nice if there was a way to get a 50-mile ring on there too, because due to my less than optimal location most of my hit and location reporting is coming from 75 miles or less. The furthest I've gotten is about the 100-mile mark, so I need to do some antenna optimization.

Interestingly, I got my Lat/Lon information by dragging the marker on the map on the FR24 website coordinates screen to my exact zoomed in house location. When I put that same Lat/Lon info into the file above, the black dot on the Skyview screen appears several hundred yards west of where I actually am. Not sure why that's happening (or if it even matters), but I would have thought Skyview would have positioned that Lat/Lon info exactly the same as other tools that I used to double check my location.

Thanks again for the help...I learn something new every day with this stuff!

Comment

dump1090-fa --help says:

--json-location-accuracy <n> Accuracy of receiver location in json metadata: 0=no location, 1=approximate, 2=exact

So in your configuration file you can set that to 2 and the map will display your exact location.

You don't need a terminal to edit the file, you just need to be root (like Administrator in window).
                  sudo executes the command behind it as root.
                  nano is the editor used.

Comment

Originally posted by anydanow1 View Post
                    So now I have the 100/150/200 rings around my black-dotted location on the PiAware Skyview screen. Done! Would be nice if there was a way to get a 50-mile ring on there too
                    Open file config.js for editing

Code:
                    sudo nano /usr/share/dump1090-fa/html/config.js
                    When the file config.js opens by above command,
                    Press Ctll+w keys together to enter search mode, then type SiteCircles and press Enter Key.
                    The cursor will jump to following code in the file
                    In the line "SiteCirclesDistances = new Array(100,150,200);" add 50, as shown in red below
                    Code:
                    SiteCircles = true; // true to show circles (only shown if the center marker is shown)
                    // In miles, nautical miles, or km (depending settings value 'DisplayUnits')
                    SiteCirclesDistances = new Array([COLOR="#FF0000"][B]50,[/B][/COLOR]100,150,200);
                    Save file (Ctrl+o) and Close it (Ctrl+x)

Now open map in your browser, clear browser cache (Ctrl+Shift+Delete) and reload browser (Ctrl+F5)
                    Last edited by abcd567; 2019-02-19, 18:56.

Comment

Setting the accuracy and the 50-mile rings worked as you both described. Very cool. A lot of neat stuff to mess with in there!

This weekend I'm going to take some online intro courses for Linux to understand the structure of the OS better and some of the stuff that I'm doing here, learn some of the basic commands, and the ins/outs of the OS. As discussed above, I don't like making changes without really understanding things, just for my own knowledge.

I thought that logging into the Pi as the default Pi user would give me root privileges, which is why I was trying to use File Manager to do the edits. No?

Comment

Well the user pi is allowed to use sudo, so in that way you have root privileges when you want them.

But the user root is still another user.

Comment

This link does a good job of explaining the cascading set of questions I had coming to mind next. And I guess that link also clarifies why you were recommending to just use sudo nano when needed....

A step-by-step guide to get admin power on your Linux system The "root" user account on Linux has full administrative privileges over the entire system. If you want to edit system configuration files, install software, add users, or...

Comment

@anydanow1

Are you loging to Pi using a Monitor connected to RPi by a HDMI cable, and a keyboard plugged into USB port of RPi?

Comment

Hello,
                              I have problem with my 1090 active filter.
                              When I run in SDR program, I must reduce gain to max 2,7dBi. Because I thing, the RTL- SDR run automaticaly on max. mode, so its too
                              much signal.. The filter have 38 dBi gain... So in my raspberry its not possible reduce signal gain manualy.
                              When I plug this filter to receiver, I don't see any plane, because the signal is too strong.
                              In RTL software is all ok with this filter and signal is better.
                              Is it some scripts, for antenna gain please?
                              Thank you very much

Comment

Originally posted by Winap View Post
                                Hello,
                                I have problem with my 1090 active filter.
                                When I run in SDR program, I must reduce gain to max 2,7dBi. Because I thing, the RTL- SDR run automaticaly on max. mode, so its too
                                much signal.. The filter have 38 dBi gain... So in my raspberry its not possible reduce signal gain manualy.
                                When I plug this filter to receiver, I don't see any plane, because the signal is too strong.
                                In RTL software is all ok with this filter and signal is better.
                                Is it some scripts, for antenna gain please?
                                Thank you very much
                                If using FR24feed as 'DVBT' mode add to 'additional commands' (process arguments?)
                                --gain 2.7

If using Dump1090 as 'AVRTCP' or similar. Adjust configuration to include --gain 2.7
                                sudo dpkg-reconfigure dump1090-mutability
                                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Working...
                                X