Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

different coverage changing place: is important the speed of wi-fi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• different coverage changing place: is important the speed of wi-fi?

I know, the title is a little obscure.
    I placed my Raspberry with a DVB-T stick and the antenna (1/4 wave, stylo) near my router, with the antenna posed on the frame of the aluminium window, at last floor of the building.
    This way I get a coverage only in a restricted beam around 240° and receive aircraft until 210 miles.
    The Raspberry was connected with a cable, and now via wi-fi.
    When all was working, I placed the same hardware on the flat roof (a terrace), which is not obstructed and the antenna has a 360° sky visibility.
    Now, I get a near 360° coverage BUT ONLY UNTIL 40 Miles and no more!
    All is the same, antenna cable, hardware, position, only the place is 3 meters high. The only thing different is the distance from the router: it will be possible that a weak signal interfere with the coverage? I believe it is impossible, but why placing the antenna in a better position DECREASE my coverage?
    Perhaps will be a saturation problem? I don't have any RF source in the neighbor...
    Any suggestion?

Than you!
    Roberto
    T-LIMJ5 and T-LIMW3
    Last edited by arruba; 2017-07-21, 14:44.

Roberto,
    It could be that the aluminium frame was acting as a ground plane for the antennae, try getting a large steel baking tray or similar and putting the antennae on the centre of that, you may find that you get a good increase that way (a 1/4 wave antennae needs a good ground plane if it is to work well, a dipole or co-linear will work fine without one)
    Ben.
    FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

I Ben,
      Thank you for the answer.
      I forgot to mention that I placed the antenna on the roof over a large plate of steel, acting as ground plane.
      Later I'll post some pictures.

Comment

Working...
      X