Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry pi zero wireless

Hello all

I am quite new to this and would love to know is it is possible to feed data with raspberry pi zero wireless?

I see lots of guides using Ethernet but not wireless

Would allow me to place it in a better location with better reception!
    Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I never used Raspberry Pi zero W, but have used the mini wifi dongle shown below. I have used it with my RPi B+ and RPi Model2, and it worked good with both.

I used to feed adsb data to following sites through this wifi dongle:
    1) Flightradar24
    2) Planefinder
    3) Flightaware
    4) Adsbexchange.

I did not notice any problem feeding all 4 sites through this mini wifi dongle. Based on this experience, I feel that the Pi zero w should also be ok on wifi.

Price:Canadian $2.50
    Mini 150Mbps USB WiFi 802.11n/g/b 2.4GHz
    Chipset: RTL8188CU.

Last edited by abcd567; 2017-06-14, 23:51.

Comment

I use a RasPi 3 instead of a Zero, but i use Wifi as well since my Cable Bear is too small to add another LAN Cable.
      Works great.

Comment

I'm interested in trying this as well.
        I don't see why it wouldn't work as I've had my rPi 2 running with a WiFi dongle for a couple years now.

Comment

Hi,
          I just installed flightrader24 on raspberry pi zero wireless.
          It's running perfectly - really no problems at all... (and I haven't much experience setting up Pi's...)
          Attach a monitor and keyboard via mini-hdmi+usb the first time You start it up, to be able to enter the wifi-informations.
          regards
          Jesper

Comment

Can someone explain me how to send the data via wifi? I want to plug off my cable.
            I use a raspberry pi 3 with the fr24 image.

Comment

Originally posted by MatzenOtte View Post
              Can someone explain me how to send the data via wifi? I want to plug off my cable.
              I use a raspberry pi 3 with the fr24 image.
              1) You can easily find the answer by Google search.
              2) You can also find answer by going to page https://www.raspberrypi.org/document...configuration/

Anyway, here is the method for fr24 image (PI24):

Open file wpa_supplicant.conf in nano editor
              Code:
              sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
              The file will show following text:

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
              update_config=1

Go to the bottom of the file and add the text shown in red:
              Replace YOUR_WIFI_SSID by actual ssid of your wifi, and YOUR_WIFI_PASSWORD by actual password of your wifi
              Code:
              ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
              update_config=1

[COLOR="#FF0000"]network={
                  ssid="YOUR_WIFI_SSID"
                  psk="YOUR_WIFI_PASSWORD"
              }[/COLOR]
              Save the file (Ctrl+o) and close the nano editor (Ctrl+x)

Now the final step:
              Code:
              sudo reboot
              Last edited by abcd567; 2017-08-05, 23:02.

Comment

Thanks for that good solution. Now I found it on the internet, my problem was that I didn't know the base of the FR24 image. Now I know and it works fine for me, thanks a lot. With your help I could put my receiver to the roof and now have a better performance.

Comment

Originally posted by JesperD View Post
                  Hi,
                  I just installed flightrader24 on raspberry pi zero wireless.
                  It's running perfectly - really no problems at all... (and I haven't much experience setting up Pi's...)
                  Attach a monitor and keyboard via mini-hdmi+usb the first time You start it up, to be able to enter the wifi-informations.
                  regards
                  Jesper
                  Jesper - I am very pleased to see you were able to get this running with the Pi Zero W. I was not able myself, for some reason, so I wonder if you could elaborate on the steps you took? Did you use the Pi24 image provided by Flightradar24? What size SD card were you using for this? I'm pretty much unable to get the wlan0 interface recognized full stop, even after the interfaces and wpa_supplicant.conf file edits.

Note, I am not an experienced guy on raspbian or raspberry pi

Gunnar

Comment

Hi Gunnar,
                    No I initially startet with a NOOB-image before I installed the unify-sw, and that probably made it a easier - on startup I was presented the setup menu and could choose wifi.
                    Did You update the wpa_supplicant.conf with a network={ssid="xxxxx" psk="yyyy"} ?
                    Are You able to se the wifi using "sudo iwlist wlan0 scan" ?
                    regards
                    Jesper

Comment

JesperD,

Thanks! Yeah, I did the wpa_supplicant.conf as typical, but to no avail. In the end, I just started with a clean Raspbian Stretch Lite and installed fr24 from there. Then all was working fine, with exactly the same /etc/network/interfaces and wpa_supplicant.conf content. Ah well, you live, you learn!

