Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to see MLAT traffic (or Arrgg... conflicting information... brain will explode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to see MLAT traffic (or Arrgg... conflicting information... brain will explode)

Hi,

I have a Windows machine that is used to feed FR24 and Planefinder.
    I'm now waiting for the RPi to arrive, and I'm going to switch my feed from Windows to the Pi.

Now... what I would like to achieve is to be able to see the location of the MLAT traffic locally (in VRS for example).
    What I kind of figured out from everything that I read is that this can only be done by feeding to FlightAware or ADSBExchange. It's not possible by feeding to FR24.
    Is this correct?

Now, if I want to feed to FA to get MLAT results, must I use their version of dump1090(fa), or can I use dump1090-mutability?

In any case, I will continue feeding FR24 and Planefinder as well.

BTW, I have seen the thread http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ormance-Graphs
    It seems to be the easiest way to install, but my security-conscious mind is scared of running an automated installation script without knowing if it has been compromised in any way...

Thanks in advance for your insights!

Adi

Originally posted by adi4x View Post
    Now, if I want to feed to FA to get MLAT results, must I use their version of dump1090(fa), or can I use dump1090-mutability?
    PiAware can co-exist with dump1090-mutability.

I won't post a link, but try searching the FlightAware Discussion Forum for "mutability" and you'll find tons of helpful threads including setups that can feed multiple tracking services from a single RPi running PiAware.
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

I have used automated scripts to install dump1090umutability, data feeders, and performance graphs on my three Pis several times without any problem.

However if you dont trust automated script, you can install dump1090-mutability manually as described in this thread:

How to Install dump1090-mutability_1.15~dev on RPi

It is highly recommended to avoid installing dump1090-mutability on an existing installation which is already running any other version of dump1090.

Recommended method and sequence of installation is as follows:
      1) Format microSD card.
      2) Write Raspbian Jessie img (download from raspberrypi.org).
      3) FIRST install dump1090-mutability v1.15~dev.
      4) NEXT install data feeders (FR24, Planefinder, Flightware, etc)

Comment

An update - everything is working superbly!

While I'm waiting for my Pi to arrive, I've decided to try the new setup on a remote Pi that I have. Previously it only fed FR24.
        So, I've installed it again - downloaded the full PiAware image. On it I installed fr24feed and Planefinder.
        I use modesmixer2 on that Pi to push the data to my home machine, where I combine it with my own data on VRS.
        Now that I'm feeding FA, I'm getting back the MLAT results, so I'm able to push them home in a separate stream from the regular data.

So currently my VRS merged feed includes my home receiver, the remote receiver, and the remote MLAT data. When my Pi arrives, I will be able to play some more with this

It's nice to see new planes on my radar!

Comment

@adi4x:

You dont have to install modeSmixer2 to feed from dump1090 on Pi to VRS on home computer.
          The VRS can do it over internet by itself if properly configured.

The dump1090-fa (integral part of Piaware image) has outputs available as follows:

ADS-B
          At port 30003 - Basestation format
          At port 30005 - Beast format

MLAT
          At port 30105 - Basestation format
          At port 30106 - Beast format

THIS IS HOW I SETUP MY VRS IN BASESTATION FORMAT
          Note: To setup in Beast format, use port 30005 instead of 30003, and port 30105 instead of 30106

SCREENSHOT 1 OF 3 - ADSB RECEIVER (Basestation Format)

SCREENSHOT 2 OF 3 - FA MLAT RECEIVER (Basestation Format)

SCREENSHOT 3 OF 3 - MERGE FEED ADSB+MLAT (Basestation Format)

Comment

@abcd567

That would require to set up the router on the Pi side to allow inbound connections, correct? This is something that I wanted (or actually, had to) avoid.

This is why I'm pushing the data to my network, rather than pulling it.

Actually I also have ModeSmixer2 running on my local network also. My computer, where VRS runs, is also used by me to connect to work using VPN, and this causes disconnections, so I have ModeSmixer2 running on my wife's computer, to get the data from the remote Pi and output it locally.
            This will also move to the Pi once it arrives.

BTW, according to the FAQ on FA, port 30105 is MLAT Beast format and 30106 is extended Basestation.

Comment

Working...
            X