Will this Antenna increase coverage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this Antenna increase coverage?

Hi I am currently using the antenna that come with the dvb-t usb. amazon.co.uk/Digital-DVB-T-RTL2832U-FC0013B-Receiver/dp/B00NOP0P6W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493746598&sr=8-1&keywords=dvb+usb
    I am thinking to buy this antenna amazon.co.uk/1090MHz-Frequency-Antenna-OMNI-Directional-Wireless/dp/B01GE6RTRK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1493746095&sr=8-4&keywords=1090mhz+antenna , will this increase any coverage?

What are you using your DVB-T for? If it's to receive Mode-S messages on 1090 MHz, you need a suitable antenna. The one in your link claims to be suitable but I'm not so sure. See the review:

"Very poor performance. Completely unturned to 1090MHz, sections are far bigger than 1/4 wavelength. Picked up almost zero aircraft compared to over 20 from the standard supplied antenna.".

Depending on your location and circumstances, think about an external 1090 MHz antenna from a reputable supplier. Place it as high as possible, free of any obstacles that can block aircraft messages and use suitable coax cable and connectors.
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Originally posted by edmundhei View Post
      Hi I am currently using the antenna that come with the dvb-t usb. amazon.co.uk/Digital-DVB-T-RTL2832U-FC0013B-Receiver/dp/B00NOP0P6W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493746598&sr=8-1&keywords=dvb+usb
      I am thinking to buy this antenna amazon.co.uk/1090MHz-Frequency-Antenna-OMNI-Directional-Wireless/dp/B01GE6RTRK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1493746095&sr=8-4&keywords=1090mhz+antenna , will this increase any coverage?
      Definitely not...
      I have just looked at the listing and the seller doesn't have a clue about what they are selling, they claim an IMPEDANCE of 50v ??? And a 9dbi gain (not even close to possible with an antenna this size, to get that gain you are looking at a full size antennae, 4-5 feet long!)
      Short answer, don't waste your money,
      Longer answer, I can sell you a length of string for the same price that will work almost as well and can be used for forecasting the weather...
      FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

I see a massive issue with that TV stick from the get go without clicking the link.

FC0013B

Fitipower FC0013, 22 - 1100 MHz (FC0013B/C, FC0013G has a separate L-band input, which is unconnected on most sticks).

Those are known to have bad reception on 1090 as it is too close to the chipset limit.
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

You dont have to put all this long url for amazon item.

Just "https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/", followed by item number, like this:

DVB-T:

Antenna:

Comment

All these cheap antennas claim high gains of 6 and 9 dB , but are low gain, and actually for WiFi frequencies, not for 1090 Mhz. I purchased one whip antenna claiming 6 dB gain at 1090 Mhz, but it proved worst than the stock antenna supplied with the dvb-t dongle. See this thread:

Trial Run Results for Three Types of Whip Antennas.

Comment

Originally posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
              Definitely not...
              I have just looked at the listing and the seller doesn't have a clue about what they are selling, they claim an IMPEDANCE of 50v ??? And a 9dbi gain (not even close to possible with an antenna this size, to get that gain you are looking at a full size antennae, 4-5 feet long!)
              Short answer, don't waste your money,
              Longer answer, I can sell you a length of string for the same price that will work almost as well and can be used for forecasting the weather...

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Lucky I ask here before I buy. Otherwise it will be a waste of money. Shall I build one my self? I am very new to antenna so I have no idea how to do it. I google it up but have no idea what the guide is saying.
              Last edited by edmundhei; 2017-05-03, 07:18.

Comment

Did you notice my mention? It's not just the antenna.. That stick is no good.
                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                  Did you notice my mention? It's not just the antenna.. That stick is no good.
                  What stick do you suggest? I can get a maxium distance of 72nm with this stick. Thanks

Comment

What stick do you suggest? I can get a maxium distance of 72nm with this stick. Thanks
                    Anything with a 820T/820T2 tuner. The fitpower ones are pretty... ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                      Anything with a 820T/820T2 tuner. The fitpower ones are pretty... ugh.
                      Will I get better coverage with 820T tuner and do I need a new antenna?

Comment

Will I get better coverage with 820T tuner?
                        Most likely yes.

... do I need a new antenna?
                        First try the stock antenna which is supplied with DVB-T Stick:
                        Optimize the Whip Antenna Which Is Supplied With DVB-T Dongle

Next make a DIY Antenna:
                        3 EASY ANTENNAS FOR BEGINNERS

Comment

Working...
                        X