Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding data with Raspberry Pi

Hello,

I have a Rasperry Pi and I do nothing with it, so I think I can help Flightradar24, by feeding data.
    I have a few questions about Flightradar :
    - I am going to buy this antenna : (media-tech.eu/products/dvb-t-stick/MT4171) Will that work?

- It is possible to know where are placed the other antennas ?

- If I send data to other websites, do I need a speed internet connection ?

Thanks

Originally posted by Lulucmy View Post
    Hello,

- I am going to buy this antenna : (media-tech.eu/products/dvb-t-stick/MT4171) Will that work?

- It is possible to know where are placed the other antennas ?

- If I send data to other websites, do I need a speed internet connection ?

Thanks
    Probably not, however as they don't say what the chipset is it is not possible to give a definite answer, the supplied antenna will certainly not be suitable as it stands, just look on eBay for a USB SDR receiver with the RTL2832 / R820T2 chipset, it should cost no more than £10
    You are probably best off building your own antennae to start off with, a simple quarter wave groundplane is not hard to make. (See the best antenna thread)
    You don't need a fast internet connection, some people have used a mobile 3G connection! But that can be expensive depending on your mobile contract, any land based connection should be more than suitable.
    There is a map of feeders, I don't recall the URL offhand, but for privacy reasons it only shows the locations to an accuracy of around 10KM.
    FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

1) Receiver DVB-T Stick with Antenna: As F-EGLF1 has said, for adsb you need a USB SDR receiver with the RTL2832 / R820T2 chipset.

Just search on eBay, and you will get a list of large number of sellers with price around 70 zł (£14) from European sellers (fast shipping) and as low as 25 zł (£5) from Hong Kong/China/ Malaysia sellers (slow shipping):

http://www.ebay.pl/sch/i.html?_nkw=R...R820T2&_sop=15

2) The Antenna which comes with the DVB-T Stick is a good starter with some simple and easy DIY enhancements:
      Optimize the Whip Antenna Which Is Supplied With DVB-T Dongle

3) Better performance (than what you get with whip antenna of DVB-T) can be obtained by making a simple & easy DIY ground plane antennas like SPIDER and CANTENNA:

3 EASY ANTENNAS FOR BEGINNERS

QUICK SPIDER - No Soldering, No Connector

4) Walls & roof of buildings weaken the ADSB signal. Performance will improve greatly if you mount your antenna outdoors

5) Transmission of ADS-B signal is in line-of-sight, and is obstructed by tall buildings & trees. Mounting antenna above the height of surrounding buildings and trees (i.e. mounting antenna on roof or mast) greatly enhances maximum range. Best range comes in those directions in which antenna has an unobstructed view of horizon. General rule: higher the better.

GOOD LUCK!
      Last edited by abcd567; 2017-03-05, 17:27.

Comment

Hello,
        Thanks for your answers, I ordered my antenna, but I have two questions :
        - Is the map with all the contributors always available ?
        - I can position my antenna in two different ways :
        schema12.jpg
        Which one is the better ?

Thanks
        Last edited by Lulucmy; 2017-03-06, 19:07. Reason: repost

Comment

- I can position my antenna in two different ways :
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]8520[/ATTACH]
          Which one is the better ?

2017-03-06 17.02.45.jpg

Reason: The ADS-B transmission is vertically polarized. Hence vertical antenna will receive maximum signal, and horizontal antenna will get Near Zero reception.

Comment

Hello,

Ok, I thanks for you answer. Just a two more questions :
            - Is there any dahsboard where I would see my statistics ?
            - Is the antenna waterproof (Which resists the rain)?

Comment

Salut Lulucmy !

- Is there any dahsboard where I would see my statistics ?
              You can see some feeder statistics here: FR24 site > Add coverage > Share statistics
              T-EDDG63

Comment

Lulucmy:

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

Then login using email & password you used to signin during "FR24 datafeeder" installation.

After login, click "Account".

Comment

If you want to view and keep record of your data locally on your RPi, use the performance graphs, which are installed when you install "Web Portal". Method is described in this thread:

Automated Installation of Dump1090-Mutability, Data Feeders, and Performance Graphs

Comment

- Is the antenna waterproof (Which resists the rain)?
                    I have indoor installation (live in an apartment), hence never found a chance to test it outdoors in rain etc.

