Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Second guessing destination airport -Why?

First officer

Second guessing destination airport -Why?

Why are you second guessing the destination airport when you don't have flight details or a flight plan? For General Aviation and especially private aircraft it almost never makes sense.

It seems at if you assume the aircraft will make the trip to where ever it came from last, but there is absolutely no reason why that should the case. So we Pipers and Cessnas clearly heading in the opposite direction of your guess.

Why not stop doing that?

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpin View Post
    Why are you second guessing the destination airport when you don't have flight details or a flight plan? For General Aviation and especially private aircraft it almost never makes sense.

It seems at if you assume the aircraft will make the trip to where ever it came from last, but there is absolutely no reason why that should the case. So we Pipers and Cessnas clearly heading in the opposite direction of your guess.

Why not stop doing that?
    I don't think FR24 collate airport, flight and airline data - it is purchased from other providers and some of it is of pretty lousy quality. There is little evidence that flight plans play much part in the process. I don't like plugging competing products on forums but while FR24 easily provides the best coverage and visual experience, Flight Aware has much better data. You really need to use both programs and maybe other sources as well.

Super Moderator
    Where no lodged flightplan exists from their provider I believe it uses closest-receiver to log to/from. (The guess in this case)

Often you see smaller non commercials have a origin only and ??? As dest. Until it gets nearer one and loses contact.

This poses a problem down the line as it appears to then save this flight log against either the aircraft or squawked callsign and populated the next flight the same

Plenty of trainers here in nz for instance fly with the reg as callsign and the route is forever changing but also wrong based on 'last seen doing'

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Quote Originally Posted by Kpin View Post

Why not stop doing that?
    We get data from many different data sources including booking systems, schedules, airlines, airports, flight plans and some ANSP's. Coverage is very different depending on traffic type, region and many other parameters. For regular passenger flights we probably get routes for 99%+ of flights, for charters maybe 70-90% and for cargo 60-80%. In some cases we also get routes for smaller aircraft and for example Cessna 208 is very often used for different type of scheduled flights. So it's not possible to say that one or another aircraft type is not getting any schedules.

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    We get data from many different data sources including booking systems, schedules, airlines, airports, flight plans and some ANSP's. Coverage is very different depending on traffic type, region and many other parameters. For regular passenger flights we probably get routes for 99%+ of flights, for charters maybe 70-90% and for cargo 60-80%. In some cases we also get routes for smaller aircraft and for example Cessna 208 is very often used for different type of scheduled flights. So it's not possible to say that one or another aircraft type is not getting any schedules.
    But In some cases you are just guessing. I fly privately in Cessna 172 and Piper 32R and often without any declared destination. In some cases I haven't made up my mind until in the air. Still I can see that you expect me to go to wherever I went last. And when I land somewhere you stubbornly declare that I diverted to that place.
    Independently of aircraft type I see no reason to give a destination if you have not received that information from a source.

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    A lot of those sources are providing you with complete trash though. The site seems to have gone in a different direction over this past few years where you now seem to aiming for quantity over quality, and it shows (and not in a good way).
    <<< Tyke's Aero Blog >>>. Documenting Boeing production and deliveries since 2004.

Captain
    Maybe Flightradar24 can add something on the page that they are second guessing the airport it took off or landed at for the aircraft.

Captain
    [QUOTE=Kpin;95029 And when I land somewhere you stubbornly declare that I diverted to that place.
    [/QUOTE]

A variation on "diversions" particularly irks me. I live close to the city of Toowoomba in Australia which has two airports. Their IATA codes are TWB and WTB. TWB is a general aviation airport while WTB gets all the scheduled airline flights and some of the GA. Flights operated by one particular airline regularly show as being diverted from WTB to TWB notwithstanding that the aircraft type could not safely land at TWB. I suspect that the "diversion" is caused by someone, somewhere entering the wrong choice of one of two similar airport codes.

Likewise a charter airline regularly flies from Brisbane and Adelaide to a remote oil and gas facility called Ballera (BBL) but FR24 shows it as going to Batman (BAL), an airport in Turkey. This is an obvious example of someone guessing that BAL might be the code for Ballera. It might be better if they used the four character ICAO codes because they are more distinctive than the three character IATA ones eg Toowomba City YTWB, Toowoomba West Wellcamp YBBW, Ballera YLLE, Batman LTCJ.

I know of no currently available means to notify errors like these within FR24.

First officer
    Here we have OY-POZ, a Piper 28 on its way to the north west. GTI (Rgen) is down in the southeast corner. And OY-POZ did not start from RKE (Roskilde) but from EKRS (Ringsted). It is actually based in Roskilde and that might have something to do with the guess.
    OYPOZ.JPG

Super Moderator
    Suspect thats a case of 'closest receiver signal near x airport'

It thinks it takes off from there all the time, no mention of Ringsted https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/oy-poz
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers