No announcement yet.

How to Feed Data to Multiple Sites - A Brief Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Flightaware feeder and I want to feed to FR24.
    I installed the latest FR24 image on a new Raspberry 3B sitting right next to the Flightaware feeder but get an error that the receiver is down.
    What can I do to rectify that?
    Edit: In the image below MLAT is still YES, I changed it after I made the screenshot.

Settings:
    FR24 settings.jpg
    Last edited by Antonf; 2022-06-10, 10:56.

Comment

Assuming that 192.168.0.12 is IP address of Flightaware feeder,

Host/IP 127.0.0.1:30005

Should be changed to

Host/IP 192.168.0.12:30005

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
        Assuming that 192.168.0.12 is IP address of Flightaware feeder,

Host/IP 127.0.0.1:30005

Should be changed to

Host/IP 192.168.0.12:30005
        OMW, what a very basic mistake to make!
        Thanks a lot abcd567!

Comment

trying to install flightaware on my FR24 image but when i try to install piAware i get this any idea on a fix?

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
          piaware : Depends: libboost-program-options1.74.0 (>= 1.74.0) but it is not installable
          Depends: libboost-regex1.74.0-icu67 but it is not installable
          Depends: libc6 (>= 2.29) but 2.28-10+rpt2+rpi1 is to be installed
          Depends: libffi7 (>= 3.3~20180313) but it is not installable
          Depends: libgcc-s1 (>= 3.5) but it is not installable
          Depends: libmpdec3 but it is not installable
          Depends: libreadline8 (>= 7.0~beta) but it is not installable
          Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 9) but 8.3.0-6+rpi1 is to be installed
          E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Comment

Thats to do with your pi/version of OS. Not really the installer
            there is a command after
            : Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

It suggests running. Start there.
            But depending on space/when you installed it. The version may not be supported which will need
            Apt-get update
            and possibly
            apt-get dist- upgrade
            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

It seems you have older version of OS(Stretch or Buster), and trying to install a piaware version for Bullseye. To know your OS version, please issue following command and post it's outputs.

lsb_release -a

NOTE
              The piaware packages are available for both the Bullseye and Buster, but their installation commands are different

Last edited by abcd567; 2022-07-06, 14:22.

Comment

It seems you have older version of OS(Stretch or Buster), and trying to install a piaware version for Bullseye. To know your OS version, please issue following command and post it's outputs.

lsb_release -a

No LSB modules are available.
                Distributor ID: Raspbian
                Description: Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
                Release: 10
                Codename: buster

it was the pre made FR image i used years ago. i tried to update/ upgrade but it only updates the FR and Piaware programs not the pi. Is the premade FR image locked or something?

im using a pi 4

Comment

OK you have Buster, so don't try to uograde it to Bullseye as as it is a very time consuming and big upgrade. Instead install piaware package for Buster.

(1) First remove what you have tried to install

Code:

sudo apt --fix-broken install 

sudo dpkg --purge piaware-repository 

sudo apt update
                  (2) Next install oiaware for Buster

Code:

wget https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/pool/piaware/p/piaware-support/piaware-repository_7.2~bpo10+1_all.deb

sudo dpkg -i piaware-repository_7.2~bpo10+1_all.deb 

sudo apt update  

sudo apt install piaware

Comment

OK you have Buster, so don't try to uograde it to Bullseye as as it is a very time consuming and big upgrade. Instead install piaware package for Buster.

Code:

sudo apt update

Code:
                    wget https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/pool/piaware/p/piaware-support/piaware-repository_7.2~bpo10+1_all.deb

sudo apt update

sudo apt install piaware
                    Thank you That worked

Comment

Code:

sudo apt update

Code:

sudo apt update

sudo apt install piaware
                      And i keep MLAT turned off on both programs?

Comment

Originally posted by nick223 View Post

And i keep MLAT turned off on both programs?
                        Turning off mlat is requirement of FR24, so keep it off in fr24feed configuration. (/etc/fr24feed.ini)

Since to turn off MLAT in Piaware settings is NOT flightaware's requirement, dont do any changes in piaware default config, so the FA mlat will remain on.

Comment

I was given a RaspberryPi and decided to try to use it for flight tracking, so bought a RTL-SDR dongle and 1090 antenna.
                          [Note - I'm completely new to RPi and Linux (mostly), so the answer to my question(s) below might be staring me in the face, but I'm just not seeing/understanding it. Apologies in advance.]

