Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disassemble the FA Jetison antenna

Hi there,

Apart form FR24, I am feeding to FA as well by using their flightfeeder. Have been using it for almost 4 months. But about these 2 recent weeks, my GPS is getting hard to do the detection and the led almost of the time on blinking red. Already check the connection, cleaned the contacts and retighten, change the coax cable, not much improvement. Getting green for a day or two and back to red for the rest.

During my checking on the contacts at the N type of both female and male, found traces of wet foamy substance, I am suspecting moisture due to the raining season currently. The rubber cap is intact, the vulcanized tape is firmed, the moisture must be penetrated via the glue that sticked the pvc and the metal part. I am thinking to disassemble the antenna, checking if the moisture trap inside, to dry and apply the sealant again.

I wonder if any of our members here experienced the same problem and opened the antenna? which part should I begin with to open.

Sent 2 emails to their support, still to date no reply from them.

Thanks.

Ypu are talking about the Jetvision ADS-B antenna, but also mention GPS funtionality? The GPS antenna has nothing to do with the ADS-B antenna.

But no, I have 8 systems running with that antenna and never had any problem with water ingress. I would check if the vulc tape is applied correctly. I always use my own because it neds to be much longer than what they include. t should cover all the way from the cable to the N-female thread. Then a layer of electrical tape should be applied on top of it.
    F-ESDF1, F-ESGG1, F-ESGP1, F-ESNK1, F-ESNV2, F-ESNV3 F-ESSL4, F-ESNZ7, F-LFMN3
    T-ESNL1, T-ESNL2, T-ESGR15
    P-ESIA, P-ESIB, P-ESGF, P-ESSN, P-EFMA
    mrmac (a) fastest.cc

Comment

Originally posted by MrMac View Post
      Ypu are talking about the Jetvision ADS-B antenna, but also mention GPS funtionality? The GPS antenna has nothing to do with the ADS-B antenna.

But no, I have 8 systems running with that antenna and never had any problem with water ingress. I would check if the vulc tape is applied correctly. I always use my own because it neds to be much longer than what they include. t should cover all the way from the cable to the N-female thread. Then a layer of electrical tape should be applied on top of it.
      Yes, Jetvision ADS-B antenna. The model type supplied by flightaware is Jetvision SCO-1090-GPS which is a hybrid, GPS built-in sealed together. btw, I am managed to open the unit by twisted slowly the white PVC (or fiberglass?). As per the images below, oxidized parts clearly visible (bluish or green in color) due to moisture trapped inside. The suspected leaking area is between the white PVC and the metal, the rubber seal became hardened and cracked, making the water ingress possible especially during the heavy rain. The other area as on top, the rubber cap is intact. As for N-type female + the male, I'll wrap it with new vulc tape.

IMG_20170924_093501.jpg

IMG_20170924_090123.jpg

IMG_20170923_182834.jpg

Done with the cleaning by using the cotton to absorb the moisture, open it overnight to dry the remaining. And this morning, once the coax connected to the bare unit, the GPS is working again.

Comment

OK, I know about the hybrid antenna for Flightfeeder, but I assumed you were talking about the FR24 equipment since you are on the FR24 forum....

But thanks for the pictures, interesting to see.

/M
        mrmac (a) fastest.cc

Comment

Like you say, it is water ingress due to bad seal between antenna pipe and metal ferrule.

On that version of antenna with the extended flange over N connector, the vulc tape should be applied starting from the cable, over the entire connector and ending on the flange.

/M
          mrmac (a) fastest.cc

Comment

Originally posted by MrMac View Post
            OK, I know about the hybrid antenna for Flightfeeder, but I assumed you were talking about the FR24 equipment since you are on the FR24 forum....

But thanks for the pictures, interesting to see.

/M
            It is okay, I am asking earlier if someone already open their antenna as I am a bit worried of breaking any parts of it. I am posting about FA in FR24 upon reading this
            No Flightradar24 issues.
            in hardware category. My FR24 equipments, it just running great

Comment

The FR24-version of the Jetvision ADSB antenna seem to be glued with epoxy and can not be opened that easily, but also they don't leak...

/M
              mrmac (a) fastest.cc

Comment

I am using the good quality aquarium rubber silicone to seal it again, the good should be much easier for me to do the servicing again in the future. Now waiting it to dry under the room temp first before move it to the roof. As on top, added the 2nd layer of protection by putting the tip of heavy duty rubber glove (got earlier intention to put a condom, but since it is not durable to weather I am going for rubber glove instead). Still using the original white rubber cap, but it is on the outer layer.

IMG_20170924_105749.jpg

IMG_20170924_105933.jpg

Comment

Same problem

Had the same problem with my antenna. The seal between the plastic rod and metal base was dissolved and rain water seeped into the antenna. Took the antenna apart, cleaned and assembled back but it does not fuction anymore. Looks like there is a small part which seems to got dissolved, C1 is marked next to that position, and I don't have any clue what it's value might be. Hope someone has a clue about that and share it with me.

p.s. tried to attach some pictures but can't get the upload fuction work :-(

Comment

Hi
                    My Antenna with the GPS built in has also leaked from around where the pipe is glued or / bonded to the base, incedentally the base if you hold it in a vice with the antenna mounting clamp the lower section unscrews and is sealed at the top by an o-ring, my antenna seems to work intermittently maybe a poor connection to the GPS unit via an mcx plug and socket (I believe) connected up to the FA unit it read 3.24 v across the ground and centre pins, and also by probing the mcx connector so wether the GPS unit its self is kaput I'm not sure, also on mine the foam tape at various points was absolutely sodden with water so it may have been also leaking by capillary action at the top cap which seemed only glued one side, but I too would be interested in any component values available.

Comment

Working...
                    X