Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which antenna have more coverage?

Flight attendant Strix technica's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by abcd567 View Post
    DIPOLE PATTERN vs LENGTH
    Also Applicable to Monopoles with Ground Plane, Length 1/2 of Length for Dipole
    It should be noted that anything larger than 1/4w or 1/2w has funky impedance characteristics and will require a matching network. Without it, you'll lose any benefit you might get from increased power collection ability, if not actually do much worse than a plain 1/4w or 1/2w.

Colinears are (or so I understand) a different story because they're made up of 1/2w elements put end-to-end in opposing phase. Though I don't think I've ever seen anyone put a colinear on a VNA to test that, commercially made colinears don't seem to bother with matching networks so I guess their impedance is comparable with that of coax.

Some one (TomMuc) has tested 5 different antennas, and has posted his conclusion here:

http://discussions.flightaware.com/p...2.html#p209072

Quote Originally Posted by abcd567 View Post
    Some one (TomMuc) has tested 5 different antennas, and has posted his conclusion here:
    He says he's tested " five prfessional (sic) made ads-b antennas" of which one is "the best". No description of his tests or which antennae he used, except the one.
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Flight attendant
    Its my experience that you will most likely fail in attempt to make an antenna for this freq - unless you have an antenna analyser. Most of my own attempts failed. I have just purchased this analyser
    https://www.amazon.com/N1201SA-Vecto.../dp/B06VVVCKN8

Below are a few results so far

http://www.users.on.net/~silver.eagle/ADSB.htm

Mike

Flight attendant Strix technica's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YWYY View Post
    Its my experience that you will most likely fail in attempt to make an antenna for this freq - unless you have an antenna analyser. Most of my own attempts failed. I have just purchased this analyser
    Good job, and I'm surprised to see a VNA so cheap, considering. Still not cost effective unless you plan on making a lot of antennae but having fun is not always cost effective

I'd also note that the VNA's measurements are going to be thrown off somewhat by impedance mismatches. The VNA will have a 50Ω input where your SDR has a 75Ω input. The difference will not be significant, but it's worth remembering that when you get a perfect VSWR of 1.0 at 50Ω, you may get a warm fuzzy feeling but actual performance will not be exactly as measured.

Either I just got lucky with my 8-segment colinear design/build or building your own is not as hard as you suggest provided one is exacting with segment dimensions. FR24 reports my 30-day-average max range at 160 nm in public (ie filtered) stats, and my private FR24 dash routinely reports 200–250nm, occasionally 350 nm. My own records report a 30-day max range of 290 nm. (Why the discrepancy between FR24 dash and my own data? Good question. I sometimes wonder about the reliability of FR24's filtering and processing of range data. I can understand mine > fr24, but I don't see how fr24 reports > dump1090, unless dump1090's max range processing is also weird.)

Considering that the antenna is mounted inside the loft of a mid-terrace brick house with slate tile roof, that's not bad going for a first attempt.

As I've noted before, it's easy to obsess over antenna design, but the differences between any two antennae, and especially the differences one can achieve tweaking home-built antennae, are probably dwarfed by the differences achieved by height and clearance of local obstructions, remembering the vast majority of a/c are essentially on the horizon. At FL400, for example, an a/c 350 nm away (line-of-sight) only makes about 0.5° to the horizon after you allow for the curvature of earth (1° if you don't). That means that diffraction and neighbours' rooftops are going to be highly significant in practice.
    Last edited by Strix technica; 2017-08-23 at 12:04. Reason: add 50Ω/75Ω caveat