disc image decreases sd card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disc image decreases sd card

Hi, I have just got my Pi3. I have a 16gb sd card that I formatted and then put the image file onto it from the download. I then put the card into my pi3 and loaded the fr24 software via the sudo command in the instruction. I managed to get everything installed and set up however I couldn't get the unit online. After trying a few things, another forum suggested looking at sd card space. To my shock, my 16gb sd card had shrunk to approx 1gb This was the image size.

I have now reformatted and installed the Noobs. I can't connect via my laptop any more. I am unable to plug a monitor into the pi3 so need to access via putty but now keep getting connection refused.

Any help for this newbie will be greatly appreciated.

Check this out regarding SD card "size":

How To: Format Your SD Card Back to the Original Size (WINDOWS): After writing any image with an OS for your raspberry pi, you may have notice that no matter the size of your SD card, windows can only recognize one partition with about 60 mb. If you try to format it in the Computer menu (righ-click on it and pres…
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Make sure its not a cheap fake too

Have been known to misreport actual size and die if you use them like they should be used instead
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

It's perfectly normal, the image is only as big as it needs to be + some margin. Otherwise it wouldn't fit on a 4GB card, for example.

Your connection issues has nothing to do with this. Are you using Wifi or cable?

/M
        F-ESDF1, F-ESGG1, F-ESGP1, F-ESNK1, F-ESNV2, F-ESNV3 F-ESSL4, F-ESNZ7, F-LFMN3
        T-ESNL1, T-ESNL2, T-ESGR15
        P-ESIA, P-ESIB, P-ESGF, P-ESSN, P-EFMA
        mrmac (a) fastest.cc

Comment

Originally posted by MrMac View Post
          It's perfectly normal, the image is only as big as it needs to be + some margin. Otherwise it wouldn't fit on a 4GB card, for example.

Your connection issues has nothing to do with this. Are you using Wifi or cable?

/M
          I am using wifi through a netgear router. Before I put Noobs on I could access the Pi via Putty.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterWelly View Post
            I am using wifi through a netgear router.
            Wifi on the Rpi is notoriously unstable in some combinations. Use an ETH cable while testing, you will se if this is a Wifi issue or not.

Some distributions ha started to have ssh disabled as default. Bloody annoying if you forget to enable it.

/M
            F-ESDF1, F-ESGG1, F-ESGP1, F-ESNK1, F-ESNV2, F-ESNV3 F-ESSL4, F-ESNZ7, F-LFMN3
            T-ESNL1, T-ESNL2, T-ESGR15
            P-ESIA, P-ESIB, P-ESGF, P-ESSN, P-EFMA
            mrmac (a) fastest.cc

Comment

Originally posted by MrMac View Post
              Wifi on the Rpi is notoriously unstable in some combinations. Use an ETH cable while testing, you will se if this is a Wifi issue or not.

Some distributions ha started to have ssh disabled as default. Bloody annoying if you forget to enable it.

/M
              I am just very confused. When I did the image from FR24, it worked ok, however it changed teh SD card from 8GB to 1GB. I am happy to do that again, however i then lose the storage capaicty. What if I partition the sd card? will that allow the RP24 image to go on 1 partition and then use the other for data? Very new to the Raspberry Pi and unsure what it can and can't do.

Comment

I am just very confused. When I did the image from FR24, it worked ok, however it changed teh SD card from 16GB to 1GB. I am happy to do that again, however i then lose the storage capaicty. What if I partition the sd card? will that allow the RP24 image to go on 1 partition and then use the other for data? Very new to the Raspberry Pi and unsure what it can and can't do.
                Sorry it was a 16gb card.

Comment

I am just very confused. When I did the image from FR24, it worked ok, however it changed teh SD card from 8GB to 1GB. I am happy to do that again, however i then lose the storage capaicty.
                  https://www.raspberrypi.org/document...aspi-config.md
                  Use Expand Filesystem.

Comment

I am just very confused. When I did the image from FR24, it worked ok, however it changed teh SD card from 8GB to 1GB. I am happy to do that again, however i then lose the storage capaicty. What if I partition the sd card? will that allow the RP24 image to go on 1 partition and then use the other for data? Very new to the Raspberry Pi and unsure what it can and can't do.
                    You can expand filesystem:

sudo raspi-config

and then select: 1 Expand Filesystem (this will Ensures that all of the SD card storage is available to the OS)
                    T-EKCH5: Raspberry Pi 4-B (Buster) + FlightAware Pro Stick Plus + FlightAware 1090MHz Bandpass Filter Dark Blue + A3-ADS-B Antenna

Comment

I think some clarification is needed. At one point it appears you are referring to the image size taken up on the card

But also the size of the card reporting.

If the total space listed is 1gb remaining. (15 used) The logs may have filled it.

If occupation is only 1gb (15 free) then the image ay* be ok. As it is slim. Or corrupted

If it reports as 1gb total space. Then it may be faulty or a fake. Or corrupted format table

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
                      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Maybe we should ask "What's the problem?"

Does the install work, albeit reporting a total card size less than its spec?

If the question is "where has all the space gone", I think others have answered.

To check the card spec, reformat it using the link I provided earlier. If the reformat size is 16GB, reinstall the image and start feeding FR24.
                        Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Working...
                        X