Desktop Streaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desktop Streaming

It took several days and quite a bit of cussing, but I am able to stream a Raspbian (Jessie) desktop image to my site's homepage. It can be viewed at http://rotate.aero.

If anybody would like to try this, I can follow it up with more detail. I can also host your personal desktop stream on the site also.

This particular feeder is at the house, one story with massive trees around, so the range is not so great. You can feed both FR24 and Plane Finder (maybe others) off of one RTL with DUMP1090. I'm also doing a double feed from work (T-KIAH6) with a Raspberry Pi. Unfortunately, the bandwidth needed for a live stream from there is not possible. I've also found the Pi doesn't have enough power (memory and processor) to maintain a constant stream.
    Last edited by mdfavionics; 2017-10-07, 23:34.

As best as I can remember,

http://rotate.aero/forum/ads-b-recei...ktop-streaming

Comment

You can stream the decoded data, or reverse-tunnel the web interface to your browser, and control the Pi via SSH.

Why on earth would you want to live-stream the desktop? I don't see the point, it's a huge waste of bandwidth.

/M
      F-ESDF1, F-ESGG1, F-ESGP1, F-ESNK1, F-ESNV2, F-ESNV3 F-ESSL4, F-ESNZ7, F-LFMN3
      T-ESNL1, T-ESNL2, T-ESGR15
      P-ESIA, P-ESIB, P-ESGF, P-ESSN, P-EFMA
      mrmac (a) fastest.cc

Comment

Well........ because I can. Viewing data streams or web interfaces externally is simple enough. This was a learning exercise to start with. I think it's worthwhile and certainly more useful than streaming games (which is what most people do) much less so than actually wasting the time playing them.

I placed it on the site to show folks who might not have ever seen something like this before. Maybe it might tweak their curiosity. All the people who post on this board are well versed with ADS-B data streaming and feeds, so the interest might be not that great from this vantage point.

My explanation page has received quite a few hits. I'd have to assume others might be interested in it also. I've offered to place personal streams on the site.

So...... is it really your issue to come out with such a slam job. I fix aircraft. I'm pretty damn good at it. I play with web sites, servers, Linux, and networking as an ongoing educational process. I'm not going to stop because somebody "can't see the point".

By the way...... where can I see "your" feed?
        Last edited by mdfavionics; 2017-10-09, 04:50.

Comment

Working...
        X