Gunnar

Comment

Hi,

I started my Raspberry Pi Wireless, tried to do step-by-step instructions described by abcd567, but with no success.

Has somebody tried to setup Wi-Fi using automated wizard, like raspi-config - oraz is there any othe way to configure it for "linux dummy" like me?

Comment

Definitive guide to setting up Raspberry Pi Zero Wireless

I'm using pi 0 wireless v1.3 and I've just done it successfully (after trying for the tenth time in 3 months).

My main problems were
                          1) Wifi
                          2) Choice of operating system
                          2) Lack of usb hub
                          I tried to setup pi24 without my DVB-T dongle because the board has only 1 USB port which I used for my wireless dongle for keyboard & mouse. It seems to me you can't complete your setup that way.

-----------------------------------------
                          And so, hardware I recommend having:
                          mini hdmi - hdmi cable
                          pi 0 w board
                          2amp USB power supply + micro usb cable
                          micro SD card
                          OTG Adapter Mini USB Male to USB Female (from ebay) - to connect your usb receiver to the microusb port
                          DVB-T2 receiver + usb extension cable - to put my receiver further out. It's easier to find usb extension cable than to find a longer antenna.
                          USB hub (non-powered) - I lucked out on this, it worked.

Steps:
                          Download pi24. Install using etcher.
                          Setup your board with dvb-t receiver and at least a keyboard attached. Have it video out to your HDMI screen. It will show you a giant FR24 splashscreen initially. Just wait till it's done.
                          You should toggle between ctrl+alt+F1 or F2 as the screen suggests to get into terminal ('linux console') and back to the 'FR24 display'.

First challenge: wifi
                          wpa_supplicant.conf does NOT work for me for raspbian lite or pi24 image.

The command to use should be:
                          sudo raspi-config
                          *username is pi, password is raspberry.
                          You will then be greeted with a blue GUI screen much like PC BIOS that you navigate using arrow keys. You should see network setup there and bam wifi is done.

So now at the terminal screen try to ping google

If your wifi connection works you should have a good reading i.e. ping, response in ___ ms etc.
                          press ctrl + c to stop the ping. Now you know you've got internet.

Second challenge: Getting your pi set up for FR24
                          As the screen suggests, go (onto the link they suggested) on any device on the same wifi network and you're supposed to be able to see your new pi24.
                          Didn't work for me.

I had to use this:
                          sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - CENSORED /install_fr24_rpi.sh)"
                          (Just click 'If your receiver is not in the list above please follow the instructions here.' on FR24 web page and you can get the command above)
                          (had to self censor due to insufficient posts to post link. Maybe I will come back next time to update)

From there, I simply had to follow on-screen instructions, email, lat/long etc. Please read the instructions carefully. It will prompt you to enter a command to restart your pi24.
                          (At this point you can press ctrl+alt+F2 and you will see the FR24 page on your screeen that you're connected.

When you're totally done, you can log onto FR24 and see that your radar is up. You may even have a few hits.

I was paranoid about the data getting corrupted. And so I used this for a proper shutdown.
                          sudo shutdown –h

When you're done you can remove the hub and just plug in your DVB-t2 receiver. Once you've powered it up you can check it on FR24 to see if it's online and if it works.

Cheers.

History of my trials:

1) Initially I used etcher + pi24. How was I supposed to do get wifi up and running? After flashing the images so many times with 'supplicant.conf', 'network/interfaces' and stuff which all didn't work..
                          2) So I thought I need a 'proper OS'. I installed raspbian lite and to my horror it was really 'lite'. LOL. Again, I had no idea how to run terminal (back then).
                          3) Then I installed raspbian full. Great. GUI. I could click and connect my wifi, install the FR24 but I realised I had to create a script for FR24 to run WITHIN the raspbian OS. Didn't want to try figuring that out so I thought pi24 must be the way to go.
                          4) So yes, pi24 is the easiest and fast way. You only need a hub, a keyboard, pi24 and the knowledge of 2 commands (above).

Comment

Working...
                          X