Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: NooElec with small antenna ---> FA Pro Stick + FA 1090 Antenna = worse results?

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by abcd567 View Post
    Try Gain 30 dB.
    Users having FA Antenna and Pro Stick /Pro Stick Plus, generally use gain between 25 dB and 35 dB.
    I use 28 dB with one receiver, and 30 dB with other one.
    Understood, will try this.
    I'm developer and/or devops guy by trade, so I have no issues figuring out linux stuff (but thank you, I'm sure that'll be beneficial to others reading the thread).

That cable appears to have an RP-SMA connector. That's the reason for poor data. You need an SMA connector:

https://oscarliang.com/difference-sm...na-fpv-copter/

The pin is missing. You can try inserting a short piece of copper wire to test.
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Anmer View Post
    That cable appears to have an RP-SMA connector. That's the reason for poor data. You need an SMA connector:

https://oscarliang.com/difference-sm...na-fpv-copter/

The pin is missing. You can try inserting a short piece of copper wire to test.

.....well crap, glad I posted the link! Just ordered a new cable same-day delivery, will report back!

Quote Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
    .....well crap, glad I posted the link! Just ordered a new cable same-day delivery, will report back!
    You can utilize the existing cable also by the following very easy and simple workaround:

TEMPORARY WORKAROUND
    The SMA-male has center pin. The reverse SMA (RP-SMA) male does not have a center pin, it has a hole. The center wire connection is open because of missing pin. A temporary workaround is to cut a short piece of center wire of coax and insert in hole of RP-SMA male. This piece of wire will act as the missing pin, and connection will be established.

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SMA AND RP-SMA

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by abcd567 View Post
    You can utilize the existing cable also by the following very easy and simple workaround:

Thank you for that. When I posted earlier today, I was at work and Amazon had same-day delivery on the right cable. Plugged it in as soon as I got home and the # of aircraft my Pi saw with default gain settings went from 14 to 50 immediately .

Looking forward to what I'll be able to see tomorrow.

Good to know your setup's improved with the new cable.

FA has sold thousands of Pro Sticks and external antennae, all with extremely low failure rates. The Pro Stick is designed for 1090 MHz data, sold at cost by FA (there's no added margin) to encourage others to become data feeders, for whichever tracking service they prefer.

Your symptoms always suggested a local setup issue.

I'm sure the Pro Stick can be improved, but it does a pretty good job at an attractive price. Consequently there's a compromise between cost and perfection.
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Anmer View Post
    Good to know your setup's improved with the new cable.

FA has sold thousands of Pro Sticks and external antennae, all with extremely low failure rates. The Pro Stick is designed for 1090 MHz data, sold at cost by FA (there's no added margin) to encourage others to become data feeders, for whichever tracking service they prefer.

Your symptoms always suggested a local setup issue.

I'm sure the Pro Stick can be improved, but it does a pretty good job at an attractive price. Consequently there's a compromise between cost and perfection.
    Fully agree. I am using FA Antenna, ProStick, ProStick Plus, and FA Filter for about 1-1/2 years, and am very satisfied.
    All these items have very competitive prices. Value for money.

I don’t want to highjack this thread so please let me know if this should be a new post or if one of you experienced guys would start a new thread but I would like to follow on abcd567 post #29 “optimizing gain” and the very helpful instructions.

I’m using the Pro Stick with FA filter and antenna and think that the next step is to to optimize my hardware and experiment a little. But first, I need to make sure I understand the “Performance Graphs” to set the gain correctly.

I have read as much as I could and I find that a great number of people are shooting for maximum distance as high as possible to measure success. Being in the hills, line of site may be a little challenging and distance may not be the best measurement yet. (After a short assessment of hardware, I will start a propagation study based on antenna location)

I changed the gain setting from “max” to 30 at 0600 this morning and found that my max range stayed about the same but Tracks Seen dropped and my Single Level changed. ( I picked 0600 because SFO overseas flight that are in my range increase and the overall number of aircraft are larger in the day.)

Can you folks help me interpret the data and tell me how you assess your setting such as gain? Is the noise change a good or bad thing?

Thanks for helping!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockRidge View Post
    I don’t want to highjack this thread so please let me know if this should be a new post or if one of you experienced guys would start a new thread but I would like to follow on abcd567 post #29 “optimizing gain” and the very helpful instructions.
    NEW THREAD STARTED:
    Gain Optimization Script

@RockRidge:
    Main criteria in gain setting are
    (1) Message Rate (Messages/second)
    (2) Aircraft seen / tracked

As you have yourself noted, Max Range does not appreciably change with changes in Gain.