Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Jessie Lite image vs APT package (Pi 3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Jessie Lite image vs APT package (Pi 3)

I am currently experimenting for first time on a Raspberry Pi 3, with the fr24feed APT package, installing this on a fresh Raspbian image. All is good connecting via wifi.

On the '/build-your-own/' page of the site, there is the complete Raspberry Pi image based on Raspbian Jessie lite. This doesn't seem to get mentioned on the feed.flightradar24 site, nor in the stickies on this forum as far as I can see.

- I am using a Raspberry Pi 3, will need to use wifi connection, and am planning on it being a dedicated device for this purpose stashed away in the loft. I don't have any need for a GUI.

Is there any significant difference in the end result between these two options once it is working? Is the complete image a lesser option for any reason (and intended basically for simplicity), or is it actually a better option for a dedicated device? I assume the R.Jessie.lite image has the same dump1090 and ability to look at a map of tracked flights locally, e.g. on port 8080? I am assuming I will be able to get wifi working on the R.lite image and it would work through that in the same way.

Thanks for any information or signposting to info.

Yes, the image is simplified. You cannot add additional software to it, such as dump1090 mutability for visual output and such or easily configure wireless without Linux knowledge.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Any difference to the end result once all setup properly though, in terms of feeding to fr24?

I can see a map output with standard dump1090 without mutability, I think, if that's what you mean? Wireless is something I will need to work out though, but in principle the simplified image would work with WiFi once enabled properly?

Comment

There is no difference whether you use Pi24 image based on Jessie lite or fr24feed apt. With Pi24 you are able to activate your feed directly from the website and there is no need for GUI as most people will access it via ssh. But this is only in regards to the feed. You might want to use your Pi for other purposes which might require you to have a GUI. Any how, coming to your question about tracking flights locally and wifi. The answer to both is yes, you can do that. If you have already set up your feed, just access it's status page (IP-of-Pi:8754) go to Settings and in Process Arguments enter "--net" without the quotes. Save and restart. Your map will be available on IP-of-Pi:8080 now. For setting up wifi check here.
        --

Comment

Sorry, you had multiple threads in moderation (spam detection) which were invisible.

Merged Khans answer to this
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Working...
          X