Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you're feeding FR24 DONT touch this button!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(an opt-in option for feed offline (or no data for x days) alerting may be a nice addition...)
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

It's being worked on actively. Just a few hurdles in the middle before implementation
      --

Comment

Originally posted by Khan View Post
        This was done because support gets alot requests for coordinates change. It seems like changing of alias bothers people so we will disable that part. Do note that everything is connected to Sharing Key so even if your alias changes, it doesn't affect your stats. In the next release, alias will not change by updating your coordinates.
        Khan,

I'm not sure if you've understood the point of my post. It's not that it just changes your alias, although some guys get to like their alias which gives them a sense of identity and as Oblivian goes on to say in this thread, allows for some sense of where you sit with other feeders in your locality and within FR24. It's more that one has no idea that simply altering their coordinates, even by a minimal amount, may change their alias and leave them oblivious to what's going on. I wasn't aware of what I'd done until I'd contacted support then had time to consider what was going on while I awaited a response.

You state that it has no effect on the stats page but we don't know that. There's nothing to indicate to us what the outcome of clicking on that icon and altering coordinates is going to be. It's not even labelled. There is nothing on that stats page or anywhere else as I stated originally to indicate what it even is.

I'd even go as far as saying that very few uploaders would've even been aware it was an option. This has been a bugbear of mine for numerous years when moderating the chat (or attempting to) in that very few if any of us were aware of changes or even what was in the previous version let alone how to offer advice or help to members. I don't moderate the chat these days as that is one thing that hasn't changed.

Is it at all possible to let people know what's going on with new updates or releases so we can help take some of the pressure off support? Particularly the moderators who are forced to fend off these enquiries simply because they aren't told answers to the most basic of questions.

This whole thread is indicative of the fact that there are so many unkowns within FR24 and look at the consequence.

Regards,
        Gregg
        Last edited by fungus; 2017-06-08, 10:08.
        YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Gregg,

Thank you for explaining it for my understanding.

The system checks the new coordinates and compares them to the nearest airport and if it finds the same airport, nothing changes but if it's another one, only then coordinates are updated. As you know the db is updated continuously and that's why these changes occur.

As Oblivion mentioned that a lot of guys use their alias for identification, it's not good to have it changed. The reason why I think it's good to disable alias change at least for now is Oblivion's reason plus most people like you are adjusting them very slightly and that shouldn't change their aliases. In case somebody moves to a completely different location which does require a change in alias, they could write to us for that. Of course, this is a short term fix and can be improved upon later if a good idea comes along.

And I accept the blame for not informing the forum about this because my initial idea was to roll all this out with stat page upgrades but because of the huge number of requests for coordinates change, I decided to just go with it in the previous release.

I am not sure if you are aware of it or not but we are working on adding more stats to Individual stats page. I will of course upload a sample screenshot but I don't want to do it now as one of the devs who is working on it is away.
          --

Comment

It's been talked about before long time ago and maybe need to think about it again.

Release Notes/Minor changes notes and possiblely other columns(What Changed) page somewhere on FR24 website would be great to start with. It doesn't have to be daily it could be weekly or monthly.
            Like other said above. Give advance notice if it could affect other changes on user side (change of user radar code,etc)

FR24 already does it on the app page for iOS and Google Play ,etc.
            Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
            [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBrian View Post
              It's been talked about before long time ago and maybe need to think about it again.

Release Notes/Minor changes notes and possiblely other columns(What Changed) page somewhere on FR24 website would be great to start with. It doesn't have to be daily it could be weekly or monthly.
              Like other said above. Give advance notice if it could affect other changes on user side (change of user radar code,etc)

FR24 already does it on the app page for iOS and Google Play ,etc.
              I do remember seeing those requests numerous times in the deep dark past Brian.

We truly have been beating our heads against a brick wall for a very long time. One only has to look at the Windows Feeder software (http://feed.flightradar24.com/#windows) and the first thing to notice is the instructions are about to have their third anniversary they are so far out of date. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to answering the questions posed by the dialogue box when setting up my feeder software and need a little step by step help but for a while now it's been very much trial and error, leading to frustration if it doesn't work first time around and wondering why we aren't given some sort of relevant assistance when simply wishing to set up a feed or keeping an existing one updated. Goodness knows how new guys to the hobby find their way through the maze. I can't get the current version to work at all and am not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if the software has a fatal flaw. We aren't all geniuses but sadly it seems FR24 think we are.

Oblivian has done a great job in helping in this regard with the very good threads and posts on the various units and 'how to' guides. In my book it shouldn't be necessary and again simply highlights a failure from FR24. Sadly I'm very much a plug and play guy with this stuff and don't know enough to help him even set up the guide for Basestation, as much as I'd like to be able to do so and having had the thing since 2008.