Apparently it looks the Whip antenna of DVB-T dongle is NOT water/rain proof.

Comment

Hello,

I just installed my antenna, everything is working thanks abcd567 and Cagou
                      My antenna (T-LFMN18) is online, but can I install Dump1090 now or is it too late ?

Comment

Hello,

I just installed my antenna, everything is working thanks abcd567 and Cagou
                        My antenna (T-LFMN18) is online, but can I install Dump1090 now or is it too late ?
                        If your antenna (T-LFMN18) is on line, there is already dump1090 installed and working.

Please note that FR24 Data feeder has an integral dump1090, and during installation if it does not find any other version of dump1090 already there, it installs and uses its integral dump1090.

Please type <IP of RPi>:8080 in your desktop/laptop's browser, and it will show the dump1090 map, like one below:

MAP and SETTINGS (If integral dump1090 of FR24 feeder is used)
                        FR24Feeder-map.png . FR24Feeder-gain settings.png

Please take a screenshot, and post it, like I have posted above
                        Last edited by abcd567; 2017-03-10, 18:48.

Comment

Ok thanks, my map is working but not all the planes I have on Dump1090 are on flightradar, maybe it's just a bug
                          I installed Planefinder and i'm trying to install Piaware too, but I have an error :

Code:
                          Reading package lists... Done
                          Building dependency tree       
                          Reading state information... Done
                          You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
                          The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                           expect : Depends: tcl8.5 (>= 8.5.0) but it is not going to be installed
                           libexpat1-dev : Depends: libexpat1 (= 2.1.0-6+deb8u1) but 2.1.0-6+deb8u3 is to be installed
                           piaware : Depends: libtcl8.6 (>= 8.6.0) but it is not going to be installed
                                     Depends: tclx8.4 but it is not going to be installed
                                     Depends: tcl8.6 but it is not going to be installed
                                     Depends: tcllib but it is not going to be installed
                                     Depends: tcl-tls but it is not going to be installed
                                     Depends: itcl3 but it is not going to be installed
                           tightvncserver : Depends: x11-common but it is not going to be installed or
                                                     xserver-common but it is not going to be installed
                                            Depends: x11-utils but it is not going to be installed
                                            Recommends: x11-xserver-utils but it is not going to be installed
                           xfonts-base : Depends: xfonts-utils (>= 1:7.5+2) but it is not going to be installed
                          E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
                          I have the same error for everything I want to install on my Rpi but I think I would post on Flightaware forum...

Comment

Ok thanks, my map is working but not all the planes I have on Dump1090 are on flightradar, maybe it's just a bug
                            I installed Planefinder and i'm trying to install Piaware too, but I have an error :

Code:
                            Reading package lists... Done
                            Building dependency tree       
                            Reading state information... Done
                            [COLOR="#FF0000"]You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:[/COLOR]
                            The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                             expect : Depends: tcl8.5 (>= 8.5.0) but it is not going to be installed
                             libexpat1-dev : Depends: libexpat1 (= 2.1.0-6+deb8u1) but 2.1.0-6+deb8u3 is to be installed
                             piaware : Depends: libtcl8.6 (>= 8.6.0) but it is not going to be installed
                                       Depends: tclx8.4 but it is not going to be installed
                                       Depends: tcl8.6 but it is not going to be installed
                                       Depends: tcllib but it is not going to be installed
                                       Depends: tcl-tls but it is not going to be installed
                                       Depends: itcl3 but it is not going to be installed
                             tightvncserver : Depends: x11-common but it is not going to be installed or
                                                       xserver-common but it is not going to be installed
                                              Depends: x11-utils but it is not going to be installed
                                              Recommends: x11-xserver-utils but it is not going to be installed
                             xfonts-base : Depends: xfonts-utils (>= 1:7.5+2) but it is not going to be installed
                            E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
                            I have the same error for everything I want to install on my Rpi but I think I would post on Flightaware forum...
                            Had you try to do what it suggest "You might want to run 'apt-get -f install'"?
                            Open a terminal to your Pi, login, and then type "sudo apt-get -f install" (without the quote marks)

Comment

Lulucmy:

As already suggested by K2teknik, try this:
                              Code:
                              sudo apt-get -f install

Comment

Working...
                              X