Water ingress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water ingress

Well, it looks like I've got some water ingress into my antenna or cable somewhere. I was wondering why I had some funny stats days and now when I think about it it was days it had rained......

This afternoon after a fine day we had a rain storm come through.... my main system which feeds here and FlightAware fell over, whilst my portable system soldiered on.... sigh......

Portable system:

Main system:

FA Stats page for the main system:

The lightest blue trace is the telling one

Looks like I have some investigating to do next weekend
    T-YSBK22

Had a chance this afternoon to bring the antenna (a Jetvision A3 https://shop.jetvision.de/epages/648...Products/67020) down ... not good news.

Found water dripping out of the N connector when I disassembled everything. I think its getting in where the plastic joins the metal base. I'll let it dry out inside for a few days and then try to reseal it.

Have pressed the Maxrad unity gain antenna that I normally use with my portable setup into service for the interim.
    T-YSBK22

Comment

Sorry for bringing up this old post. I could not message you in here.
      Do you find the problem with your antenna ?
      I have the exactly same antenna and problem.

Comment

No worries about bringing up an old post.

I found I had to reseal around where the plastic outer tube goes into the metal base. (see the attached pic)

A3 water leak.JPG

After that all good.

Andrew
        T-YSBK22

Comment

Ohh, i think I need to do the same.
          Was there any sign of water inside the antenna?
          And was it easy to disassemble?

Comment

Yes, there was condensation evident when I pulled the cap off the top of the antenna. I didn't really disassemble it any further.

To dry it out, I left the cap off and cooked the antenna in the oven at about 50 degrees celcius for about 2 hours - not high enough to damage anything but hot enough to dry out any condensation.

To seal it I just ran a new bead of neutral cure silicone around the plastic to metal join as indicated.
            Last edited by rodeo; 2018-08-15, 12:45.
            T-YSBK22

Comment

I'm having the same problem with the A3 antenna...
              Not very impressive for a nearly 80 Euro antenna that is meant to be "best suitable for outdoor use"

Comment

No you are right. That not impressive.
                I toke off the top like Rodeo said, and used some heat to let I dry out.
                The problem was exactly the same place.

And the N connector was FULL of water when I took of the plug.
                I don't have any silicone, so I used a good layer of Self-amalgamating tape and electrical tape.

After that no problem with water.

But for 80 Euro, hmm, that's not satisfying.

Comment

I have ordered one of those Russian one's.
                  See if it'll make a difference, will post results when I have it up and running!

Comment

My HOA has solved my water ingress problem. They refused to allow any outdoor installation of antenna, and as a result all my antennas are inside my apartment near windows. No water ingress problem

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                      My HOA has solved my water ingress problem. They refused to allow any outdoor installation of antenna, and as a result all my antennas are inside my apartment near windows. No water ingress problem
                      That seems a bit harsh but I suppose they have to avoid large numbers of residents wanting their own antennas/dishes for various uses.
                      Is you apartment high up near the top of the block?

Comment

It is not at/near the top of the building, but several floors above the road, enough to give 250 nm range in directions in which there is no high-rise building.

The main issue is several surrounding large buildings which block view. My antennas can see only those planes which are visible in the slots between buildings. My own building blocks a large portion of the 360° coverage

If antennas were allowed on roof of the building, the view of almost entire 360° would be clear.

Comment

That probably explains why you are content, or is it resigned, to experiment with antennas placed by the window.

I feel I just have to get them up on the roof to make the most of the limited height of my house.

Of course the reasonably good 360 degree view I have is a big bonus but wouldn’t it be amazing if you could have an antenna plus LNA on top of the apartment building?

I dare say with enough amplification it could be fed via the communal aerial distribution.
                          Last edited by jackthom; 2018-09-08, 16:01.

Comment

Originally posted by jackthom View Post
                            That probably explains why you are content, or is it resigned, to experiment with antennas placed by the window.
                            (1) "Resigned" is more appropriate

(2) Addition benefit: At arm's reach, makes experimenting very easy. It is hard to climb up and down the roof a large number of times needed during experimenting.

Originally posted by jackthom View Post
                            I dare say with enough amplification it could be fed via the communal aerial distribution.
                            No community aerial distribution in our building. Only paid ($ $ $) Cable TV by a Cable TV company. For the free of cost "on the air" TV, I use indoor "rabbit ear" telescopic antenna
                            Last edited by abcd567; 2018-09-08, 16:43.

Comment

Working...
                            X