If some one from Admin not only reads this and other posts but can act on them, FR24 will benefit and the guys moderating as well as support might get a well deserved break. I'd also like to give my brain and keyboard a rest from all this as it gives me no pleasure at all to have to do it. At the risk of repeating myself, much of this angst for FR24 is self inflicted and we're the ones left trying to make it all work like the well oiled machine FR24 could be.

Regards,
              Gregg
              Last edited by fungus; 2017-06-09, 01:15.
              YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Gregg,

Thank you for explaining it for my understanding.

The system checks the new coordinates and compares them to the nearest airport and if it finds the same airport, nothing changes but if it's another one, only then coordinates are updated. As you know the db is updated continuously and that's why these changes occur.

As Oblivion mentioned that a lot of guys use their alias for identification, it's not good to have it changed. The reason why I think it's good to disable alias change at least for now is Oblivion's reason plus most people like you are adjusting them very slightly and that shouldn't change their aliases. In case somebody moves to a completely different location which does require a change in alias, they could write to us for that. Of course, this is a short term fix and can be improved upon later if a good idea comes along.

And I accept the blame for not informing the forum about this because my initial idea was to roll all this out with stat page upgrades but because of the huge number of requests for coordinates change, I decided to just go with it in the previous release.

I am not sure if you are aware of it or not but we are working on adding more stats to Individual stats page. I will of course upload a sample screenshot but I don't want to do it now as one of the devs who is working on it is away.
                Khan,

Thanks for your response which I think may have been posted whilst I was editing mine. I am not aware of a couple of the points you've noted and I'd hazard a guess that others aren't either. That indeed is one of my concerns. It isn't just the forum that needs to understand what is occurring. There's not much point in making changes/additions etc in the backroom (or the front office depending on your perspective) if it leaves the guys at the 'coalface' in the dark. I'm happy for you to use my email for correspondence as I think this sort of discussion should take place there rather than airing all our 'dirty linen' so to speak on the open forum. I've never enjoyed this type of discussion taking place on here.

Then this thread can be 'cleaned up' a bit.

Regards,
                Gregg
                Last edited by fungus; 2017-06-09, 01:43.

Comment

Yeah let's take this discussion private.
                  --

Comment

Not wishing to enter into the doco discussion but would like to point out a possible issue with Khan's logic about when the alias is changed.
                    It's not clear if " ... only coordinates are updated" means you get a new alias if there is a different "nearest" airport.
                    Please remember that there are many registered "airports" throughout the world that are low volume and should not necessarily be checked in this test (eg helicopter ports at hospitals, etc).
                    One of these is nearer to my location now but wasn't in the list when I originally started feeding. I wonder if I would still get my alias updated?

Maybe we should stick to the rule that if you want to keep your alias, you should not fool with that magic button after all.
                    Thanks for the warning fungus.
                    Last edited by Kemistry; 2017-06-10, 00:39.

Comment

Jeez Kemistry don't you even think about touching that button - Brisbane wouldn't be the same without T-YBBN1 on the screen!. Keep up the good work.

Comment

DON'T PUSH THIS BUTTON!

Comment

Well, at the risk of being labelled an absolute pelican, I have a confession to make which you won't believe possible- I touched the button again and now have the alias T-YSBK50 back again!

The good news is I can now give you the most useless piece of information you never needed to know, there are currently 49 Bankstown feeders on FR24! (50 if you want to include this goose)

After all the warnings and those two Baby Groot vids (no, I don't want to see them again thanks guys) I have done it again. In my defence I'll say this much- I didn't change my coordinates or move the little balloon in any way shape or form so thought I was safe but because I couldn't close the dialogue box in the Chrome browser I clicked 'save' in order to p*** it off. This as part of something I was doing this afternoon for a friend whilst diligently going through all my previous posts is all I'm prepared to say.

Once again I'll repeat, just leave it alone altogether, it's not worth the angst. Certainly if you don't want an alias change leave the 'save' function well alone.

Now I have to go, with my tail between my legs, off to support first thing Monday and ask for it to be changed again. It would surprise me none if I were asked politely to go take a long walk off a short pier.

Regards,
                          Gregg (the galah)
                          Last edited by fungus; 2017-06-11, 00:54.

Comment

Gregg, I log feeders that I spot. If you've got it up, I'll keep an eye out for Bankstown 51 and file it with all the other "oncers". Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by airnrail View Post
                              Gregg, I log feeders that I spot. If you've got it up, I'll keep an eye out for Bankstown 51 and file it with all the other "oncers". Cheers.
                              Thanks John, I'm currently feeding as T-YSBK50 at the moment and this will be the case until support can once again rollback my alias. Only goes to prove you don't need to be an idiot to fall for this trap but it sure helps!

Regards,
                              Gregg

Comment

Howdy all,

newbie here but been feeding for a while as T-YBBN90 as well as my local site for seqld.

Kemistry, love what you feed. We have been trying to secure a good ground location with not much luck

Comment

Working...
                                X