Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One receiver two antennas

Hi There,

I would like to add an additional antenna to my RPi feeder + Flightaware dongle setup.

Presently I am using a Jetvision A3 Antenna, I would like to add a Yagi antenna or a similar antenna for spot beam coverage.

My question, can this be done with one dongle, or should I opt for a second one ?

Thanks

Originally posted by suv View Post
    Hi There,

I would like to add an additional antenna to my RPi feeder + Flightaware dongle setup.

Presently I am using a Jetvision A3 Antenna, I would like to add a Yagi antenna or a similar antenna for spot beam coverage.

My question, can this be done with one dongle, or should I opt for a second one ?

Thanks
    I wonder why you would want to have a spot beam coverage, since the antenna you are using will be giving 360 degree reception. I assume you perhaps want to expand your range in a specific direction ? Certainly not wise to connect both antennas together as some signals would be picked up by both antennas at the same time, and if the phase of the signals were 180 degrees out then effectively they could cancel each other out. The impedance would also give a mismatch which would also result in signal loss. The only real option would be a second dongle.

John
    T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

Comment

Originally posted by milair View Post
      I wonder why you would want to have a spot beam coverage, since the antenna you are using will be giving 360 degree reception. I assume you perhaps want to expand your range in a specific direction ? Certainly not wise to connect both antennas together as some signals would be picked up by both antennas at the same time, and if the phase of the signals were 180 degrees out then effectively they could cancel each other out. The impedance would also give a mismatch which would also result in signal loss. The only real option would be a second dongle.

John
      Hi Milair, thank you for your insight.

Exactly, I would like to cover a specific direction hence mountain range / valley.

The idea is to use a Yagi antenna + LNA + add another dongle to my current setup.

My question here would be apart from homebrew which Yagi antennas would be recommended ?

Thanks

Comment

Hi Milair, thank you for your insight.

Exactly, I would like to cover a specific direction hence mountain range / valley.

The idea is to use a Yagi antenna + LNA + add another dongle to my current setup.

My question here would be apart from homebrew which Yagi antennas would be recommended ?

Thanks
        Have no ideas on that, sorry. If you have a mountain in the way, unless the A/C is high enough to be visible (in a signal sense) nothing will work well. If the A/C is at a height to be seen then you will still be subject to line of sight calculations to determine the max range.

John
        Last edited by milair; 2017-04-24, 15:29.
        T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

Comment

Hi There,

Thanks
          Use a " Power Splitter " connected in Reverse. I am using the same setup - high gain Omni Antenna + High Gain Panel Antenna.

The Panel Antenna is aligned to face WSSS which is about 18 km away - I can see ground traffic with this Panel Antenna
          F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Working...
          X