New User, Starting to Learn Some Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New User, Starting to Learn Some Things

Good Morning to everyone stateside, Good Afternoon, Good Evening, and Good Night to everyone else in other time zones!

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place. I've been using FR24 for quite some time now, but just became a Gold member recently. I'm trying to learn about how to read the radar screen using the ODA High / ODA Low / and RNAV routes. I've read the blog post about the route names and distance between waypoints. I've got a question about what I think are called "NAVAIDS".

I mostly watch ORD airspace, and have spotted what look like snowflakes with two letter designations. If I zoom in, I see the full name of the map marker. These names are Jocky, INDDY, and Chicago OHA TAFFS. What am I seeing? Where can I read about what their functions are and how / when they're used? Thanks for your patience ahead of time!

Invisible known waypoint locations that the NAVAID navigation Aid computers onboard can be programmed to fly to.

Maps and information about INDDY aviation waypoint △ Elmwood Park, IL US • Lat: 41° 54' 17.50" N Lon: 87° 48' 24.90" W • Click here to find more.

CHSTR is the other

Some will broadcast ILS line up info, some weather and so on. Or can be used as a marker point

I took a 75 mile very round trip yesterday and visited all of the outer marker sites, or what is left of them; (It should be noted that several of these runways are very seldom used for O'Hare landing anymore, especially given the expansion based trend towards east-west operations). LEAMA 14L...

TAFFS in this case seems to be a non directional. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-directional_beacon
    Last edited by Oblivian; 2017-04-17, 05:50.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Thank you so much, Oblivian!

Comment

ChicagoCenter,

If you like reading charts check out the Approach Charts on the following page (bottom left, pdf files). You'll find 'TAFFS' on some of those for Rwy27L at KORD, depending on the type of approach- from memory it's on the ILS/LOC (ILS/Localiser) approach chart. It's the 'FAF' or Final Approach Fix for this runway which marks the commencement of the final sector of the approach. You'll likely find those other navaids/waypoints you've asked about which may be associated with the other runways' Approach/Departure procedures.

We protect your freedom to fly by supporting activities that ensure the long-term health of general aviation; educating pilots, non-pilots, and policy makers alike.

Note: These charts cannot be used for actual navigation purposes.

Regards,
        Gregg
        Last edited by fungus; 2017-04-19, 05:31.
        YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Working...
        X