Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NooElec with small antenna ---> FA Pro Stick + FA 1090 Antenna = worse results?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
    @Strix technica:
    A hobbyist "keithma" has tested Flightaware filter using his VNA, and today has posted results here:
    http://discussions.flightaware.com/p...4.html#p209274
    I've seen plots like this before, and it kinda proves my point: the lower knee is at around 925 MHz and considering GSM900 downlink reaches up to 960 MHz, the FA BP filter is not sufficient to suppress GSM900 signals.

It is doubtless even more of a problem with North American GSM950, so I don't know why he says it has good attenuation on cell frequencies. It's not as if 2G or 3G have gone away, even if most are using 4G these days.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMac View Post
      No, it's the other way around. GSM850 in North America is further away, and also reversed duplex. GSM900 has BTSes up to 960 MHz, where the FA filter is wide open.
      I could have sworn that I'd seen references to GSM950, including in the US, but a new search gets nada so either I remember wrong or what I read was a typo.

In any event, the FA BP is no good for Europe, Australasia or anywhere that uses GSM900.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
        @Strix technica:
        A hobbyist "keithma" has tested Flightaware filter using his VNA, and today has posted results here:
        I summarized the FA filter problems back in the beginning of 2016, and posted my VNA measurements:

Last week my FlightAware bandpass filter arrived Well after having to go to the Sorting office as customs duty had to be paid. I made a big mistake, I bought on Ebay and it was shipped from the US, $24.99 + $12.00 Postage = £26.52 GBP, then add nearly £4.00 customs duty and £8.00 handling charge by the Royal Mall, totalling

/M
        F-ESDF1, F-ESGG1, F-ESGP1, F-ESNK1, F-ESNV2, F-ESNV3 F-ESSL4, F-ESNZ7, F-LFMN3
        T-ESNL1, T-ESNL2, T-ESGR15
        P-ESIA, P-ESIB, P-ESGF, P-ESSN, P-EFMA
        mrmac (a) fastest.cc

Comment

Originally posted by Strix technica View Post
          In any event, the FA BP is no good for Europe, Australasia or anywhere that uses GSM900.
          It works reasonably well if the interference is from FM or DVBT transmitters, but not against GSM900 downlink. So it varies a lot with location.

/M
          F-ESDF1, F-ESGG1, F-ESGP1, F-ESNK1, F-ESNV2, F-ESNV3 F-ESSL4, F-ESNZ7, F-LFMN3
          T-ESNL1, T-ESNL2, T-ESGR15
          P-ESIA, P-ESIB, P-ESGF, P-ESSN, P-EFMA
          mrmac (a) fastest.cc

Comment

opinion

Hi everyone,

I'm using this USB dongle for FR24 feed: https://postimg.org/image/rbo4jtsrh/
            Also I'm using the FA antenna 3m high above ground. I got around 200nm range with this setup.
            I wonder if it will be better (to increase the range) to purchase a FA Pro Stick plus and replace my USB SDR dongle or buy any LNA+bandpass attached to my actual dongle?

Any comment on this please?

Thank you and best regards!

Comment

Working...
            X