No announcement yet.

Excessive DNS queries for NTP pool addresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should really explain your setup in detail.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
      You should really explain your setup in detail.
      Going by the numerous old and no longer relevant threads posted in, finally SSH to a unit and noticed the mlat and ntp logging messages that have evolved between versions. And now freaking out.
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Khan View Post
        An update here.

On neither of our test platforms there is anything close to being significant request rate. Hence most probably it is some custom user installations causing these problems. E.g. hacking #etc#hosts, disabling local DNS cache, etc. Therefore, this will not affect many people to be fair, so for the time being we are not going to make any changes here.
        Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but I would appreciate if you would explain what is best practice for ntp with fr24feed. I will explain what I mean below.

I'm running fr24feed on Ubuntu 22.04 on Windows Subsystem for Linux, along with dump1090-fa, graphs1090 and piaware. I originally started running only dump1090-mutability and fr24feed. I noticed it was stopping uploading in the late evening and staying "online - no data" for 12-14 hours before resuming updating. I replaced dump1090-fa to see if that would make a difference, which it didn't. I then installed graphs1090, so I could see what dump1090-fa was doing, which confirmed it was working properly. I then installed piaware and it has been running steadily with MLAT without any dropouts for over 7 days.

At this point, I was wondering why only fr24feed wasn't working properly. I noticed in the log that the time was behaving strangely. [I can't post the log because this stone age forum won't allow it.] Every 10 minutes or so fr24feed was detecting that the time jumped backward by around 35 seconds, so it resynchronized the time. I found this was being caused by timesyncd not being enabled with ntp so the system clock was using the real-time clock, thus it was drifting. I enabled timesyncd to use ntp and pointed it at my pfsense router which is an ntp server. That stopped the time from drifting, but now fr24feed and timesyncd were fighting over setting the time. The time difference isn't 35 seconds of drift every 10 minutes, but rather according to fr24feed, the time is now jumping backward and forward around 3 seconds every 30 seconds. Reading this thread and other threads, I understand that fr24feed has a highly frowned upop ntp implementation, involving going directly to the global ntp pool.

Using strings, I can see that fr24feed still contains {:d}#pool#ntp#org, so apparently this many years later, it still hasn't been fixed. (Do your developers have no shame?!?)

I have an ntp server and I would like to use it solely to synchronize time for the entire system, because fr24feed doesn't have a proper implementation to correctly set the time. If it's not clear, by asking what is the best practice for ntp with fr24feed, I'm asking specifically how to set up my system to use my working ntp server, not the broken fr24feed implementation. I'm sure that others would appreciate if you would clarify this.

I noticed in elsewhere in this thread that there is a flag called ntp-server. I can see the flag in the fr24feed binary using strings, but does it work? If so, what is the mechanism? Is it also necessary to redirect {:d}#pool#ntp#org to my ntp server?

Looking forward to your reply.​

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerdriver View Post

[I can't post the log because this stone age forum won't allow it.]

rofl.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X