Stats hard to justify

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stats hard to justify

I would like to know how a spotter in the same city as me constantly gets a higher rating. There is only 24 hours in the day and my radar is on 24/7 but the other spotter must have a 27 hour day. My range is always better than his. but he is always ahead of me. Do the"F" radars get a bonus and that us humble "T" spotters not entitled to??

Out of the top ten radars in the world, eight are "T" and 2 are "F", a 4 to 1 ratio.

F-KDAG1

Comment

Originally posted by Alcra View Post
      I would like to know how a spotter in the same city as me constantly gets a higher rating. There is only 24 hours in the day and my radar is on 24/7 but the other spotter must have a 27 hour day. My range is always better than his. but he is always ahead of me. Do the"F" radars get a bonus and that us humble "T" spotters not entitled to??
      No, F radars don't have preference as you can see all top 5 radars are T. The uptime that you see there is actually upload time. Only the time when data has been uploaded is counted. That's probably why you are seeing the other person's uptime more than yours.
      --

Comment

I think what Alcra is trying to say is that the formula or calculation itself is not working as presented in the example. I've the same issue myself but given up after numerous tries with fr24 support to rectify the issue. No matter how you calculate the numbers wont add up. If now anyone at fr24 has a minute to spare it would be nice to see the algorithm or formula they use on that side

Comment

That is exactly what I am saying. The formula they give to ascertain your up time is nonsense. On a side issue why am I constantly having to sign in every time I log on, since the new software was introduced?????

Comment

My approach is different. Since I dont get paid for the amount of data I feed, or for my up time, or for my rank, I dont bother about these. Why to frustrate myself for something which does not benefit or harm me?

Comment

If you dont bother, why you comment on the subject? Suggest you let us who are interested in the thread discuss and stay away unless you have useful information.

As a side note i can mention that some of us are interested in the technology behind the whole system, RF, networks, antennas, performance data, geographical positions, mlat calculations etc etc. Statistics and comparisons are in those cases quite nice to have somewhat accurate, especially when the data obviously is there and correct on each users individual stats page but not presented properly together with others. The whole idea behind FR24 is still, and depending on, individual users around the world sharing their data.

But please, if you have no interest in this and just feed to get business access, well then find another thread to bother in. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Fredrik View Post
                If you dont bother, why you comment on the subject? Suggest you let us who are interested in the thread discuss and stay away unless you have useful information.

As a side note i can mention that some of us are interested in the technology behind the whole system, RF, networks, antennas, performance data, geographical positions, mlat calculations etc etc. Statistics and comparisons are in those cases quite nice to have somewhat accurate, especially when the data obviously is there and correct on each users individual stats page but not presented properly together with others. The whole idea behind FR24 is still, and depending on, individual users around the world sharing their data.

But please, if you have no interest in this and just feed to get business access, well then find another thread to bother in. Thanks
                I am also interested in the technology behind the whole system, RF, networks, antennas, performance data, geographical positions, etc etc. Please see threads in technical matters (hardware) and feeding data (software) which I have either created or actively participated in.

To monitor my systems performance, I do not depend on any site like FR24, FA, PF etc. I monitor my stats locally on my RPi by installing collectd/rrdtools. Please see this thread which shows how to install these tools and Performance Graphs:

Automated Installation of Dump1090-Mutability, Data Feeders, and Performance Graphs

Comment

The above noted thread for Performance Graph Installation was created by me. The guide/tutorial has been written by me, but I am not the author of automated installation script. Mr. J Prochazka is the author of script.

Some technical threads & tutorials created / written by me are given below. You will find many more, if you search :

What is the Maximum Range I can Get?

3 EASY ANTENNAS FOR BEGINNERS

CoCo Antenna - 2, 4, 6, 8 & 12 Elements - Simulation Results

Attenuation of RF Signal in Passing Through Glass, Masonry, Wood & Concrete

One technical thread in which I have contributed heavily:
                  Best Antenna (total 267 pages)

Last edited by abcd567; 2017-04-06, 08:06.

Comment

All that stuff is OK if you are into it. I have three radars and have invested alot of dollars to set them up, but if I change an antenna or put a pre amp in ,I would like to see if I have improved the station. Every man for himself. If you have no interest , thats fine! Just let the rest of us have a conversation.

Comment

All that stuff is OK if you are into it. I have three radars and have invested alot of dollars to set them up, but if I change an antenna or put a pre amp in ,I would like to see if I have improved the station. Every man for himself.
                      I have also invested lot of money in my 3 stations, and want to monitor the affect of any changes I make. All I wanted to tell you is that I am using an option to monitor stats collected locally, where I dont face such complaints as "stats hard to justify".

If you have no interest , thats fine! Just let the rest of us have a conversation.
                      My posts do not prevent any one of you from having a conversation. What I feel I am being told that since I dont agree with rest of you, I should shut up. This is an open forum, and this attitude of not tolerating disagreement is not acceptable.

Comment

Discussion over from my end.

Comment

Calculation is done based on this formula

score = SUM/10(
                          (2 x Uptime (minutes) + 2 x Max range + Avg range) of day 1,
                          (2 x Uptime + 2 x Max range + Avg range) of day 2,
                          (2 x Uptime + 2 x Max range + Avg range) of day 30
                          )
                          --

Comment

Thank you, that explains it very well

Comment

Originally posted by Khan View Post
                              Calculation is done based on this formula

score = SUM/10(
                              (2 x Uptime (minutes) + 2 x Max range + Avg range) of day 1,
                              (2 x Uptime + 2 x Max range + Avg range) of day 2,
                              (2 x Uptime + 2 x Max range + Avg range) of day 30
                              )
                              Khan, I f think use of the term Uptime is somewhat confusimg on the FR24 website.

Uptime according to the Radar Statistics page shows up as the time that a Datafeeder is communicating down the line to FR24. My stats almost always show 100% and yet the Uptime in the Add Coverage page shows my radars uptime as being closer to 690. I realise that this is time that aircraft activity is occurring and being collected.

I suggest the Radar Statistics page should be changed so that the term Uptime there becomes Time On Line or something like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X