I installed PiAware, and that seems to be working fine - I'm getting dozens of planes out to about 100nm and the feed is getting to flightaware.com/skyaware

My next step was to implement FR24 - and I started at the top of this thread (Option D), so I downloaded the .deb file from the FR24 "share-your-data" page and ran dpkg
                          The message I got back puzzled me:
                          Unpacking fr24feed (1.0.29-10) ...
                          Setting up fr24feed (1.0.29-10) ...
                          You don't seem to have any dump1090 installed. On the fr24feed start it will automatically install dump1090-mutability.
                          Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/fr24feed.service → /etc/systemd/system/fr24feed.service.

I would have thought I had some version of dump1090 running (to get data to FlightAware). Additionally I followed another link to the "How to Install dump1090-mutability on RPi"post (also by abcd567) and it says right off the bat:
                          "NOTE:
                          (1) Do NOT install the dump1090-mutability on Pi24 img and Piaware img. Both these images already have their integral dump1090.
                          "

Which I think confirms my thought that the PiAware install should be running 1090dump in some form.
                          I restarted the Pi - hoping the fr24feed service would start up and "do whatever" - install dump1090-mutability (?); however nothing seemed to change. I checked the running services - piaware was running, but there was no sign of fr24feed. (nor of any service with 1090 in its name - should there be?)

I tried a manual start of the service: sudo service fr24feed restart

but again, nothing happened. There is a file at /etc/systemd/system/fr24feed.service - and there's data in it, but I don't know the syntax well enough to understand what it's trying to do.

I also tried to connect to 192.168.1.26:8754/settings.html (per a screen grab earlier in this thread that was talking about setting up the parameters for the feed) - but I get an "Unable to connect" message from my browser. (192.168.1.26 is the Pi)

At this point my near-complete lack of understanding Linux has kicked in. It seems like there needs to be some service running (fr24feed?) that will send data to FR24 - akin to the piaware service I assume is sending data to FA, but I have no clue how to get it started and how to proceed. I hope that once it gets running I will be able to access it via the port :8754 link (although that's a guess - I didn't see that spelled out anywhere - just in the address bar in the screen grab). Is that the right procedure at that point?

FWIW, I did turn off MLAT (in fr24feed.ini) in anticipation of this working - but I feel confident that has no impact on anything else going on here.

If anyone on here has some thoughts on how to get this working, I'd love to hear them. I may yet try coming at it from the other direction - start with a blank SD and install FR24 first and then try to add Piaware, but I fear that I'm doing something fundamentally wrong here that will torpedo that approach as well.

Thanks in advance.

[Update] I ran a "netstat" and see dump1090-fa has data out on :30002 thru :30005 and :30104 fa-mlat-client out on :30105 and :30106
                          is the problem that FR24 needs some other dump1090 process running?
                          Last edited by SD_Mark; 2022-07-21, 22:38.

Comment

@ SD_Mark

(1) Run following command

sudo fr24feed --signup

You will be asked to entered your email, latitude, longitude, elevation etc.

(2) After the signup is completed, run following command

sudo systemctl restart fr24feed

(3) Wait for 5 minutes, then do following 2 things

​​​​​​(a) Give following command:
                            sudo fr24feed-status

(b) In a web browser, go to following page and see status
                            IP-of-Pi:8754

Last edited by abcd567; 2022-07-22, 03:08.

Comment

Success (so it seems)! Many thanks for the key step in starting fr24feed - it appears I am feeding data now. At IP-of-pi:8754 I can see a list of the planes tracked, but no graphical representation. At FR24.com I can filter on my radar feed name and see just "my" planes - which appears to match what FA is seeing (so I think it's all OK).
                              I presume at some point now FR24 realizes my account is sending in data (since I gave my email address in the setup here, and that's in my FR24 account), or do I need to go "claim" my signal in order to get an account upgrade?

Again, thanks a lot!
                              --Mark

Comment

Do NOT claim, as it will create a mess because you already have a fr24key and station number, which you have obtained by running command "sudo fr24feed --signup"

You can see your
                                (1) Station ID on ip-of-pi:8754/

(2) fr24key on ip-of-pi:8754/settings.html
                                Last edited by abcd567; 2022-07-22, 20:25.

Comment

Working...
                                X