Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stats hard to justify

Quote Originally Posted by Alcra View Post
    All that stuff is OK if you are into it. I have three radars and have invested alot of dollars to set them up, but if I change an antenna or put a pre amp in ,I would like to see if I have improved the station. Every man for himself.
    I have also invested lot of money in my 3 stations, and want to monitor the affect of any changes I make. All I wanted to tell you is that I am using an option to monitor stats collected locally, where I dont face such complaints as "stats hard to justify".

Quote Originally Posted by Alcra View Post
    If you have no interest , thats fine! Just let the rest of us have a conversation.
    My posts do not prevent any one of you from having a conversation. What I feel I am being told that since I dont agree with rest of you, I should shut up. This is an open forum, and this attitude of not tolerating disagreement is not acceptable.

Flight attendant
    Discussion over from my end.

Team FR24
    Calculation is done based on this formula

score = SUM/10(
    (2 x Uptime (minutes) + 2 x Max range + Avg range) of day 1,
    (2 x Uptime + 2 x Max range + Avg range) of day 2,
    (2 x Uptime + 2 x Max range + Avg range) of day 30
    )
    --

Flight attendant
    Thank you, that explains it very well

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Khan View Post

score = SUM/10(
    )
    Khan, I f think use of the term Uptime is somewhat confusimg on the FR24 website.

Uptime according to the Radar Statistics page shows up as the time that a Datafeeder is communicating down the line to FR24. My stats almost always show 100% and yet the Uptime in the Add Coverage page shows my radars uptime as being closer to 690. I realise that this is time that aircraft activity is occurring and being collected.

I suggest the Radar Statistics page should be changed so that the term Uptime there becomes Time On Line or something like that.

Team FR24
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSunnyhills View Post
    Khan, I f think use of the term Uptime is somewhat confusimg on the FR24 website.

Uptime according to the Radar Statistics page shows up as the time that a Datafeeder is communicating down the line to FR24. My stats almost always show 100% and yet the Uptime in the Add Coverage page shows my radars uptime as being closer to 690. I realise that this is time that aircraft activity is occurring and being collected.

I suggest the Radar Statistics page should be changed so that the term Uptime there becomes Time On Line or something like that.
    Yes, you are right about that. It needs to change as Uptime confuses everyone since it shows very different numbers when you compare it with your Daily Availability graph which is the true Uptime.
    --

Yes, you are right about that. It needs to change as Uptime confuses everyone since it shows very different numbers when you compare it with your Daily Availability graph which is the true Uptime.
    The last time I raised this with FR24 was on 8th February 2017. Perhaps FR24 will explain this on the Statistics page so we all understand how it's calculated. It's been confusing us data feeders since Day One. What's the point of showing a score that no one understands?
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Passenger

score = SUM/10(
    )
    Getting back to the calculation, the issue really is for whose benefit is this being calculated.

What an individual datafeeder is likely to want to know is :
    Number of minutes that I was actually online to FR24, (ie capable of spotting activity if it is there)
    the average of of the daily scores over a 30 day period (not the daily scores summed over 30 days)

This means that this then shows availability as well as effective performance.
    The inclusion of Average simply reduces the score which is a bit weird when the Max figure is really what it is about, Those further from an airport or flight path benefit with this.

From this I surmise that FR in designing the calculation measure ranking based on:
    How close you are to a flight path or an airport (include average)
    How much activity is occurring in your area (by using uptime to mean the time when there is actually aircraft activity)

This is likely to measure the level of quality data that a feeder is contributing.

Moving on I am not sure that the the Max Range is being calculated as explained in the ?help on the Add Coverage page.
    Monitoring my results it is clear that Max Range is not the maximum range over 30 days, but some more convoluted calculation.

Purser
    It's not so easy to say which is the most fair calculation, "connection" uptime or "received a/c feed" uptime. Some receivers are located in areas where there is no traffic within 250 nm some periods of the day. Should they really be "punished" for this in the stats? Complete coverage depends on users setting up receivers even in areas with little traffic. It is also much harder to find feeders there, while around the big airport there are lots and lots of willing feeders.

This is one thing that I prefer with FR24 stats compared to FA, FR24 does not count the amount of traffic. With FA, you have to live near a big airport to get high ranking, and I feel FR24 system is more fair to all users, but this uptime calc goes a bit against that principle.
    F-ESDF1, F-ESGG1, F-ESGP1, F-ESNK1, F-ESNV2, F-ESNV3 F-ESSL4, F-LFMN3
    P-ESGR, P-ESIA, P-ESIB, P-ESGF

Purser

score = SUM/10(
    (2 x Uptime + 2 x Max range + Avg range) of day 30 )

So you are saying that Avg range (also in the table, not only in summary?) is the average of all contacts ? Not the average MAX over the month?

How can the top radars get > 250 nm AVERAGE range, is there no traffic in their vicinity?

(T-feeders set their own position, can we trust it? )

/M
    F-ESDF1, F-ESGG1, F-ESGP1, F-ESNK1, F-ESNV2, F-ESNV3 F-ESSL4, F-LFMN3
    P-ESGR, P-ESIA, P-ESIB, P-ESGF