Breaking sound barrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking sound barrier

AT 12:11 am this morning a Lufthansa A380 (lh441) (iah - fra) was flying at 725mph at an altitude of 37000 feet. Was it exceeding mach 1. It was over the Atlantic Ocean at the time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

About 30mph short for mach1..

768mph
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

I though 768 was at ground level according to what I've read. Doesn't it reduce at altitude increases?

Comment

The reported speed from ADSB is relative ground speed.

ADS-B does not report vertical or horizontal airspeed. Instead, ADS-B reports horizontal and vertical velocity relative to the Earth. This velocity is useful for air traffic control functions and ADS-B applications. Airspeed can be provided by other aircraft sensors.
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Thanks. .944 mach is pretty impressive for such a huge aircraft.

Comment

So I believe, no matter the alt. unless that ticks over and the plane gets super stressed by a sonic boom. It'd have been close. But not breaking.

Comment

Working...
            X