Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replace DVBT stick with Flightaware Pro

First I would like to say thank you to all who gave advice. I now have had the Flightaware stick and filter installed, I've seen the maximum range go up from 100 to 150 miles, as a result I am also now picking up a lot more aircraft.

I'm now considering mounting the antenna externally, my set up is in the garage so I am undecided as to go for mounting on the garage or as high as I can get on the house roof. The house roof will mean a much longer cable run as the garage is detached.

LP
    T-EGNJ48 Raspberry Pi3, Flightaware yellow stick/filter and Radar-Rama antenna
    Based in North Lincolnshire England

Quote Originally Posted by Steve N View Post
    Hi Lincolnshire Poacher,
    Just checking out your current stats (Saturday 11 Feb '17) & can see the following:

Rank Radar Username Country GBR Overall score Uptime Max range Avg range
    501 T-EGNJ48 LincsPoacher United Kingdom 8,939 698 100 32

I think the main problem with the range you are getting is the aerial location. As you've said above, "its in my garage with the aerial in the roof section, at the moment I dont want to go down the route of an outside aerial."
    I can't see the range improving without moving the antenna to the highest, unobstructed point possible on your roof.

Cheers,
    Steve

T-YBUD2 Win7, DVB-T, Homemade Co-linear Antenna.
    I now have the Flightaware stick (yellow) and filter connected to a Radar-Rama antenna, its still in my garage although I have re positioned the antenna. The net result is a good gain, range has gone up by about 70/80nm, average range gone up by 20nm and both still rising. So the Flightaware stick and filter were well worth it.

Looking at the range plot I have gaps where I am blocked by buildings, my next stage will be to go for a roof mount for the antenna, I'm unsure as to stay with the Radar-Rama antenna or go with the flight aware, also advice on the best cable to use would be appreciated.

I suspect that with a roof mounted antenna I will no longer have a reduced range in some directions because of buildings and I hope to see my max range go to 220/230nm. From my location it that would cover from the other side of the channel to Glasgow and over to Ireland Belfast/Dublin and beyond.
    T-EGNJ48 Raspberry Pi3, Flightaware yellow stick/filter and Radar-Rama antenna
    Based in North Lincolnshire England

Passenger
    I've just come back with brand new 1090 antenna, and Blue FlightAware Prostick plus with built in 1090 filter and amp and I cannot get any signals. My old stick is seeing planes albeit a limited range. Have I got a duff stick or is there a different config needed?

Not any plane?

I've realized that the stick can "see" planes even if no antenna is attached.
    Are you using an SD card image or did you set it up manually?

Maybe it's the best to get an image, write to an SD card and test it with that to avoid any misconfiguration

Captain
    Did you test the old stick with the new cabling+antenna?

You can test the ProStick+ by sticking a 6.5 cm wire into the SMA connector.
    Like that it should already receive something when pointed upwards.

Apart from a cabling problem, it could also be that interference is overloading the LNA which comes before the filter.
    If that is the case and you don't receive basically anything, then an additional FA filter may help but won't give you really good performance.
    Thus i'd recommend this combo of an external LNA and a stick to power it: https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-wi...of-lna--dongle

A temporary antenna formed by a small paper clip, straightened and inserted into center hole of the stick's connector. To keep antenna vertical, the RPi was placed on it's edge.

20190212_011118.jpg

Passenger
    I built the RPi usinga downloaded image. The new antenna gives reception and I receive planes up to a limited distance about 35nm on my old bog-standard DVB-T+DAB+FM dongle with no filtering or amplification. I bought the FA prostick+ on the recommendation of Moonraker Radio in the UK on the basis that it had filtering for 1090 and an amplifier built in. They said extra filtering was not necessary. I understand the implications of local RF saturating the stick but that did not happen on the old one that had no filtering at all. I am also confused by the many different instructions about which stick to nominate in the settings. Should I be on DVBT Stick, ModeS Beast or AVR USB. Also should I stick to gain -10 figure? I suspect I may have a deaf stick. At the moment I'm on the old stick and using DVBT setting, T-RPVM1 Settings is reporting 8 Aircraft Tracked, 7 Aircraft uploaded but I'm not seeing them on Dump1090. Very puzzled.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolml View Post
    I am also confused by the many different instructions about which stick to nominate in the settings. Should I be on DVBT Stick, ModeS Beast or AVR USB. Also should I stick to gain -10 figure? I suspect I may have a deaf stick.
    It's not a beast (you would know)
    It's not an AVR device

It's a USB stick. Made from a DVBT stick. With added features.

So no change.

And no. No gain should be specified. My next question was going to be have you made any adjustments outside the scripted install

Appears you have.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Captain
    Well actually the ProStick+ requires some gain reduction with a decent antenna, but that's just optimization.
    It should still have good reception at -10.

beast-tcp as receiver-type is only used if you start dump1090 independently of fr24feed, which you don't.

Well moonraker apparently haven't read about this interference problem a couple of times.
    It doesn't happen too often, but when the LNA in front of the filter is overloaded, you need extra filtering.

Only 35 nmi range with a normal stick and decent antenna also points at strong interference by the way.

Another alternative to the somewhat expensive combination i linked before would probably be the green radarbox flight stick.
    They have the SAW filter placed before the LNA.

Did you remove power for changing sticks?
    Otherwise if one stick works and the other doesn't, then the configuration is not the problem.

You could do a spectrum scan with the old stick and new stick, will be an interesting comparison:
    https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...ignals-In-Area

Passenger
    Thanks Father O'Blivion for clarification. So many places in the forums say don't use DVBT with Dump 1.15. Wish old info could be weeded out to avoid confusion.
    Wiedehopf, thanks for the info, I will see if I can sort out a spectrum scan but got a lot on my plate before I fly back to UK on 4 Sept. I had hoped to leave a good system running before I leave.