Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry PI installation made too easy with extra feature.

Passenger
    Yes, but I don't know, how often is using SD card for writing..Because I don't want to look every week, if I'm online and pi is ok. Some people make virtual cache into RAM..But I don't know, if its good.
    If will be for 3-4 years, than is ok. How long are you seeding without problems, please?
    Thank you

Captain
    If you have a normal setup there won't be many writes to the sd-card.

If failures occur they will likely be unrelated to writing to the sd-card.

(For example the circuitry of the sd-card might fail not related to the actual process of saving data if that makes sense)

As i said don't worry about it, it's unlikely anything will break.

Passenger
    Ok many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Winap View Post
    If will be for 3-4 years, than is ok. How long are you seeding without problems, please?
    I am feeding from RPi since beginning of 2015, i.e. 4 years, 24/7 continously, and the original 8 Gb, Class10 microSD card is still surviving & healthy. Further, I dont feed only fr24. I feed all the following sites from same RPi / microSD card:
    • FlightRadar24
    • FlightAware
    • Planefinder
    • RadarBox24
    • Open Sky Network
    • Adsbexchange

Passenger
    abcd567
    So if I have FlightRadar img. its not problem feed other sites? Or I must delete it, install Linux, install FlightRadar, FlightAware..?

Quote Originally Posted by Winap View Post
    abcd567
    So if I have FlightRadar img. its not problem feed other sites?

No problem. You can feed other sites also from Pi24 image

Or I must delete it, install Linux, install FlightRadar, FlightAware..?

You can, but not necessary.

You have following 4 options. All are good.

1. Write PI24 image (from FR24) to microSD card, set receiver=dvbt (with this setting, the integral dump1090-mutability ver 1.14 will be started), then install all other feeders.
      Note: MLAT feed back from Flightaware cannot be handled properly by dump1090-mutability ver 1.14. Therefore for display of Flightaware MLAT feedback on map, use option 2 or 3 or 4

2. Write PI24 image (from FR24) to microSD card, set receiver=beast-tcp, then install either dump1090-mutability ver 1.15~dev OR dump1090-fa. Then install other feeders.
      Caution: with this option, when configuring fr24feed, do NOT use receiver=dvbt. Use receiver=beast-tcp

3. Write Raspbian Lite image (from raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian ) to microSD card, then install either dump1090-mutability ver1.15~dev OR dump1090-fa, then install all feeders.
      Caution: with this option, when configuring fr24feed, do NOT use receiver=dvbt. Use receiver=beast-tcp

4. Write Piaware image (from Flightaware) to microSD card (this has integral dump1090-fa and flightaware data feeder). Then install all other feeders.
    Last edited by abcd567; 2019-04-07 at 21:08.

Flight attendant
    Quote Originally Posted by abcd567 View Post
    I am feeding from RPi since beginning of 2015, i.e. 4 years, 24/7 continously, and the original 8 Gb, Class10 microSD card is still surviving & healthy. Further, I dont feed only fr24. I feed all the following sites from same RPi / microSD card:
    • FlightRadar24
    • FlightAware
    • Planefinder
    • RadarBox24
    • Open Sky Network
    • Adsbexchange
    Hi abcd567.

First i wanna say that i love to read your post, and it's really help me get some info about "what is raspberry pi"
    i'm coming from "IT for PC" so it's a bit helpful, but still i have to learn raspberry pi from scratch.
    i have just one question.
    wouldn't be easy to make an iso image (like in pc) and upload it for everyone use ?
    is it possible, or each unit is unique, and you need to do the all installation from scratch ?
    thanks you for all your help here.

Quote Originally Posted by ramimz View Post
    i have just one question.
    wouldn't be easy to make an iso image (like in pc) and upload it for everyone use ?
    is it possible, or each unit is unique, and you need to do the all installation from scratch ?
    Yes, such an image exists. It is .img, not .iso, but it is equally good.

The first post of this thread gives the link to download this image, and detailed instructions to install.

Passenger
    As someone who is totally new to this thank you for putting this post together. However even though I've followed your instructions regarding downloading and burning the image every time I put it in my Pi it won't boot (flashing red light). I've downloaded it several times on different pc's and burned the image to 3 different cards but still the same issue. Every other image I've burned is fine so am I missing something?

Passenger
    I had never problem with image..
    Just download, unRAR image..
    In Rufus just open this image
    Rufus automaticaly format your micro SD card into 2 partitions.
    Then insert to PI..if will not boot after few second to 1 minute, try Off PI and ON..(restart)
    It must function..But rufus is good for that.
    Last edited by Winap; 2019-05-03 at 16:02. Reason: mistake in word