Flight FR1144 - Route from Berlin to Manchester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight FR1144 - Route from Berlin to Manchester

Yesterday I flew from Berlin Schonefeld to Manchester on flight FR1144.

As Berlin is slightly more southerly than Manchester I perhaps naively, thought that the course would have been either westerly or westerly with a slight northerly component however, this was not the case - see below:

fr1144.JPG

The course that the flight took was westerly with a slight southern component, making landfall about 10 or so miles north of Southend. After that, it continued inland in the same direction and didn't turn onto a north westerly course until it was a few miles south of Chelmsford.

My initial thought was that this was might have been a one-off due to traffic and air traffic control on the day but looking at the last 7 flights, they have all done the same.

Anyway, sorry if my question is a bit dumb but I'm really curious to know so can anyone suggest a reason for the flight consistently taking what (to me at least) looks like a longer route than is necessary?

TIA,
    Mike

Probably due to Military activity over the North Sea. Most of the North Sea from Norfolk up to Shetland is covered in Military training areas.
    T-EGPH93 | My Live Feed | ADSB Receiver: Raspberry Pi3+, RTL-SDR v3, RTL-SDR LNA, FA Antenna | Airband Receiver: RPi3 & Diamond D777

Comment

Originally posted by NeoDude View Post
      Probably due to Military activity over the North Sea. Most of the North Sea from Norfolk up to Shetland is covered in Military training areas.
      Ah, I see Our daughter came back on the same flight recently and it was much more direct so what you're saying makes some sense. Local differences in the calendar for military operations might change things.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by objectivedynamics View Post
        Ah, I see Our daughter came back on the same flight recently and it was much more direct so what you're saying makes some sense. Local differences in the calendar for military operations might change things.

Thanks.
        You'll generally see more direct routes at the weekend from Friday at 1700 until Monday at 0600 because the military don't play then
        T-EGPH93 | My Live Feed | ADSB Receiver: Raspberry Pi3+, RTL-SDR v3, RTL-SDR LNA, FA Antenna | Airband Receiver: RPi3 & Diamond D777

Comment

Working...
        X