Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Kit

Hi all.
    Now into my second week of feeding and hooked already lol.
    I'm using the Nooelec dongle (Aluminum case) on my Win 7 PC and the supplied mag mount with a trimmed down antenna (52mm I think) indoors.
    I can get up to 60nm at best.
    I was advised by FR24 that I probably wouldn't qualify for the free kit so was looking for advice on what's best.
    I want to move away from having to have the PC on 24/7 and hope to install an outdoor antenna.
    Now, being in the UK, can someone please point me in the direction of a decent antenna that won't cost an arm and a leg lol
    I was recommended to go with a Raspberry Pi but know nothing about them. The walkthroughs in the forum look pretty straight forward though, so what would be the best kit to go for ?

Thanks for any help in advance.
    T-EGPH99

Raspberry Pi3, Flightaware Prostick & FlightAware Antenna all set up in the loft is what I'm running. Works nicely.
    T-EGPH93 | My Live Feed | ADSB Receiver: Raspberry Pi3+, RTL-SDR v3, RTL-SDR LNA, FA Antenna | Airband Receiver: RPi3 & Diamond D777

Comment

Cheers neoDude. Seems we're not far away from each other lol.
      Unfortunately, I've not got a loft as I live in a 2 up 2 down block and I'm in the bottom flat. My garden is the nearest to the house though.
      ModMyPi has the FlightAware antenna for £45.
      Just need to choose the correct parts for the Pi kit and try not to break the bank lol
      T-EGPH99

Comment

1) Flightaware Antenna+Filter+Pro Stick+Pi
        2) Cantenna+DVB-T+Pi
        Located near a large window in an apartment, 60 ft above ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy View Post
          Cheers neoDude. Seems we're not far away from each other lol.
          Unfortunately, I've not got a loft as I live in a 2 up 2 down block and I'm in the bottom flat. My garden is the nearest to the house though.
          ModMyPi has the FlightAware antenna for £45.
          Just need to choose the correct parts for the Pi kit and try not to break the bank lol
          This Kit would do the trick. You don't need a keyboard or anything, it can all be setup remotely via SSH.
          T-EGPH93 | My Live Feed | ADSB Receiver: Raspberry Pi3+, RTL-SDR v3, RTL-SDR LNA, FA Antenna | Airband Receiver: RPi3 & Diamond D777

Comment

Originally posted by NeoDude View Post
            You don't need a keyboard or anything, it can all be setup remotely via SSH.
            By default SSH is disabled in latest versions of Raspbian Jessie and Piaware.
            To enable SSH, you have to create a file named ssh in /boot directory of the microSD card. This can be easily done immediately after writing Raspbian or Piaware image to micoSD card, while it is still in the card reader of the Desktop/Laptop.

METHOD 1
            open command prompt window by typing cmd.exe and press enter.
            in window opened, type echo > M:\ssh (in place of M, use drive letter of your microSD card)

ssh-1.jpg ssh-2.jpg

METHOD 2
            In the microSD card's folder, right click, then choose "New" and then "Text Document".
            Rename text document to ssh.txt or ssh

ssh-3.png
            Last edited by abcd567; 2017-02-18, 07:33.

Comment

Hookup of Flightaware Antenna, Filter, and ProStick

Comment

Many thanks for the help guys
                Just looking around at different options now.
                I'll try without the filter for now. I'm not in a busy town or city as such.
                Are the heatsinks recommended to add to the Pi ?
                All the different connection plug sizes can be a pain. N type, SMA etc
                Do you recommend the use of the USB to Ethernet adapters to help with longer cable runs ?
                T-EGPH99

Comment

I have both of my Sticks connected directly to the bottom of the Antennas and then use a 5m USB lead to connect back to the Pi, no coax = no loss

If you need to use coax I highly recommend Westflex 103.

Not sure about heatsinks, I have them on anyways, they don't cost much.

Comment

Well, just ordered the kit you recommended, along with the Flighaware Antenna and a set of heatsinks. Something is better than nothing I recon lol.
                    The problem I have is, if I install the antenna on the chimney, it's a good bit of a cable run to the bottom flat of a 2 up 2 down house.
                    I'll probably experiment with it around ground level first. I'm pretty high up in my village. I get 50 odd nm using a cut down (52mm I think) old antenna on the supplied mag mount.
                    I'll need to get the Pi set up and running first though' Looking forwards to that because I love tinkering.
                    Thanks again for your help. It's certainly helped....
                    T-EGPH99

Comment

I would recommend setting up your card with the FlightAware image to begin with using This Guide.

Then use This to add the FR24 feed. <---Disregard, see below
                      Last edited by NeoDude; 2017-02-19, 05:43.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoDude View Post

Then use This to add the FR24 feed.
                        The palmerit script you recommended above was posted on Feb 6, 2015 (0.0.1 - initial release), and was never updated.

The Official FR24 feeder is MLAT enabled, and can be installed by following command:
                        Code:
                        sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - http://repo.feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh)"
                        Please see these pages:

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

We are happy to announce the release of MLAT based on Raspberry Pi receivers. If you would like to participate, please make sure you have the following: Raspberry Pi B+ or Raspberry Pi 2 DVB-T USB receiver with antenna Fairly good location to install the antenna Tests were performed on RPi B+ and RPi2 with Raspbian OS,
                        Last edited by abcd567; 2017-02-19, 02:56.

Comment

Excellent, thanks for the correction

Comment

Working...
                          X