Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which antenna have more coverage?

Flight attendant Strix technica's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by abcd567 View Post
    DIPOLE PATTERN vs LENGTH
    Also Applicable to Monopoles with Ground Plane, Length 1/2 of Length for Dipole
    It should be noted that anything larger than 1/4w or 1/2w has funky impedance characteristics and will require a matching network. Without it, you'll lose any benefit you might get from increased power collection ability, if not actually do much worse than a plain 1/4w or 1/2w.

Colinears are (or so I understand) a different story because they're made up of 1/2w elements put end-to-end in opposing phase. Though I don't think I've ever seen anyone put a colinear on a VNA to test that, commercially made colinears don't seem to bother with matching networks so I guess their impedance is comparable with that of coax.

Some one (TomMuc) has tested 5 different antennas, and has posted his conclusion here:

http://discussions.flightaware.com/p...2.html#p209072

Quote Originally Posted by abcd567 View Post
    Some one (TomMuc) has tested 5 different antennas, and has posted his conclusion here:
    He says he's tested " five prfessional (sic) made ads-b antennas" of which one is "the best". No description of his tests or which antennae he used, except the one.
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005